Fuji BT-50 EIS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 PM
mfuess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuji BT-50 EIS

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

mfuess,
I owned a BT50 as well as a still own a 43, which is installed in my GP Ultimate. I fly this set up for almost two years now and know I am a little underpowered. A strong 46 would do much better, I guess. But the one thing I can honestly say is that the Fuji never let me down. It always fired up by hand and still runs flawlessly. REcently I changed to a Brisson muffler and noticed a slight increase in power. Would I buy that engine again? Probably not, because since I purchased this motor there are a lot more choices in this class, now. I can buy a Brillelli for less and have a stronger motor. The quality of the Fuji is certainly very good. The Bt 50 was a rather disapointment. But even that motor was running O.K. Can't compare it with a DA50, for crying out loud.
I know what you're talking about! The BT-50 EIS is a short stroke 46.5cc engine. It certainly won't EVER turn a 22x8 prop like a "real" 50cc engine, but at least I got mine running up to par with other 46cc engines. And your're right about prices... There's half a dozen engines out there in the same size category that are a LOT less expensive. But in Fuji's defense, it really is the smoothest single cylinder I've seen in a long time, except for maybe the DA-50.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:26 AM
mfuess

I gave the BT-50/Monster a real hard workout yesterday and the engine did OK. To no surprize, the engine does a lot better on smaller diameter props with big pitch. The 32mm stroke just can't handle big props too well. My engine runs its best with a Biela 18x12, APC 18x10, and a Zinger 20x8. The woodies do very well on the transition but the carbon fibers generate the best thrust. Before I switched ignition & bumped up the timing the BT-50 wouldn't pull any of these props with athority. And I still don't understand why Fuji doesn't move the exhaust around to the other side! It's such a simple job, and it makes a world of difference when you are replacing an existing engine.

Fuji engines are well made and they appear to pratice good QC during assembly. Now if they would pump up the timing, get the exhaust orientation correct, lower the price a bit, and call it a BT-46, they'd have a winner.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:16 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

mfuess,
I owned a BT50 as well as a still own a 43, which is installed in my GP Ultimate. I fly this set up for almost two years now and know I am a little underpowered. A strong 46 would do much better, I guess. But the one thing I can honestly say is that the Fuji never let me down. It always fired up by hand and still runs flawlessly. REcently I changed to a Brisson muffler and noticed a slight increase in power. Would I buy that engine again? Probably not, because since I purchased this motor there are a lot more choices in this class, now. I can buy a Brillelli for less and have a stronger motor. The quality of the Fuji is certainly very good. The Bt 50 was a rather disapointment. But even that motor was running O.K. Can't compare it with a DA50, for crying out loud.
I ran my BT-50 with the stock muffler then switched to a B&B. The Bennett muffler does let the engine run a bit faster, about 300 RPM's more. That's not much, but more is more. A Zenoah G62 exhaust pattern is the same as the Fuji but the bolt diameter is bigger on the Fuji. By comparison, the DA-50, BME 50, Taurus 50, are potent. I have a Brillelli 46 and it's a sweet engine but it can't keep up with the big-boy 50's. And it shouldn't. My Fuji is now running as strong as the Brillelli and maybe a little stronger. But they're almost identical in bore/stroke.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
SFSIGMA

mfuess
I need help, I know nothing about gas engines. I have a New Fuji 86 EIS. It runs for about 15 minutes and quits. The first time it ran for 45 minutes with no trouble. It turns a Biela 26X10 at 5400. I have bought a new EIS unit and waiting for it to come. What should I do, if this does not work, go to the RC EXL unit? How do I get one, and what I need to make it work, Thank you for your time. The Airplane is a Super Fly'n King, about 43lbs.
SFSIGMA
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: SFSIGMA

mfuess
I need help, I know nothing about gas engines. I have a New Fuji 86 EIS. It runs for about 15 minutes and quits. The first time it ran for 45 minutes with no trouble. It turns a Biela 26X10 at 5400. I have bought a new EIS unit and waiting for it to come. What should I do, if this does not work, go to the RC EXL unit? How do I get one, and what I need to make it work, Thank you for your time. The Airplane is a Super Fly'n King, about 43lbs.
SFSIGMA
Not a problem! "If" The EIS proves to be the problem switching to RCEXL isn't a big deal. I switched my BT-50 over and it runs better than it ever did. But it really sounds like you have a vapor lock issue brewing... none the less, Private E-mail me and we can try a few things to isolate the problem.

Mark
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
SFSIGMA

mfuess
I received the new EIS from Tower and it works great!
[email protected]
My next one will be a DA.
Thanks Gary
Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 AM
mfuess

Gary,

You won't be disappointed with DA!

Mark
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Glad you are flying a DA! I would also look into the Brilelli 60gt and the DL 50. I obtained a Fuji 50 by way of a trade and was rid of it by way of a sale There are just too many good choices for a gas engine in the 50cc range.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Glad you are flying a DA! I would also look into the Brilelli 60gt and the DL 50. I obtained a Fuji 50 by way of a trade and was rid of it by way of a sale There are just too many good choices for a gas engine in the 50cc range.
That's a FACT! I have had EXCELLENT success with BME, and others. I'm currently testing a 3MM TOC 53 engine... so far so good.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

I have 5 flights on an older Fuji Imvac (like current BT-50SB) 46.5cc Gas Engine w/ Webro Carb without choke that was converted using CH Electronic Ignition and installed in Stinger 120 (old version - smoked canopy, etc.). It has a likely B&B engine muffler and Biela 20X10 prop. Thus, this engine is like the Fuji BT-50 EIS now. It has more power at high throttle than needed for my sport flying, but I hope to use it for learning beyond basic aerobatics.

This engine starts up fine, when carb is heavy choked to dripping, but surges in the mid-range throttle (not nice for take offs). It has stalled prior to landing approach on both flights after installing a optical kill switch purchased here at RCU. It also is getting steady compliants from the "noise police" at my AMA field.

Given that I could not keep this plane on the landing field during the last stall on approach to land, the B&B style engine muffler was damaged and will be replaced by the Bisson Inverted hoping for better noise abatement.

Any suggestions on making corrections to avoid the stalls on landing approach and smooth out the mid range when running this Fuji 46.5?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone ever read an engine or ARF review from a major RC magazine that didn't describe the product as flying perfectly, or engine ran flawlessly ? In fact, very few articles can be trusted entirely because of course, the product distributor might cancel their advertisement in that magazine. Of course, I enjoy reading RC Report because they generally do a good job letting the reader know what was wrong and whether they'd really recommend the product.

I agree that if a manufacturer of a motor says it's engine is a certain size, then it should be (at least within a couple of cc's anyway). Same thing for weight and if publishes performance specs, it should mention what type of prop and size was used.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 AM
PAPE

ORIGINAL: emailbanter

Has anyone ever read an engine or ARF review from a major RC magazine that didn't describe the product as flying perfectly, or engine ran flawlessly ? In fact, very few articles can be trusted entirely because of course, the very product distributor might cancel their advertisement. Of course, I enjoy reading RC Report because they generally do a good job letting the reader know what was wrong and whether they'd really recommend the product.

I agree that if a manufacturer of a motor says it's engine is a certain size, then it should be (at least within a couple of cc's anyway). Same thing for weight and if publishes performance specs, it should mention what type of prop and size was used.

I agree with you abouth that, you know thos 1-10 scales RC driver has. Every single product revewed gets 9 and 10 ocacionaly an 8 and rerly a 7 never ever lower