Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

SNOW ON MY FIELD HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

SNOW ON MY FIELD HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 PM
OnTheEdge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SNOW ON MY FIELD HELP!

ORIGINAL: wascamp

Holy crap!!!! Do you have plans for that thing? Its more of a snow supercharger rather than a snow blower. I could use that thing. I plow a 1/4 mile driveway and a half acre up by the house. Its got to get better mileage than my 4X4 snow plow. I even have a spare 350 small block out in the shop. I guess I could use the 440 mopar, it might pull the hill better.

http://www.v8snowblowers.com/id15.html
Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

OnTheEdge, Thanks for the link. I tried it but it just sat there. My browser is doing that a lit lately. I'll try it again later.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:30 PM
OnTheEdge

It just worked for me. Give it a try later. It's not a site for plans but rather you could buy one there I guess.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

I deleted all after.com and it worked. No price yet! Right! That means he has built one and needs some people to put up some deposits. Sounds like the BD-5.
It looks like he is using the 454 to power a hydralic pump for prpulsion and blower operation. Lots of overkill. The guy is probably a tractor pull fan. With no price posted I know it is more than I can afford. I do have most of the stuff I need to build one though. Hummmm, 600 HP Mopar 440 hipo, some stuff from Northernline and I'm off to the races.

By the way, there are 2 feet of snow on my field and the temp is about 5 below zero. I've been working out in the shop and I have fed so much wood into my stove today that I feel like a stoker on the Titanic. It's warm in front of the stove but 10 feet away I can't get gule to dry. I love this hobby.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 AM
dqman40rock
My Feedback: (89)

I flew in the snow. I went to try and clear it. To big a job. The snow was about 2.5 inches and dusty. It was like taking off in heavy grass.
No problem. Wish I got to the field earlier. It was sunny all day and a bit cold. 34 degrees. Not bad.
So thats it. If the snow is not too deep and its not wet you can fly. The only problem was on take off. The second time I took off I didnt let off the elevator to get the tail up. It took off anyway but it was a struggle. On landing it wanted to nose over but a quick up elevator took care of that.
NO SKIIS REQUIRED.
Even the smaller planes were flying.
Thanks for all the advice. Even the bad advice (stay home) Cant do that.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 AM
eagledancer

SNOW? time to build a kit!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There, see, a little snow does not stop you from doing stuff.

... In Bosnia it seemed to stop the US military from taking their vehicles outside the camp, though ...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
SpaceCowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Those plastic floats work best in powder snow. Skiis tend to get caught in the footprints where as the floats skim right over them.

If your engine will not start easy in the cold try a little WD40 to start your glow engines. I have never tried it on a gas engine but it should work too.

You will find your aircraft flys better in cold air & the prop pulls better.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

WD-40 works good on gassers too. In the last year the company that makes WD-40 switched the propellent to Co2 to make their product less flammable. So if you want to use WD-40 for start up it should be the old style WD-40 product.

Richard