Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian bbq and beers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 AM
dabvid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian bbq and beers

i only have one question mainly for you DI. i was just curious as to why you are getting the magister. you pretty much already have one in the MiniMag. also remember you have to have a bigger, much bigger feild to fly in as it is an equivelent to a '40 size trainer' however you guys live in more rural areas so the flying feilds are plentyfull. good luck with it and i hope they fly just as good if not better than the MiniMag.
regards,
dave
Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 AM
digitalimages

Dave

I wanted a Magister when I bought the MiniMag, in fact I nearly bought one, but for the fact that I didn't have enough money to fit out so the MiniMag was the next best thing.

The field where Crawf and I go is very big, as Clovus would confirm as he's been there, plus, I have a relative who is an hour or so drive away, who had about 300 acres and which I'm welcome to use. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that I may drive down to Machette's place and fly with him - for a first flight for both of us.

They do fly well, that's without a doubt. I've been reading the Magister thread for months now, also finding any info I can and so it's not been a spare of the minute decision.

The short answer to your question would have been "Because I want to" but I hope this fills in the gaps
Old 06-27-2007, 03:43 AM
maiden-crash

Digital, 85 dollars is a down right rip off. I have an lhs close to me that is very cheap, best prices you find will be here. I will give you a link that go's straight into the radio section, there you will see the servos. [link=http://www.rojshobbies.com/Radios.html]HERE[/link] ya go.

Ps, also you may want to consider the JR 331, it may be a better servo than both 81 and 85.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 AM
ozrcboy

DI,

Can only make a couple of general comments:

Rather than getting big capacity LiPo packs, which aren't actually at a mass production price point you can always join two smaller packs in parrallel - for example - 2 3s 2200mAh from Inflex (NQRC) will probably set you back about $120 (if you wait for them to be on special which seems to be every second week) and will give you 4400mAh capacity etc. Provided you don't have a high voltage requirement this may prove to be the cheapest way to provide flight time.

With respect to prices on stuff for larger models you can always check out my lhs website http://www.nitrodude.com.au - Paul and John always have a fair price up, it almost always competitive and when it isn't, its usually cause they haven't noticed an adjustment in upstream pricing yet. Unlike a lot of online retailers they are into bigger models/nitro etc and so may prove as a useful place for comparision.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 AM
digitalimages

MC

Thanks for that link !! I see what you mean ! Geez !!

Cheers

** I notice it's less than a day and we're already onto Page 2 !!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 AM
maiden-crash

I also reckon you can go a bit higher than 3300mah, it really wont give you much flying time. I think a 3700- 4000 mah battery will give you better flight time and will further lengthen the life of your battery. You could, to save money, run two 1800-2200mah batteries in parallel to double amperage. Thats all I can think off for now, I hope you and Machette work out a reasonable option, and wish you the best of luck in building/ flying.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 AM
maiden-crash

Oz!! You bet me to posting! How many times does this happen to me per day
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 AM
digitalimages

Oz

Thanks for that - what you say makes sense and I'll go and look at the link you posted as well.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 AM
drunkenbushman

G'day guys,

Im Drunkenbushman or DB . Named that because i live in the bush and like to drink beer.

Im 22 I live in sydney and work as a sales rep for coca cola. Got into planes when i was a little kid reading my dads old biggles books. Wanted to fly RC since i was 13 or so but really only got into it 3 years ago when i had money to buy planes.

I have a 46 size Kyosho Calmateo trainer, ive got 3 strykers and a Club Series CAC Boomerang in progress. Previouse planes are my 1st stryker and a GWS Zero. Both retired to due reaching there crash quota.

Been with this thread for a while, read it daily and love it.

Next rounds on me fellas!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:05 AM
drunkenbushman

I also wish i was in time for the 1st page but bloody work meetings run over time and then sydney traffic is crap [:@]
Old 06-27-2007, 04:06 AM
ozrcboy

Great minds and all that jazz I spose MC.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Crawf_

DI

I have a cable which I soldered together for running 2 x 2200 LiPos as 4400mAh

You're welcome to it if you like.... only thing is it may be cursed... I think the last flight it did was in the AcroMaster tragedy.....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:11 AM
bleary

Also DI,a Kv of 830 is fine for a larger plane,1100 is actually quite hot for a decent size jobby,you can always run a larger/more pitch prop,or (heaven forbid) ease off the loud pedal.
Some of the guys in the hobby shops have absolutely no idea what they are on about....the problem is,they bullcrap to cover up their ignorance.....any number of motors would power the magistar,same with the lipos...good idea to parallel them as well,gives more options down the line.
Will see if I can ferret out a good deal on a motor and ESC...
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 AM
machette

Hi Folk, I'm the blonde in this union with DI, so don't expect any prophetic statements
I approached Digi instead of you speed heads about helping me select a plane......I'd been looking at the Maggie and thought it the plane for me.......a little slow but always eventually gets there
And Dabvid and MC, you two would have me in a Stryker D+ or something.....the Magister will let me introduce gliders to these kids around here ....and a few old blokes too I'm guessing. I really want something that will land and taxy (sp??) on grass .....and I have a cricket field next door .....and my own back paddock when I get proficient enough to dodge the trees a little better.
I skid in my little foamy ExtraFun 4ch .....but good landing or bad she still nearly always suffers damage with her little tiny wheels ....she's 80% glue again......that's be the third fuse.
These are the reasons I want the Magister......I'll come back with the biography after as the grandson has challenged me to touch and goes with a Yak on the sim.......should really see what's close to a magister on the sim and practice that.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:24 AM
bleary

There are a few bits and pieces on [link=http://stores.ebay.com.au/RevolutionShop]this[/link] site that will fit the bill,I have bought from them before with no dramas.At the very least it gives you a good idea on prices.....
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 AM
digitalimages

Bleary

Thanks for that link, having a look now. It's good to knowthat you've bought from them before without problems.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 AM
mezd

hey guys i need a cheap 7.4v 800mah lipo to go into my twister bell. Any ideas where i might get.. or can i go a higher mah in something that small??
I can get the genuine battery for about $35, which is probably about as good as i'll get - but doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:20 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

Thanks for that offer - I'll chat with you about it when I next see you. I could make up another for Machette if we go that route

Hope the wind drops sometime soon - how's the build on your new one going ?

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: digitalimages

Crawf

Thanks for that offer - I'll chat with you about it when I next see you. I could make up another for Machette if we go that route

Hope the wind drops sometime soon - how's the build on your new one going ?

Cheers
DI

No worries.. let me know if you want it... the MPXT is essentially complete.. just need to drop in the Rx and hook up the servos and set the throws..

Unfortunately wind is forecast to be cr@p until Sunday.. I really hope they're wrong.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 AM
tam popo

Hi guys. I think I'm the first o/seas visiter. OK, overview:
Tampopo (my fave carnal position besides a number 73!)
Work: First person in Europe to operate a computer for major newspapers, 3 year stint in East Lans Fusiliers (couldn't kill so left): met wifey (Eileen) and moved to Glasgow and built up a sandwich/takeaway chain and sold out with enough to live on for rest of life (I'm 55). Bored stupid so did voluntary work counseling for alcohol/drugs (see me DB!!) and now get paid for it 16 hours a week. I made the pledge to abstain in respect of my clients.
Got into flying cos of boredom and insomnia. When I'm not building I'm flying/crashing. Not the best flyer but any flight is good. Because of my fortunate situation I could live anywhere but I chose Glasgae. My typical day: Wake up, check weather, fly or build, check this and other sites, bed!! Did I say I was bored!! I'm a closet Aussie (not an Aussie in the closet!!) Building/soldering to do, byeee[8D]
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 AM
digitalimages

Tam

That's a good insight to you and your life, thanks for sharing it. There's only one thing, if you're able to go where you want, why aren't you here ?

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 AM
drunkenbushman

Im not an alcoholic, im a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Crawf_

Pics of the MPXT right out of the box.... almost nothing to do except bolt it all together!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27717.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	712094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90115.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	712095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33626.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	712096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74756.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	712097  
Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 AM
drunkenbushman

I think the next plane i get will be the plug n play MPXT then the Plug n Play PZ Spit.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 AM
digitalimages

Hey Crawf

Looks great ! Did Clovus tell you what he did with the wheel spats - to stop them turning over etc, or was that just a problem he had on his specifically.. I can't recall what he said now. You're right though, there's almost nothing to do on it !

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.