Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DA 100 or 85 on the new 35% plane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA 100 or 85 on the new 35% plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DA 100 or 85 on the new 35% plane

ORIGINAL: jsm77777

I also hear that the 85's are running hot, and overheating, and it makes sense since the smaller engine will have to work harder compared to the 100.
I have not heard that nor have I experienced it. I have flown 4 DA-85s and sold a few dozen, have heard absolutely no reports of overheating. They all (at least all that I know about) run great and have been 100% reliable.

One should be careful about starting rumors like this, it's not nice to pass along unsubstantiated rumors that could hurt a product's sales. If you have details then by all means publish, but "I hear" is not good enough.

TF
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM
danielwidman79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much lighter is the new version of DA 100?
I have seen different valus!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
dbcaster

I have flown my 85 in both a DR Hobbies Extra and a BME Ultimate and have not had any issues with over heating.
As far as the weight difference of the new 100. As posted by DA 6 oz.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: jsm77777

I would ONLY use the 85 if I wanted the lightest engine for a given airframe. I will stick with my 100, and 150 twin cylinder engines. Smooth, powerful, and reliable. I also hear that the 85's are running hot, and overheating, and it makes sense since the smaller engine will have to work harder compared to the 100. Nuff said for me. Scott

That's odd , i cruise through these threads on here and over at the other sites , and haven't heard or seen one thread that states this. I think if you doing long hovers , with a badly designed engine baffling or something , that may cause it. But other than that , i haven't seen anything about this. I agree with Tom , it's not to cool to spread bad rumor's like this.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
bgold

I think your choice depends on your airplane. The EF Yak is a big 35% plane with a lot of frontal drag, the QQ is a little smaller and the Extra is sleek compared to the Yak's and an excellent choice for the DA-85. If you want a Yak and the 85 I'd look for a 33% size. You want a big Yak I'd get the DA-100, I've got one on a 30 LBS SD Yak, it's perfect.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: bgold

I think your choice depends on your airplane. The EF Yak is a big 35% plane with a lot of frontal drag, the QQ is a little smaller and the Extra is sleek compared to the Yak's and an excellent choice for the DA-85. If you want a Yak and the 85 I'd look for a 33% size. You want a big Yak I'd get the DA-100, I've got one on a 30 LBS SD Yak, it's perfect.
Thats exactly what I was thinking too--
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
danielwidman79

Im just going to place an order, is there different lengt on the stand-off?
What is the most common lenght?

By the way, i just talked to QQ and he rekomended DA85 to the Pyton and DA100 to the YAK!

Daniel
Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't agree with the vibration on the 85. I've been around one and it shakes twice as bad as my 105. The elevators on the airplane look like they are flapping for take off!! No way is the 85 smoother than a twin and I've been around both!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: danielwidman79

By the way, i just talked to QQ and he rekomended DA85 to the Pyton and DA100 to the YAK!

Daniel
Did he say why ?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
JEFFRO503

ORIGINAL: Steve

I don't agree with the vibration on the 85. I've been around one and it shakes twice as bad as my 105. The elevators on the airplane look like they are flapping for take off!! No way is the 85 smoother than a twin and I've been around both!!!

hehe......love statements like this.

there could have been all sorts of problems with aircraft vibrating like that. First clue is a prop that's completely out of balance , and /OR a mis-tuned motor. It could also be the way it was mounted to the firewall , what kind of mount was he using , or was he using stand off's?? ( which DA recommends not using stand off's ) I would say that about 99% of the threads i have seen on this motor ( and i've read just about every single thread on it , including 33% and 35% plane build threads) that it runs smooth as silk. So there is something else wrong here. I would have the owner recheck all his mounting , his prop balance and even a hub balance. I have read some guys ( even though it's not needed all that often) balance the hub on the bigger gas singles. Also.....so far in almost all the threads i have read , the DA-85 if mounted and tuned right , will run just as smooth as a 100. I don't get the negitivity from some people.....very , very few people at that mind you.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hi

I own or have owned The DA 50, 100, 150 and have flown the 85.

What Model are U thinking about putting it in?

Do U need the weight up front it is common to need the Nose weight on some models?

The Twin Cylinder DA and the Singles are about the same in smoothness do to the way the engines cranks are set up.

I find the DA100 better suited to the larger 35% Models on the market.

Besides I have know idea how you Guy's think you are going to be able to balance a lighter weight Motor on some of the larger Airframes

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33839.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	912586  
Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
dbcaster

ORIGINAL: Steve

I find it interesting that pretty much all of the negative posts on the 85 come from people that don't actually own one. I heard they shake, my freinds vibrates, blah, blah, blah. I would say the majority of people out there that actually own one have nothing but great things to say. As mentioned there are alot of things that can cause vibrations other than the engine design.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
danielwidman79

No I dont realy know why, i didnt talk to QQ i talked to what i think was his wife!
She said that the weightsaving on the 85 was god for the Pyton.

But it was a bad telecomunication so i had difficult to hear!

I bought the DA100 and the DA85!!

So now im waiting here in Europe on a container that will cross the Atlantic sea!!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
dbcaster

ORIGINAL: danielwidman79

No I dont realy know why, i didnt talk to QQ i talked to what i think was his wife!
She said that the weightsaving on the 85 was god for the Pyton.

But it was a bad telecomunication so i had difficult to hear!

I bought the DA100 and the DA85!!

So now im waiting here in Europe on a container that will cross the Atlantic sea!!
That is great, now you can do a comparison and post your findings. Please let us know which one you prefer.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I know something about setup!! Nuf said.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
dbcaster

Since you never stated that you set it up, I don't see how your setup ability was ever called into question? Without giving any details other than saying you have been around ONE, nobody really has any solid information to go by. As stated the 85 mounting/stand-off setup is critical. I can say my 85 is as smooth as the 4 different twins that I have had but that is just my own personal experience.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
JEFFRO503

I have read a few other threads on the DA-85 as well that stated , if for some reason you couldn't hear the motor , or see the prop spinning , you could barely see any vibration what so ever. And Steve , i didn't call you out on "your setup skills" , i was questioning the setup skills of the other airplane you mentioned. If you have 99% of the DA-85's running smooth as silk , and you came across one that was vibrating badly.....there is something wrong. And like i said above , it could be numerous things involved in that. Hell.....the guy could have had a lemon motor for all we know. But to say the motors ( DA-85 in general ) shakes really bad......that's a bad case of stereotyping there. Have the guy re-check his entire install , and if no problem is found , send the motor in for a check up and explain what's going on. You never mentioned if he was using stand off's or not either. I know almost all engine companies mention it's not a good idea for any type of long stand off's.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
joerazlifts
My Feedback: (1)

lets face it you cant go wrong with any of the da motors they spend way more time than any other motor company in development everyone complains about the motors not being out when they say there going to be but in the end you get in my opion the best most reliable gas engine on the planet. I agree with tom in the earlier post about the overheating state only facts not rumors the amount of time da puts into desiging these engines i think they would have caught a overheating problem. I own ever da made and it boils down to balance more than anything the 85 and 100 both have there place if it was me I would put the 100 in the planes mentioned the main difference between the two is one weight and two single versus twin. a twin will always run smoother than a single just a simple fact plus the twin will have way less vibration. bottom line both are great in the right plane cant go wrong with either but if you try to put a 85 in a plane designed for a 100 twin there will be balance issues as stated earlier . as far as overheating me and my friend both have over 500 flights on the 85's with 0 issues mine isnt even bafflled. hope this helped some. ps the 170 should be a monster cant wait
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 AM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

Do you know, or anyone know, the time frame on when the 170 will be coming out? Scott
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
raimondi

My advise is that 35% planes were designed around 100cc's and 33% around 80cc's, you dont want to run the risk of having an underpower airplane, and if you put an 85 cc on a 35% you will run tha risk of having an underpower airplane, or you will have a just enougth power airplane and thats not good, specialy if you like 3D flying. I test flew a QQ Phiton with a DA 100 on canisters on a sea level field here in Venezuela and it had good power but nothing balistic, and the plane weighted between 27 and 28 pounds,so I asume that if you put the 85cc on the same plane it has to have less power than with the 100cc. I have a TOC 33% yak with a ZDZ 80 super that I been flying for over a year now and it is balistic! but it weigths 21.5 pounds, and there is a guy down here that just got the same 33% with a DA 85 on it, both planes have similar power and they both weight the same, andmy ZDZ 80 is balistic up to 25 pounds, over that it might pull out but not with the authority you would want for 3D, and both engines have similar power. There aro other guys down here with QQ'100cc yaks with DA 100 on them, and they have good power but nothing that you could say over powered as to take the 100cc out and puting the 85cc in it and keep having the same power to weight ratio even with the weight saving of the lighter 85cc. My advise is, if you want a 35% plane get a 100cc engine, if you want to try that new DA 85cc get a 33%(80cc) plane, nothing that will go over 24 pounds in weight.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
JEFFRO503

ORIGINAL: raimondi

My advise is that 35% planes were designed around 100cc's and 33% around 80cc's, you dont want to run the risk of having an underpower airplane, and if you put an 85 cc on a 35% you will run tha risk of having an underpower airplane, or you will have a just enougth power airplane and thats not good, specialy if you like 3D flying. I test flew a QQ Phiton with a DA 100 on canisters on a sea level field here in Venezuela and it had good power but nothing balistic, and the plane weighted between 27 and 28 pounds,so I asume that if you put the 85cc on the same plane it has to have less power than with the 100cc. I have a TOC 33% yak with a ZDZ 80 super that I been flying for over a year now and it is balistic! but it weigths 21.5 pounds, and there is a guy down here that just got the same 33% with a DA 85 on it, both planes have similar power and they both weight the same, andmy ZDZ 80 is balistic up to 25 pounds, over that it might pull out but not with the authority you would want for 3D, and both engines have similar power. There aro other guys down here with QQ'100cc yaks with DA 100 on them, and they have good power but nothing that you could say over powered as to take the 100cc out and puting the 85cc in it and keep having the same power to weight ratio even with the weight saving of the lighter 85cc. My advise is, if you want a 35% plane get a 100cc engine, if you want to try that new DA 85cc get a 33%(80cc) plane, nothing that will go over 24 pounds in weight.

This was the point i was trying to make. What people are forgetting here is , that when you slap a DA-85 on the front of an airplane , with one header , and one canister , instead of a DA-100 with 2 headers and two canisters , you are knocking around 2.75lbs off of your build. And using the DA-85 in place of a 3W-106 is saving about 3-1/2lbs!! That's alot of weight.

here is a link of a 35% WH Sukhoi , that is a 102" wing span , and around ( i think Rusty said it was about 26lbs ) This is the first and second flight with a brand new DA-85 that is not broken in. The motor will do nothing but get better until it's fully broken in , but from the video , you wouldn't think he would need any more power. I think with some other 80 class motor's it would still perform ok , but i think the DA-weighs less and puts out a little more juice than any other 80-85cc motor out there. here is the link >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOGsyC3lPuU

RCU won't let me post links to the "other site".....but it's a site that is kind of like , "flying big planes"....know what i mean??

anyways....there are a couple DA-85 threads over there. One has real world comparisons with many different props. They we're able to get more RPM's out of the DA-85 on a tuned pipe than a DA-100 , and it just about rivaled the 3W-106. Now with that being said , can you imagine what it would be like having this on the front of you airplane , and weighing anywhere between 2.75lbs to 3.5lbs less??

i dunno , it's a free world and everyone can buy what they like. Myself , i'm going with the DA-85 in my WH Sukhoi , besides , i'll save anywhere from about $500.00-$650.00 by not using a DA-100 or a 3W-106.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 AM
joerazlifts

Thats great and understood that your cutting weight. But in most 35% planes you are going to have to add alot of weight to get the plane to balance with the 85 so the weight savings will not be that great anyway. Its good to save money aswell but manufactures are building 85cc specific planes so if you are dead set on the 85 why not get the right plane for the motor. its like buying a corvett and putting a six cyclinder motor in it less weight for sure but no were near the power. lets face it the 85 will work in 35% planes we all know this but the power is not no were near as good as the 100 on that same plane I have both motors and I did a comparison test on my 2.6 yak and found that the 85 does allright but I like the power of the 100 way more my point is simply this both are great motors and both have there place. If you want the 85 buy a plane made for it then you will have ballistic power mine is in the aeroworks 260 awesome plane and ballistic power best power to weight of anyplane i own. just my two cents
Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are entitled to put whatever you want in your planes, but most of your reasoning is not correct.

But in most 35% planes you are going to have to add alot of weight to get the plane to balance with the 85 so the weight savings will not be that great anyway.
This is simply either not true or an unknown. You have not tried to balance "most 35% planes" I am sure. I can tell you for certain that all the Wild Hare 35% class planes (Extra, Edge, Sukhoi and Giles) will balance with a DA-85 with no added weight. I would bet that most other designers have set their planes up this way as well.

The lightweight BME engines have been available for years and most planes are set up to accept a lightweight engine as well as a "gravity challenged" twin. Good designers make provision for both types of engines.

Every power comparison I have done comes out so close to even that any difference is meaningless.

Buy a twin if you want, but please don't try to tell the world that a 100cc twin is required in a 35% size plane, it's simply not true.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know if any of you like to build but just think about a 35% Carden Edge 540 or Extra 260 with a DA 85 ready to fly at 19lbs. How much fun would that be...

Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
joerazlifts

Tom you are a verry touchy person arnt you. You have your opinion and I have mine you are not the know all rc guru so iam intitled to mine dont get mad because Iam stating facts about the testing that i have done. A 35% plane performs better on a 100 period that is what they are meant for you dont put a 100 in a 33% plane so why would you put a 85 that is meant for a 33% plane in a 35% plane. your sukoi that they are talking about was out before the da 85 so you cant tell me you designed that plane for the 85 when it wasnt even avaliable yet. and your right I have not tested all the planes on the market but I have tested 10 different 35% planes and all Iam saying is that in my opinon the 100 is a better fit. so take it how you want. everybody I would like to say iam sorry for stating facts mr wildhair took offfence ps i did fly the sukoi on the 85 and the 100 and it is a better flying plane on the 100 but I dont own one nor do i plan on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.