Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Preserving Gorilla Glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Preserving Gorilla Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dhal22
Gorilla glue has it's uses but not many in building planes. It is unmatched in sheeting balsa to foam wing cores.
I agree Gorilla glue has its place for things like gluing in wing tube sockets, servo rails, root ribs, tip ribs, leading and trailing edges on foam core sheeted wings, foam core sheeted ailerons, horizontal stabs and elevators, foam core sheeted vertical stabs and rudders, foam core sheeted turtle decks, forward decks, canopy hatches, and belly pans. With that said I would say that it has many uses on building airplanes, you can also use it for glue on sheeting, but if you want the lightest and strongest sheeting bond line then laminating epoxy resin and the use of vacuum bagging is unmatched.

I have never tried to preserve G/G, as others have stated moister gets to it so I use what I need for a build and toss the rest in the trash.

Bob
Old 03-30-2015, 05:07 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just threw out a large container of Elmers Nano glue that was about 6 years old. I thought it lasted pretty good. I noticed it isn't available any more. My basement is fairly dry, and that may have something to do with it. There was always some crust on top that needed removing. I found another good use was for repairing the toothpick stab and rudders when they snap. I just cut a little slot in the covering and squirt a bit in. It foams up and glues it well, and seals up the joint. Did that on a few swap meet planes when they were a bit soft.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:26 AM
teamwills23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingGreg
I like using polyurethane glues, such as Gorilla Glue, but have trouble keeping the glue remaining in the bottle from developing a hard crust making it impossible to get any out. I have resorted to drilling through the crust into the still liquid glue and am able to squeeze some out then. I wipe the drill clean, but there has got to be a better way. Any thoughts out there in cyberland?
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--> Hey buddy, i think we are in same boat as i also used polyurethane glues. And the answer to your prob of bottle to store it is Franklin TITEBOND 2300 12oz bottle. I personally used this glue bottle. This glue bottle is designed in such a way that it prevents dripping and sticking to your hands when applying it in small areas. It prevents no-run or drip problems when using it for different woodworking projects. Irrespective of the weather, you can use the glue, and it will not stick to the inner portion of the glue container. There are many more glue bottle that you can consider. Like - gorilla clear glue, 5.75 ounce bottle. this bottle is also good in your case.