Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Corby Starlet

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 05:40 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, Maxie, I forget! I usually grind down a bit of the flange of a T-nut to get it to fit if need be, but whether I did so here I don't recall.

Note that I didn't bring a wire outside the cowl for the high-speed needle - have to shut it down, then reach in through the front to make needle adjustments.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 PM
maxiemac

Latest steps - pics show second stage of my method of mounting the engine (1st stage = measure and rout the slots) with steel bars bolted to engine box - next pic shows 8 mm ply backing plate behind routed engine box and T nuts for steels and also the fuel tank ply floor with tri edges to locate tank - also I have fuel proofed the front and as much of the insides as I can get to - as I'm not allowing for fitment of 2 different engine types as RB8 has done, I didn't have to modify much of the existing structure - pic 3 shows tank in place sitting on 3 mm foam - a piece of 1/2" foam will sit above the tank (not shown) and a piece of ply will sit across the back of the tank to hold in place - more soon - cheers - maxiemac
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9450.JPG
Views:	990
Size:	689.8 KB
ID:	2153804   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9451.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	549.5 KB
ID:	2153805   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9452.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	2153806  

Last edited by maxiemac; 03-22-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:25 PM
maxiemac

Patrick - I sent you a PM re message below - cheers - maxiemac

Last edited by maxiemac; 03-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (243)

Tony,

I've been looking for this airplane for a long time. I saw one fly at a scale event a few years ago, and it was fantastic. I don't know what power was used. They are sold in Australia, but they won't ship to the USA. If you find one, please let me know!

Patrick
Old 07-01-2017, 05:08 PM
corbystarlet11

G-day everyone

I've just bought this ARF and struggling on what engine to use. I would like to keep the whole model under 7KG. think that's possible with a Saito FG40? either that maybe a Saito FA182TD.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 PM
maxiemac

to corbystarlett11 - I know this is a very late reply and possibly of little use - however, the brochure quoted 7.8 kg flying weight using a Magnum 180 (30cc) four stroke that according to the reviews flew this model adequately - the Saito FG40 (40 cc petrol) 3.5 hp quoted, I think would have marginal more power than Magnum 180 (30 cc) nitro/methanol 4 stroke motor but even with either motor fitted the weight will be more than 7 kg - my Corby is fitted with an O.S. 40 cc twin (new/old stock) and powers the plane at about 60-70 degrees vertical to maybe 300 feet before running out of puff and this model weighs 9.3 kg and needed 168 grams of tail weight to balance because of the heavier engine up front - my view: the FG40 is better suited than the 182 twin at 2.8 hp. - cheers - maxiemac
Old 08-02-2019, 12:46 AM
P. Winters

Hello Chris,

I just picked up a used Corby Starlet (1/3 scale), but it has no cowl. Do you know where I can purchase a cowl, new or used?

Many thanks,

Patrick
Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 PM
maxiemac

Hi Patrick - is this Corby the 38% red, white, blue, gold color scheme with 86 inch wingspan made by Sportsman Aviation?
I don't know who the US distributors/sales outlets are, maybe a Google search on Sportsman Aviation might find something.
In the meantime I have made an enquiry on the Australian agent Tates Hobbies aka RCWorld and asked if they have any spare part cowls in stock - they have replied they have two (2) new cowls in stock at A$75.00 each - now I know Tates won't export so if you can find one in the US well and good - if not I can buy one for you, wrap, pack and ship to you from Australia.

Obviously there will be a freight charge involved that I would have to get a quote for to send by parcel post - the US$ cowl cost would be around $50 plus shipping - I can tell you to make a mould and make your own cowl would be a big job - if you need more info or I can help further, let me know - cheers - maxiemac

Last edited by maxiemac; 08-06-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: updating info
Old 08-07-2019, 04:00 AM
redball8

Sportsman Aviation Corby Stark ARFs were distributed in the US by Hobby People (formerly Hobby Shack), and after a long run are no longer in business. There were hobby shops down under that had the ARFs and parts, but sadly no longer. You'll likely need to build a new cowl, from foam & fiberglass.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 AM
redball8

There are “reshippers” to whom you can send a package, and they will reship it to you. I once went after a Kalt 45 in the UK; the fellow didn’t want to ship overseas but there were reshippers in the UK to whom he could send the motor, and they would repackage it and send it to me in the States. Imagine there are such services in Oz.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 AM
P. Winters

Default Corby Starlet Cowl

Originally Posted by maxiemac
Hi Patrick - is this Corby the 38% red, white, blue, gold color scheme with 86 inch wingspan made by Sportsman Aviation?
I don't know who the US distributors/sales outlets are, maybe a Google search on Sportsman Aviation might find something.
In the meantime I have made an enquiry on the Australian agent Tates Hobbies aka RCWorld and asked if they have any spare part cowls in stock - they have replied they have two (2) new cowls in stock at A$75.00 each - now I know Tates won't export so if you can find one in the US well and good - if not I can buy one for you, wrap, pack and ship to you from Australia.

Obviously there will be a freight charge involved that I would have to get a quote for to send by parcel post - the US$ cowl cost would be around $50 plus shipping - I can tell you to make a mould and make your own cowl would be a big job - if you need more info or I can help further, let me know - cheers - maxiemac
Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply, and your help with this! Yes, it is the 86 inch wingspan version. I have done extensive searching online with no success. I would love it if you would buy one for me. The cost estimates you describe seem reasonable. Can I pay you using PayPal, or do you prefer another method? If it’s easier to communicate with email, my email address is: [email protected]

Many thanks Chris!

Patrick
Old 08-07-2019, 07:00 AM
P. Winters

Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply, and your help with this! Yes, it is the 86 inch wingspan version. I have done extensive searching online with no success. I would love it if you would buy one for me. The cost estimates you describe seem reasonable. Can I pay you using PayPal, or do you prefer another method? If it’s easier to communicate with email, my email address is: [email protected]

Many thanks Chris!

Patrick
Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 PM
maxiemac

Hello Patrick - I'll go buy you one, pack it and get some freight quotes for your approval and then talk money transfer - I don't have paypal facility but I have done AUD bank transfer to USD banks, I'm sure US bank to Oz bank can be arranged from your end - there will be some small fees payable but nothing that hurts too much.

And you have been talking to Trevor, not Chris White who was the model designer of the Corby - I'll give more detail in an email message direct to you rather than on here - cheers - Trevor aka as maxiemac.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:54 PM
P. Winters

Originally Posted by maxiemac
Hello Patrick - I'll go buy you one, pack it and get some freight quotes for your approval and then talk money transfer - I don't have paypal facility but I have done AUD bank transfer to USD banks, I'm sure US bank to Oz bank can be arranged from your end - there will be some small fees payable but nothing that hurts too much.

And you have been talking to Trevor, not Chris White who was the model designer of the Corby - I'll give more detail in an email message direct to you rather than on here - cheers - Trevor aka as maxiemac.
Thanks so much Trevor! I’ll watch for your email. 😀
Old 01-30-2021, 04:11 PM
P. Winters

Hello,

I saw your ad on RC universe regarding the 1/3 Corby Starlet. I’m wondering if you might have an instruction manual for this airplane? I will happily pay for a photo copy of the manual.

Many thanks,

Patrick
Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 PM
redball8

Default Manual

Patrick, I’ve a manual for the big Corby and could scan it into a pdf, if that is helpful. Could email it to you (gratis) or print it out and mail it to you (for postage and nominal printing cost).
Bill
Old 01-30-2021, 07:45 PM
P. Winters

Default Corby

Originally Posted by redball8
Patrick, I’ve a manual for the big Corby and could scan it into a pdf, if that is helpful. Could email it to you (gratis) or print it out and mail it to you (for postage and nominal printing cost).
Bill
Bill,

Thanks so much! A PDF would be great.

My email is...

[email protected]

Thank you!!!
Old 01-31-2021, 07:40 AM
redball8

Sent as two files, Patrick, to keep the size under 10MB. If these don't go through, will break it down a little more.
Bill
Old 08-16-2023, 09:35 PM
P. Winters

Hello,

do you still have your Corby Starlet?

patrick
Old 08-17-2023, 03:47 AM
redball8

Yes, still have it. Changed the Rx battery from NiMH to LiFe, and flew it a few weeks ago. And still have another little one (52/70), new in box.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:08 AM
P. Winters

Thanks for your response. I have a new 1/3 scale version that I am getting ready to assemble. I want to power it with a four stroke glow engine. I am considering a 1.80, a 2.20 or a 300 twin. I have all three. Any thoughts about those power plants? Thanks! Patrick
Old 08-17-2023, 08:22 AM
redball8

I had actually built mine to take a Super Tigre 3000 or OS FT-240 - that is, a 30cc single two-stroke or a 40cc twin four-stroke. Carb position for each engine is very different, so I built it so the tank was either high or low in the fuse. It flew fine with either, built early on I settled on the twin - just sounded so cool, and there was plenty of room for both cylinders within the cowl. It's a glow motor and I have an onboard glow unit, but really just need it for starting.

I did seal all the film edges with 1/4" wide clear Ultra Cote because some folks said it tended to come loose. Chris White said at the time they had fixed that problem, but I added the clear anyway - haven't had any issues in 10+ years! I scaled it out, too, full-depth cockpit with panel, venturi, etc. Canopy was cracked up front, so my solution was to mold a separate front piece and make the rear canopy sliding. Also used nylon bolts for the landing gear so it wouldn't rip out the lower fuse on a bad landing. Have attached a pdf of my build notes, and happy to address any questions as best I can!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Big Corby Build Notes.pdf (2.57 MB, 25 views)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:18 AM
P. Winters

Default Corby Starlet

Originally Posted by redball8
I had actually built mine to take a Super Tigre 3000 or OS FT-240 - that is, a 30cc single two-stroke or a 40cc twin four-stroke. Carb position for each engine is very different, so I built it so the tank was either high or low in the fuse. It flew fine with either, built early on I settled on the twin - just sounded so cool, and there was plenty of room for both cylinders within the cowl. It's a glow motor and I have an onboard glow unit, but really just need it for starting.

I did seal all the film edges with 1/4" wide clear Ultra Cote because some folks said it tended to come loose. Chris White said at the time they had fixed that problem, but I added the clear anyway - haven't had any issues in 10+ years! I scaled it out, too, full-depth cockpit with panel, venturi, etc. Canopy was cracked up front, so my solution was to mold a separate front piece and make the rear canopy sliding. Also used nylon bolts for the landing gear so it wouldn't rip out the lower fuse on a bad landing. Have attached a pdf of my build notes, and happy to address any questions as best I can!
thanks so much for all this great information. I’m getting excited about starting this project. I tend to think I will go with a 300 twin. As you suggest, it will fit inside the cow in sounds great. I appreciate all of your help!

Patrick.