Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-38 sheering woodruff keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
x-craft
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G-38 sheering woodruff keys

I agree with you, these engines are good and most worth fixing. I'm not giving up on it, I own another one currently and owned one in the past. Never had a problem with them. I've been buying my woodruff keys from the local hardware store.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G-38 sheering woodruff keys

Heart of hearts, I think Ralph is a good fellow and I believe he is honest but he and I had a serious misunderstanding regarding a carb switch resulting in my G38 sitting on the shelf for over a month. So we mutually agreed to a divorce. Maybe it's because we're both cranky old guys in our 70s.

But after I got the carb problem fixed, the hub came apart and that didn't turn out to be as bad as I first thought. After I got that fixed the ignition died. I had a spare CH synchro spark so I cut the wire to the sensor and spliced the Deans plug from the spare and got maybe two flights, then the sensor died. If you are familiar with the RCignition conversion, the sensor is down in the hub someway and the ignition is concealed in the motor mount on the rear. It's a nice configuration as long as it's working but a pain in the tail when it fails. So I decided to send it in to CH and let them do a complete conversion and that's where it stands today. Moral of the story: I don't ever want another engine with the ignition "built in". What's nice about the CH (I have four on other engines) is if it fails, which is rare, just take it off the plane and plug another one in. If the sensor fails, pop it out and glue another one in. What could be simpler.

As for the G38, I bought it new from BCMA engines already converted to EI; I didn't deal with RC ignitions at all on that. When it has run, which has been very little frankly, it runs sweet. Idles good, transitions good, and runs good at all speeds. What has happened to it is unfortunate but I expect it to be a good engine. I KNOW it is a good engine. The bad news is I have so much money in it now, I guess I could have bought a DA50 and not spent more.