Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

SIG 33% Edge 540T

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG 33% Edge 540T

Ok, ok .. so we have one on record, after almost 3 years on the market. I still say this is incredibly unusual!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

This HAS to be the most unsuccessful ARF in the history aeromodeling! The kit has supposedly been available since May 2005, and after searching the threads on this and the other RC websites out there, ... I am yet to find ANYONE ... who even knows of ANYONE, ... who has ever seen one at a flying field! [sm=what_smile.gif]
I guess you did not see my post above...I have flown one. Fly good but there ae better ones for sure
bubba, what made it worse than the Wildhare.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Remember, I flew it for the maiden and a couple of flights to check out trim. I gave the owner the setup he needed then he proceeded to destroy the plane because he forgot to fuel it and took off

Forget anything resembling hardcore 3D, there was just not enough throw. CG was too nose heavy and was set to the recommended spot. Engine thrust was way off. Weight was 2lbs over the high end of what SIG says. A simple harrier showed loads of wing rock... All setups were per book (engine, servos, throws, etc)

I think it would have been a good one with a bit of work but it only lived a very short time

My 33% WH shows no wing rock, the CG was dead on how I like it (recommended spot) Loads of throw on all surfaces (50+ degrees) No wing rock at all. A 3W80 flew it well but the Da85 is simply phenominal. All setups are per book as well, nothing more, nothing less
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: bubbagates

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Remember, I flew it for the maiden and a couple of flights to check out trim. I gave the owner the setup he needed then he proceeded to destroy the plane because he forgot to fuel it and took off

Forget anything resembling hardcore 3D, there was just not enough throw. CG was too nose heavy and was set to the recommended spot. Engine thrust was way off. Weight was 2lbs over the high end of what SIG says. A simple harrier showed loads of wing rock... All setups were per book (engine, servos, throws, etc)

I think it would have been a good one with a bit of work but it only lived a very short time

My 33% WH shows no wing rock, the CG was dead on how I like it (recommended spot) Loads of throw on all surfaces (50+ degrees) No wing rock at all. A 3W80 flew it well but the Da85 is simply phenominal. All setups are per book as well, nothing more, nothing less

Were the throws limited by design or your buddy's setup?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
smokin
My Feedback: (33)

i live in iowa relatively close to the sig plant and have been flying sig products for 20 plus years..... i do enjoy most all of their kits but can't really explain this one...
i am a religious attendee to the annual sig fun fly where they demo all of their products each year. i have gotten to know a few of the designers and they are great guys! BUT, nobody wants to talk about the edge! it sat there for 2 separate fun flys and did not fly (much less have fun!) i think they probably have a nice plane there but no-one there really 3d's much and really can't put her through the test! sig's customer service is excellent, their not going anywhere on you.... and i would certainly like to try one out myself. i fly 35-40 % 3d'ers and even though i am such a big sig proponent,,,,, i'm not buyin' til i see it flyin'!

matt
Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 AM
spencerk

I have recently completed and flown the Sig 33% Edge. DA-100 and 5955's all around (two in place of one for the rudder). Early days but so far a very nice place at a great price. Had to mount the DA-100 (with cans) way forward and trim out the canopy to make it balance. It has a very straight downline and couples to the gear a bit in knife but very controlable.

The snap is dramatic and big and again, easy to control as it does not over rotate. I have had to increase the rudder throws for stall turns. It come in very smooth and stable, and slows very quickly once you get the nose up. There is no stall. Very weird and so different from the Extras.

My friend has a Compo Extra 330 with a DA-100 and is very impressed with this plane. So for the less than half the price of a Compo, you can get a decent big plane. However, all the bits still cost the same so it is a small savings.

It came out at 30 lbs with the lighter DA-100 engine and I agree that the thrust maybe off a degree or two. Will adjust this weekend with some 1/16 ply shims.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 PM
firerescue_911

Belive it or not I have one just put it together and flew it last Wed. for the first time. it was alil windy, but all went well, I put a 3w-106toc, plenty of power. I have pics to post and more comments to come i'm sure.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets see some photos and more flight reports!!