Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Colchester Models A-4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Colchester Models A-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Colchester Models A-4

wow!!! now that's confidence.

Happy New year

ORIGINAL: tamjets

If you build a Tams A-4 with your P-60, and dont like the way it fly's...........I will buy you a P-70.

I'm putting one together here should be ready for Arizona Speed world. P-60 is the power plant.
Vin you can see it yourself. I think is way too fast on the top speed. P-70 only for short take off.
I think it will hit 200 mph wiht P-70. That is scary speed for small size airplane.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:28 PM
DAVID WILDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vin,
The COLCHESTER MODELS SKYHAWK was designed around a MW54 as the mounts are designed for this engine and 2.2 litres of fuel to cope with a larger engine.The original flew on this in China and we the importers decided to fly it on the latest Mw 44 Gold which now gives over 10lb of thrust for the review which is in the current edition of RCJI. As the P60 is slightly smaller diameter casing than the MW54 it will be fine match and i believe slightly less powerful than the current mk3 MW 54.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
jp laugier

Hello All

It looks like the same that Christen Diffusion sells (they may have swapped length and wingspan values in their website)

I am seriously considering getting into jets and I have been browsing through rcu for a while.
Eddie, can you post the remaining pages of RCJI article as I do not have access to this magazine ?
Do you have more info re. durability of landing gear and landing specs.
Do you think this is suitable for a first jet ?
I have access to a 120-metre long runway with impossible over runs (stones !), therefore I have been looking the smaller jets with 12-18lb. class turbine. I think I need an airframe that can be slowed down (flaps, deltas) as opposed to flying wing types.
The standard turbine in this class here seems to be the JetCat 60
Do you think it is the way to go?

Thanks for the invaluable information that a jet beginner can collect on RCU from the experts !

Jean-Phi
Old 01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
jp laugier

Anybody ?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM
DAVID WILDE

hI jp,
Thought i better reply as noneone else is at present but thats probably because this model is very new and not many people have got them yet.I have the only one in the u.k. at the moment as it was the review model for RCJI and before i import the model i wanted to test it out.We did find the retracts were made from quite soft ali hence when i receive my batch in about 2 weeks they will have an upgraded u/c with them so beware of buying old stock.
As for the model and the way it flies Paul Gray explains this on this thread and also in the RCJI review.It was a totally independant flight review by Paul.I have had several flights with the model now and it was flown at the Jet power meeting in Germany last year.What we did find unusual about the plane was how quickly it takes off in about 40 metres as most A4 's tend to take along time to rotate because the wheels are well behind the Cg and then leap in to the air but not with this model.
Landings are straight forward as when you put those large flaps down you can really can see the model slow down and you have to apply some power which is good because on most jets on landing you are trying to get rid of power to slow the model down.Because of its delta shape you can also pull the nose up for that final flare out for a perfect slow landing.Oh and the bit in the middle ,the flight ,is just as good with the gear up and flaps away she has a good turn of speed.
You have ample room to fly this jet from if you havenot seen the video of its very first flight check the link on post 06.
The plane was designed around a P60 although the review model had the latest MW 44 GOLD WITH over 10lb of thrust.If you have not bought an engine yet my theory for smaller models is LESS IS MORE .
DAVID WILDE COLCHESTER A1 MODELS UK IMPORTER
Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
jp laugier

Thank you David,
The flight qualities look really good ! It is getting up in my favorite list !
What kind of servos does it need ?
How is the main gear retracting in the wings? the full size A4 cinematics (forward and 90° turn) seem hard to reproduce, especially in thin wings and if the wing spar gets in the way.

JPhi