Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Installing Zenoah G-38 with carb pushrod

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Installing Zenoah G-38 with carb pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing Zenoah G-38 with carb pushrod

I will send you a a good used G38 with a WTA6A carb on it...If it runs better than yours, keep it and send me yours and whatever parts are left over...There will be a return UPS label in the box, you will pay nothing ....
UPS Friday, it should be there next week....
Old 11-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Tim Jones
My Feedback: (1)

Did some pokin and fitting.
Found that if I put on the adapter (ZEN13810) that is supposed to fix the (WTA6) linkage problem, it only gets a little better as far as geometry, but still a challenge.
Took the carb (WT-330) from my G-26 and mounted it on the G-38 with the adapter (ZEN13810). Looks like it was made to be that way. Perfectly vertical throttle shaft and choke shaft. Fuel connection points the right way. adjustment needles are on top toward the front. I'll be able to make a choke shaft extension to extend the shaft through the bottom of the cowl, providing for easy choke operation.

So, ordered a new WT-330 from an online equipment supply.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Antique

Never saw a G26 with a 330 carb on it...The stock carb on a G26PU is a 645and has the same bolt pattern and alignment as the WT338....The WTA6 is different and will not work with the adapter Horizon sells for the new style G38....Horizon has never made an adapter for the WTA6....My adapter for the WTA6 will not work with the WT338....
Old 11-24-2006, 06:04 PM
bdelmonte

I will wait for Ralph's good used G38 with a WTA6A carb on it to get the correct installation of this cab on my G38. Then, I will send back everything that I do not use to
Ralph.

Tomorrow I am taking my Fly Baby with G38 to AMA flying field to begin engine break-in.

Bryan

Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
bdelmonte

I found the scrap cylinder, which I stored with the second adapter ($25), which is for a WTA6 carb with a tube adapter and has a bolt thread stripped.

I reversed the Walbro carbo 180 degrees from the above picture and correctly aligned the pulse line holes between the G38 cycliner, adapater and carb.

When my hand turning did not provide enough gas to spark plug, a heavy duty Sullivan Dynatron starter was needed to get it started. It sounded nice when it ran shortly before closing it down due to temporary throttle linkage.

I am waiting for Ralph with RCIgnitions to provide a carb adapter that correctly aligns to vertical throttle with my WTA6 without a choke.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Antique

I didn't send the whole used engine...I sent a WTA6 carb bolted to the correct adapter and a DuBro 2-56 link connected to the steel piece on the end of the carb shaft..You can put a throttle connector on the other end of the carb shaft if you want the throttle pushrod to be closer to the top of the engine instead of under the carb.....I ran an engine with this carb and adapter before sending the parts...The carb is bolted to the adapter with the correct lenght bolts, and there are flathead screws in the adapter to attach it to the engine...Please send my your WTA6 carb, keep the rest....
Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
bdelmonte

It installed correctly and now just needs for me to relocate the control line for the throttle to the other side of the carb.

Thank you, Ralph!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Tim Jones
My Feedback: (1)

Certainly an error on which carb number I noted. When I recieved the "330" carb, it was completely wrong. I ordered and waited for the proper G-26 carb from Horizon. Bolted it up. Engine started on second flip of the spring starter. Eventually leaned the high needle a bit more than 1/4 turn out of the box. Runs absolutely excellent and the throttle shaft is straight as an arrow. I did have to make a small arm to bolt onto the original throttle arm to get the travel geometry right. Easily done with a small piece of flat brass, a couple of 4-40 screws, a tap and a couple of drops of loc-tite. The choke is very handy too.

Tim
Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
bdelmonte

After purchasing and building the Miller R/C high torque starter on a Sullivan Dynatron ($$), I can now start the G-38, but not obtain low idle with L screw adjustments on my Walbro WTA-6A carb installed with RC Ignition adapter.

The G-38 starts and runs at mid to high idle, but will not idle, as quickly stalls at low throttle. Today, another gasser R/C flyer checked both the throttle cable installation and transmitter settings as OK at my AMA flying field.

It appears to me and another R/C flying that the Walbro WTA-6A carb is not providing adequate vacuum at low idle. Or does it require a gallon or more of fuel to break in a G-38 and get closer to a low idle.

Is there anything that I can do here before replacing the Walbro WTA-6A with a Walbro WT338 carb and Zenoah carb adapter?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

My G-38 had the WTA-6A carb. I replaced with WT338 and it's worth the difference as far as I'm concerned. I am using the Easy link adapter from Horizon.