Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Low cost 12V Power Supplies?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Low cost 12V Power Supplies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low cost 12V Power Supplies?

350 watts on a 350 watt power supply and 250 on a 250, i think you are wondering about amperage. that would depend on the power supply. my converted atx power supply has 15 amp ratting on the 12v rails and 5 or 6 on the 5v.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low cost 12V Power Supplies?

As these are switching PC power supplies you can normally draw just shy of the AMP rating for the particular voltage tap w/o problems.

As indicated in some of the instructions to do the conversion, you can use multiple taps to get a whole range of voltages too.

I've done all of this on four supplies now, and it has been easy and cheap.

I obtained everything from Ratshack's electronics bins, including the sandstone resistors and heat sinks, banana/post receptacles, etc.

I think that on a per supply basis I spent about $15.00 in parts.

You do far more cutting of old wires than soldering.

BTW: I found a large ON/OFF switch and put that in the hole left from the removal of the supply to PC wires. It makes the whole thing look very neat.