Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to clean varnish off a glow engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to clean varnish off a glow engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to clean varnish off a glow engine?

I got around to runing the veo 1.00. It ran beter that it has ever run before. I actually dreaded runing the engine after I had taken it down to nothing. I realy thought I would have a miss. First engine I ever took all the way down by myself. I would recomend the Power Dissolver . As I said before I took the engine all apart and used the Power Dissolver on the parts inside as well as on the out side. Just don't let it set over night without oil on it![8D]
Old 09-23-2007, 10:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dawn Power Dissolver

I found it in the grocery store in the special cleaning products section.

It's something that wasn't around years ago, and works. The good old days sometimes weren't so good.

A crock pot also does great. Got a new one at Target for $8.00 and I forget what the antifreeze cost.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM
jjaypops

I heard BJ's Model engine service is now selling Dawn power disolver online at http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html
Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 AM
fafafly

Here's a tip on using Dawn power dissolver. HEAT, will cut the baked on oil goo fast!!!! I just clean my OS FS90II muffler. Put the item into a sandwich bag with Dawn Power dissolver(enough to cover the item and a little extra) Then place it into a pan(old pan or foil pan, this way if any leaks onto the anti-stick, the pan will not be trashed and the wife will not be MAD! Trust me!) Then place into the oven at 200 degF or less (her oven will go as low as 170F which is the setting I used) for 15 to 20 mins. Remove, let cool to the point which you you can handle it but still very warm. Then rinse well with warm/hot water, lube and you are done. It is EASY, QUICK and works very well with no srcubing.

Try it.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 AM
alqwad
My Feedback: (12)

Boil on the stove with water and dish washing powder. No bad fumes... Actually makes the house smell pretty good and won't harm the pot (nonstick). Try not to bubble over on outside of pot or the white crud may stick around for a while. Good luck.

-RME
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Tried that! I am not sure if it was the type of aluminum used in the casting, or I left it too long but it turned all my bright shiney aluminum machined surfaces gray and it kept blooming white powder out of the pores.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 PM
cashrc
My Feedback: (2)

I tried using the dawn power dissolver today, and it works great!! i have some old engines that belonged to a gentleman that I knew quite wll who has since passed away. Most of these engines are quite old, some well over 30 years, and a couple had thick layers of baked-on castor and sludge. I just put the engine in a coffe can, sprayed it liberally with dawn, and let it soak for 15-20 minutes. Then I rinse it in warm water, and dry oil the engine. They come out clean, and the machined surfaces are shiny..great stuff!!!

Cash
Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Please remember that antifreeze is both deadly and delicious to our animal friends. Your cat or dog, the songbirds and squirrels in your yard, will drink it if offered the opportunity. Even a small quantity is painfully terminal to them.

Most (all?) of the products mentioned are poisons that should used with care and should never be flushed down your drain.

- Jan
Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Klaatu

Please remember that antifreeze is both deadly and delicious to our animal friends. Your cat or dog, the songbirds and squirrels in your yard, will drink it if offered the opportunity. Even a small quantity is painfully terminal to them.

Most (all?) of the products mentioned are poisons that should used with care and should never be flushed down your drain.

- Jan
Jan's warning should be taken very seriously. AF is an insidious poison because the taste/odor is attractive not only to animals but to small children. Further, I have read of at least two men who were murdered by their wives mixing Prestone in their drinks.

jess
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used this type of antifreeze, green glycol, (with phosperous, as suggested) in crock pot. Used it full strength.
Engine is grey and looks like crap.
Obviously there is different chemical compositions of this antifreeze.
Unless someone can get VERY specific, chemical wise, I would avoid this technique.
Knowing the brand is no good. The chemicals in specific brands has been constantly in change for the last few years.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
kenh3497

I've found a four inch angle grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel does a superb of removing varnish. My first experience was not so good though as I also removed the cooling fins, mounting lugs and cylinder head. It WAS clean though. In fact it looked better than new! After a little practice, I was able to refine my technique so I was only taking about half of the mentioned items off.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
jetpack

Im wondering if brake fluid or ATF would work better in the crock pot than the glycol. I really doubt either of those two would discolor aluminum. Whether they do a good job or not in the crock pot is another story.

Any thoughts or experience with this anyone?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
kenh3497

Any product that is alkaline in nature will tend to darken aluminum. A neutral PH or slightly acidic would be better. Some cleaning products are buffered to clean without harmful effects.

Ken
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM
ferio
My Feedback: (8)

Would it hurt if I clean the piston & liner (with carbon stains) with dawn power dissolver?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: jetpack

Im wondering if brake fluid or ATF would work better in the crock pot than the glycol. I really doubt either of those two would discolor aluminum. Whether they do a good job or not in the crock pot is another story.

Any thoughts or experience with this anyone?
I don't think so, but if anyone gives it a try I'd like to know the results. I have never had a problem with discoloring from antifreeze, but some have. I think the important thing is not to let it get too hot.
My most recent effort was with an old Fox .59 that was so nasty it looked like it had some horrible disease. It came out of the pot looking like new.

jess
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
jiffrey

use tin foil screwed up and rub brings it up

Originally Posted by HighPlains
Oven cleaner eats aluminum.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 PM
balsatermite

open pore mag wheel cleaner
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM
jetpack

Aircraft Stripper - Aerosol in a bag. I never had to scrub it. The one behind it is mineral colorized.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackhead II 002.jpg
Views:	4710
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2004842   Click image for larger version

Name:	set 1 014.jpg
Views:	4633
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2004843  

Last edited by jetpack; 06-13-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:53 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed this is a seven year old post, but thought I would mention that if the motor is not running right, the piston/liner may be varnished up. It should be disassembled and scrubbed with Scotchbright and acetone or laquer thinner to remove the varnish. I have used the antifreeze and power dissolver method for the external varnish and they both work well, but don't seem to remove the internal varnish that comes from many hours of running with castor base fuel. I kind of prefer the Power Dissolver because I am too lazy to take the motor apart, or even off the plane sometimes. The Antifreeze is good for mufflers, gets inside better, but plastic parts need to be removed.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
YAT-28E

jetpack,

Were do you get Aircraft stripper? Can you tell me which product you used and what method you used?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
jetpack

I just looked online for the picture to post and seen an article it has been bought out by 3M so you might not be able to find it unless it's an old auto store.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...ripper.704411/

I put my parts in a heavy duty ziploc and sprayed them and sealed it.

Sounds like it has nitro methane as the special ingredient. It might be why it worked so well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3711_Mar-Hyde-Tal-Strip-II-Aircraft-Coating-Remover-Aerosol.jpg
Views:	4109
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	2006714  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Stick 40

I agree totally with the Dawn Power Dissolver to clean the outside of the engine.

I just posted on cleaning the fuel tank and inside of the engine. Star Tron mixed into you glow or gas/oil mix , will clean everything out.

Every engine I put it in , run better. I had a 30 year old glow tank I took out of a plane, it had green gunk in the bottome 1/4. I put glow fuel with Star Tron in and the next day it was clean, looked much like a new fuel tank.

my 4 cycle engines are running better than every. you can use it on 2 cycle / 4 cycle. it does not hurt plastic , rubber, etc.

boat people are using it, it won't hurt Aluminum or any metal.

sitcks

Last edited by Stick 40; 08-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
YAT-28E

Stick 40,

So you just add the additive to your fuel jug and run engine as usual? Which one do you use the 1 oz small engine formula??
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Stick 40

there is no 1 oz. small engine formula
Its an 8 oz bottle, one does 48 gal. and the other does 128 gal.

Its a blue bottle and the liquid is clear.

I use the 128 gal. ( both are 8 oz. in size ) I and I put 1.7 ML per gal of fuel. That's gas/oil or glow.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:32 AM
VeeAte

I use red coolant. It's the LS1 spec stuff.
This stuff is a fair bit oilier than the green coolants.

One engine went the dull dark grey colour, but that was also the first one and I let it get too hot and it boiled.

The other 8 engines came out very clean.
Can't say how it goes compared to the green stuff. Have never tried the green coolant myself.

I removed the backplates, glow plugs and mufflers. Mostly so I could drop oil onto the bearings and crankpin etc easily.
I left the engines in the crockpot for around 45 minutes a piece.
Gave them a quick scrub with a toothbrush sized plastic bristle scrubbing brush and they are good as new. The scrubbing brush I used was much stiffer than a toothbrush.

I then left them in the sun to dry out and gave them some oil.
Backplates etc were then re-attached.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.