Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

I bought a boat... Need info and critics

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

I bought a boat... Need info and critics

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Mike SVOR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I bought a boat... Need info and critics

ORIGINAL: gofast53

I can speak from experience as I made the mistake of buying one of these some time ago (luckily I got rid of it pretty quickly!). Previous comments stating it can not get on plane are correct, as hull is too heavy, CG is way out and motor is gutless. I tried swapping out motor for a stock zenoah with tuned pipe and changing its CG, but it still struggled to get up on plane and was not very stable at WOT.
Everyone at the pond always commented how ugly it looked especially when running on the water......it looked more like a sick whale!

I'm just quoting this so I can see it later.

a. won't get on plane
b. CG off
c. not stable at WOT
d. ugly

p.s. You also said it came with a tupper wear box for the radio box.

We'll see how correct you are.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
wagonman

Hey hear I am getting into this post then nothing so what ever happend?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to flame on Mike,but he seems determined to follow his own path,So I think I can say along with the others who posted here ....GOOD LUCK Mike..... [)]
Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
jacob711

good luck Mike [)], id like to see one of these break the 30mph mark
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
rclover95

FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR THAT BOAT, GO GET A NEW MV (249.99) AND WITH THE OTHER HALF OF THE MONEY SLAP A .21 IN IT AND YOU GOT A SWEET BOAT AND STILL SPEND LESS.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: wagonman

Hey hear I am getting into this post then nothing so what ever happend?
I went home, drank some Captain Morgan Select, watched TV, fell asleep, woke up, and drove to work.

Roughly, 50,000,000 mili-seconds have passed.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

Not to flame on Mike,but he seems determined to follow his own path,So I think I can say along with the others who posted here ....GOOD LUCK Mike..... [)]

No offence taken. You're stating your opinion on the subject, which I appreciate.
As for following my own path, well, yes. I'm sorta stuck in it at the moment. (not that i want to return the boat)

I have seen a lot of invalid information in this thread so far. That's why I choose not to pay attention to someone writing about how it can't get on plane, has a tupper ware box for the radio box, conks out on turns, gets laughed at by everyone at the lake (my favorite so far. lol), etc.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: rclover95

FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR THAT BOAT, GO GET A NEW MV (249.99) AND WITH THE OTHER HALF OF THE MONEY SLAP A .21 IN IT AND YOU GOT A SWEET BOAT AND STILL SPEND LESS.

If I wanted a .21 nitro, I would have one.

I need a boat that can drive at least 10 miles per fill up.
Plus the fact that I love Castor 927 two stroke oil.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:10 AM
blizard05

I have no input on this boat,all I have to say is Hydros and the ocean are a bad mix. Better off with a Dv
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: blizard05

I have no input on this boat,all I have to say is Hydros and the ocean are a bad mix. Better off with a Dv
Eh, west coast of florida (gulf of mexico) is mostly flat seas. But there are some awesome areas around these islands and through the channels.
I'm definetly gona beat the crap out of it. But I take care of my junk too. It'll be in good hands.

I already have a deep V hull. I'm making molds off of it soon. Then I'm gona take that mold and split it, to make a tunnel cat, then make a mold off of that.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 AM
rclover95

mr. Mike SVOR, you put this post on here to hear what people had to say. so far you havent liked what you have herd and have gotten a little bit of a aditude with everyone. we all try to be friends and help eachother out here at RCU, so lets try to keep it that may bro.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: jacob711

for the carb the one in it is just a single adlustable jet so you'd be looking for something with about a 12mm venturi and 15mm bore preferably a walbro wa-167, you could keep the clutch on there but it does take a little speed away, here is a good site that has some good info http://www.modelpowerboat.com/Hopping-up_a_RC_Engine
Thanks for that link. Lots of good pics.

Question:

The info on port timing doesn't seem correct to me on that site. He is stating port timing with figures in the 160 degree range. That can't be the roof of the port, and the paragraph is about increasing port timing. No roof degree figures are given.

Does anyone have an updated site that gives port timing figures?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

No offence taken. You're stating your opinion on the subject, which I appreciate.
As for following my own path, well, yes. I'm sorta stuck in it at the moment. (not that i want to return the boat)

I have seen a lot of invalid information in this thread so far. That's why I choose not to pay attention to someone writing about how it can't get on plane, has a tupper ware box for the radio box, conks out on turns, gets laughed at by everyone at the lake (my favorite so far. lol), etc.
Right on Mike, I got the horse laff too when i considered getting my shockwave 55ss...but the price was tooo sweeeet to pass up..while there are some haters out there,who have their opinions on price vs durabilty vs reliability,i chose my own path to "make it fly"....while the learning curve I acquired to mod'em has helped me overall in understanding the mechanics and maintenance needed to "keep'em afloat" and make'em fast, I also learned that the experienced opinions (LOL ) do have weight and merit and should not be taken lightly....unless money is no object.....let us know how it goes.... [)]
Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Mike SVOR

thanks bob

Well, I got the boat!
It was very well packaged. A box, within a box, and the boat was wrapped in bubble wrap.
Instructions suck and should be thrown away.
Rudder mount arm needed to be ground down along transom side to reach bolt holes, but the rudder is very nice wedge with water pickup inside. I enlarged the hole already, (more on that in another thread).
Hull is beautiful. Engine cover latch balls needed to be tightened to hold cover better/tighter.
Outdrive is nice. I was able to adjust it's pitch and depth. The highest I could get the outdrive is: the top of the prop shaft is level with the bottom of the back of the boat. It does have a bronze(?) bushing holding the prop shaft.
Octura prop is nice. Prop nut is billet, pointed tip, anodized blue. (nice)
The driveshaft seems too short. I believe it should be 1" longer so it can't pull out of either the engine or prop shaft. (easy fix)
The radio is a total throw away. Servos are junk, reception is about 20 ft with the antena down. My CX2P is awaiting a receiver to go in.
The engine seems like a standard weedeater engine.
The carb spacer/manifold is too long. The bolts that hold the carb on, butt up against the engine cover. This can be solved by cutting down the manifold.
The engine front cover that holds the coil is made of metal, and it's thick. There is also a blast ring installed over the clutch on the front of the engine cover that is made of THICK metal. The blast ring can come completely off and the engine cover can be trimmed down significantly. Much weight can be dropped here.

the exhaust seems ok. Water cooled header, although it's a 90 degree bend.

I hope this is coming across in the right way. I'm happy to have a boat again, and these problems are minor in my view.

Here's the kicker....
The ad said that it had a water pump. There is no water pump on this boat. There is simply a water pickup on the rudder. This boat has a clutch though. So if it stops, it'll over heat.
So I called the place I ordered from and explained that it is false advertising to say water pump on this system.
He said he would have fedex pick up the boat and refund all my money, but I told him I still wanted the boat.
He refunded me 50 bucks so I could buy a water pump.

I told him that in the future, he can only say 'water cooled' at best, if he doesn't want to get sued.

So, anyways.....
I have a nice new boat, that I am going to install a water pump on, and install my radio. Then I'm going to get some base line tests before I do any mods to power or weight.

If you care to read about it in the future, I'll write the thread of my progress.
As some have called it, 'a turd', I believe this boat's name will be the 'China Turd'. I'll title the thread appropriately in the future.

Mike

Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
mopartybob

I'm sure others will be intrested,lets get some photos and vids too...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
venom290

China turd.......[X(]
thats funnny. have fun
venom
Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
stuch

ORIGINAL: Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: gofast53

I can speak from experience as I made the mistake of buying one of these some time ago (luckily I got rid of it pretty quickly!). Previous comments stating it can not get on plane are correct, as hull is too heavy, CG is way out and motor is gutless. I tried swapping out motor for a stock zenoah with tuned pipe and changing its CG, but it still struggled to get up on plane and was not very stable at WOT.
Everyone at the pond always commented how ugly it looked especially when running on the water......it looked more like a sick whale!

I'm just quoting this so I can see it later.

a. won't get on plane
b. CG off
c. not stable at WOT
d. ugly

p.s. You also said it came with a tupper wear box for the radio box.

We'll see how correct you are.
we've been there and done that. the boat is CHINA JUNK. you ask for opinion's and you got them and now you're all ticked off and defending that CHINA JUNK. were only trying to stop you from getting into a boat that will cost you in time and trouble. and might make you quit rc boating all together. buy a wearhouse hobbies SUPER GATOR. and have fun with a bomb proof design and flawless craftmanship....and it will only cost you a few more $$$$....
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
RaceCraftRC

sorry I will add my input, I can get these dirt cheap I have suppliers useing Alibaba they look great really really nice fit and finish IT WILL NOT PLANE NOT EVER!! It rides low really low, and the first hydo I had ever seen with the prop conpletly under water, And there is no chance for it over turning it wont go fast enough to shift it's weight that hard. The one we reviced as an demo did have a water pump seamed ok , the rx box was like tupperware not as nice but seamed to seal up ok. It was very slow. I passed on getting these for at home business because I didn't want the hassel of dealing with upset peoples. Like I said I can get the boats cheap but have to get 10 at a time , But no propblams with parts if you need them. I in all honestey don't think these can ever be made to work well the hull has more than a few crital flaws. sorry hope I didn't further confuse the issua at hand, maybe we just got a crappy demo ( some of them get passed to the next dealer an I could have got an abused one) good luck and the bottem line if you are having fun than that's it. ( o yeah the same manufactor has a rc boat that looks like a box they say will tow a skier cant wait to see vid LOL)
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: stuch
dude you're head is like a rock. we've been there and done that. the boat is CHINA JUNK. you ask for opinion's and you got them and now you're all ticked off and defending that CHINA JUNK. were only trying to stop you from getting into a boat that will cost you in time and trouble. and might make you quit rc boating all together. buy a wearhouse hobbies SUPER GATOR. and have fun with a bomb proof design and flawless craftmanship....and it will only cost you a few more $$$$....
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. I have the boat in my hands and it's made very well (excluding the radio).

Who's getting 'all ticked off'??? You're the one getting all pissy.

I could put this motor on a flat piece of plywood and it would work.
So relax, it's my project, not yours. I asked for experience with THIS boat, not something else.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: AvoidingExpert

sorry I will add my input, I can get these dirt cheap I have suppliers useing Alibaba they look great really really nice fit and finish IT WILL NOT PLANE NOT EVER!! It rides low really low, and the first hydo I had ever seen with the prop conpletly under water, And there is no chance for it over turning it wont go fast enough to shift it's weight that hard. The one we reviced as an demo did have a water pump seamed ok , the rx box was like tupperware not as nice but seamed to seal up ok. It was very slow. I passed on getting these for at home business because I didn't want the hassel of dealing with upset peoples. Like I said I can get the boats cheap but have to get 10 at a time , But no propblams with parts if you need them. I in all honestey don't think these can ever be made to work well the hull has more than a few crital flaws. sorry hope I didn't further confuse the issua at hand, maybe we just got a crappy demo ( some of them get passed to the next dealer an I could have got an abused one) good luck and the bottem line if you are having fun than that's it. ( o yeah the same manufactor has a rc boat that looks like a box they say will tow a skier cant wait to see vid LOL)

Ok, another saying it won't plane out. And this time, we have a "NEVER" in there!!!
So not even with a 4 blade prop and the lowest pitch prop...
It will never get on plane.

I think i'm going tonight to throw it in the water and video tape it.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:47 PM
RaceCraftRC

LOL you have seen its foot print ours was more cat than hydro, sorry i will change the never to mean without changing the driveshaft design and the unbelivable lack of power and the angle of attack of the prop , and the airfiol, aside from that at least what I can remeber everthing else was ok. I belive the first ever break away rudder that I had seen and no turn fin. I think alot of people are fooled by its speed larger model's traveling fast at least two me don't seem as fast as a smaller model moving at the same speed. we took a short vid of or test run some crappy LHS is showing as there own in a Florida Hobby and moped shop, I will try to refind and post here or you tube
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Mike SVOR

Ok, so this one is a figment of my imagination??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GcWnrskGeis
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
rclover95

WOW....... THIS FORUM IS BETTER THEN WATCHING TV
Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Mike SVOR

ORIGINAL: AvoidingExpert

i will change the never to mean without changing the driveshaft design .....
lol, people coming onto this site are going to think you know nothing.

Change the drive shaft design?? roflmao
DUDE, how much simpler does it need to be? It's a weedeater drive cable surrounded by a plastic sheath.
They still use this design in nitro outboards with a 90 degree bend.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 PM
RaceCraftRC

oh yeah did you see it lol it never gets up not even once , talk to Per or Darce there they are just a middle man conp ( its a chinese company said it took 2 months to get the engine working right and it only last for 3 tanks they tossed the boat and do not sell)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.