Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas fuel stopper question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 PM
mesaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas fuel stopper question

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

After watching my fuselage fill up with fuel and just having numerous problems keeping the stoppers secure, Dubro or otherwise, I have eliminated the stoppers from my life. Go Bennett built.
Can you please post a link to Bennett built tanks?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The numerous leak problem sounds a lot more like operator error. Most learn how to use the right products and set them up correctly after only a try or two.

Sorry, but changing from one type of tank to another just isn't going to prevent assembly errors. Learning from others what stoppers work and which don't takes care of the product failures. Securing the fuel lines at all connection points eliminates all the rest. Assembling a gas tank isn't rocket science, but only having to screw down a twist on cap does reduce the process to about the lowest possible level.

Don't get me wrong though because Bennett does make a nice gas tank.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
mesaflyer

Well, I haven't had a fuel leak yet, knock on wood. I just wanted to check out the Bennett tank, but I found a link, so thanks anyway.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:06 AM
wswanepoel

The H9 Black fuel stopper is now lying in the fuel for 24 hours and there is no signs of deterioration. I will leave it for a week and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

The numerous leak problem sounds a lot more like operator error. Most learn how to use the right products and set them up correctly after only a try or two.

Sorry, but changing from one type of tank to another just isn't going to prevent assembly errors. Learning from others what stoppers work and which don't takes care of the product failures. Securing the fuel lines at all connection points eliminates all the rest. Assembling a gas tank isn't rocket science, but only having to screw down a twist on cap does reduce the process to about the lowest possible level.

Don't get me wrong though because Bennett does make a nice gas tank.
Changing to a better design is what I am recommending. The screw on tank cap eliminates the failure completely but the other items and fittings included with the bennett tanks are the best I have seen.
I never had a problem with a stopper in 28 years of building these types of tanks until I went to gas. Gas is very slippery and expands more than glow. The fumes tend to inflate the tank and it is imperative to keep it vented at all times. Something not needed with glow.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The Bennett line of tanks only caters to 16 oz size and up so we little leagues have to make do with making up our own tanks, which all things considered is not that hard to do.

Karol
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Checklst

ORIGINAL: karolh

Having been severly burnt by using a black coloured stopper that was supposed to be gas compatible, I now use Du Bro brown coloured stoppers exclusively which enjoy an excellent reputation for being truly gas compatable.

Karol

Have to agree........ DuBro brown is the only one I now use.............the black stopper for gas(sullivan)has come apart twice in my gas fuel tanks..........at lease my fuel filter protected the carb.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
vertical grimmace

The Bennett line of tanks only caters to 16 oz size and up so we little leagues have to make do with making up our own tanks, which all things considered is not that hard to do.

Karol
I am curious as to how small of a tank you want? I think 16oz. is a reasonable size for a 25cc size gasser. Other than the little 20cc that is as small as it gets.
With that said I just thought I might turn some people on to a fantastic product that may not have been known about.
Another huge benefit of the Bennett tanks is there is absolutely no tubing to bend.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Tired Old Man

My veiled point was that all the manufacturers make good tanks. The quality of the assembly is what separates the leakers from the non leakers. Those that take the time to do it right don't have leaks regardless of the manufacturer selected. It's not very hard to pressure test a tank before using it in the plane. All that's left after the test and installation is to secure the fuel lines at each connection point. You only have to be smarter than the sum of the parts involved.

In summary, leaks are typically a people problem, not a tank problem.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

The Hangar ( Ultra stick lite ) tank has a black fuel stopper. I called there tech line and they said it was ok to use with gasoline. I used it for a few flights and decied to check it to be sure it was ok. It was NOT! I replaced it with a Dubro brown/red Gas stopper.

Also I ran out of yellow tygon fuel line. I used some clear gas line from Ace Hardware, it got brittle and discollored, it said on the roll it was safe for gasoline. NOT!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

Well, I haven't had a fuel leak yet, knock on wood. I just wanted to check out the Bennett tank, but I found a link, so thanks anyway.

Could you please share the link. i am having trouble finding them.

Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Karol
I am curious as to how small of a tank you want? I think 16oz. is a reasonable size for a 25cc size gasser. Other than the little 20cc that is as small as it gets.
With that said I just thought I might turn some people on to a fantastic product that may not have been known about.
Another huge benefit of the Bennett tanks is there is absolutely no tubing to bend.
Don't get me wrong, the Bennett's tank is a very nice unit for anyone whose bill it fits, but my G20 uses a 8 oz. tank which gives approx. 20 mins of flight time with a fair amount in reserve while my G23 uses a 12 oz. tank with a similar run time and reserve .

Karol

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM
k8bvj

Very strange how you guy's have problems with black gas stoppers for your fuel tank. I been flying gas motors for years and used sullivan and Dubro gas stoppers and never had any problems. They have black stoppers for glow fuel also but the ones for gas are called Nitrile black stoppers for gas. Also, always use brass tubing in stead of aluminum tubing with gas so you can solder those fuel barbs on the end to prevent slippage.

Jack K8BVJ AMA 18384
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am begining too think....maybe the crappy fuel we are now buy at terrific prices may have a lot do do with the breakdown or swelling. I got a feeling the quality is just not there in all the fuel in various parts of the good old USA[>:] Capt,n
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

My veiled point was that all the manufacturers make good tanks. The quality of the assembly is what separates the leakers from the non leakers. Those that take the time to do it right don't have leaks regardless of the manufacturer selected. It's not very hard to pressure test a tank before using it in the plane. All that's left after the test and installation is to secure the fuel lines at each connection point. You only have to be smarter than the sum of the parts involved.

In summary, leaks are typically a people problem, not a tank problem.
Whole lot of operator error with the Sullivan's I guess!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Tired Old Man

The black "gas" Sullivan stopper was pure crap. That was proven in modeling circles and other more exotic stuff. After publication of the information a couple of years ago most people switched over to the brown Dubro stoppers or at least tested the stoppers they intended to use.

Many, many (if not the balance) other leak issues are caused by the user failing to secure fuel lines or properly "torquing" the stopper screw to expand the stopper. Those that failed to leak test their tanks prior to installing it in a fuselage were just plain careless. Those that failed to heed numerous warnings from many sources about securing their fuel lines, and using something other than tie wire to do so, were just as careless. Their are too many ways to secure a fuel line that are 100% effective. Sometimes you have to be willing to do more than brain dead plug and play if you want to achieve success.

Then you have the group that manage to cut the fuel lines during the process of installing them over brass or aluminum tubes. You know, the people that fold the line over in the attept to achieve more force when sliding the tube over the sharp edge of the metal tube. People don't like to use a piece of 400g paper to round the edge of the metal tubing or to wet the inside of the fuel line and the outside of the metal tube to reduce installation friction. Much too much effort for that kind of stuff. Now add the group that use wires tightly twisted around the fuel line to secure it, never thinking that a thin wire can cut the tygon or other tubing, creating another user induced leak.

In over 35 years of modeling I've never had a tank leak from the tank body unless the tank had been involved in a previous crash that either punctured the tank or split the seam. Defective stoppers were another issue (limited to gasoline tanks) but that was resolved a couple years ago. It's nobody's fault if newbies fail to research readily available information pertaining to the use of correct materials and the methods recognized to effectively use various products.

You can blame a manufacturer or two for making substandard stoppers but to my knowledge no manufacturer has made a bad tank. Not in any notable quantities anyway. I'm not the least bit apologetic when I say there's still no manufacturer's cure for customer stupidity or laziness.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
vertical grimmace

Carburetors work on the engine in your car as well, but fuel injection is superior. I will continue to use the improved design of the Bennett tanks. To each their own!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
k8bvj

• NEW Universal Fuel Stopper: Compatible with gasoline, glow fuel, diesel or any mix of smoke oil. Made out of synthetic rubber (Fluoroelastomer) that provides extraordinary levels of resistance to chemicals, aggressive fuels, oil and heat. Color: Black. No. S449

AVAILABLE NOW!!!

Just got this info from Sullivan web site.......synthetic rubber (Fluoroelastomer) is fool proof guy's. Sullivan has been around a long time and they have it what it takes.

Jack K8BVJ
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 PM
karolh

That's real good news, now just give one a try and tell us about it. Would be nice to have an alternative that really works.

Karol
Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Tired Old Man

Viton is about the only "universal" compound I can think of and even it has limitations. There's only one or two places that make viton tank stoppers that I'm aware of and at least one does not sell to the hobby market. Sullivan is the company that marketed a gas compatible tank stopper that was not gas compatible so do your research in that area with diligence and attention to detail. The brown Dubro stopper is a sure thing. If using anything else, test it first.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the PSP tank cap(http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/FuelTanks.htm) does a much better job than the stock plastic one, in compressing the stopper to provide a good and long lasting seal.

I have been using some of the black stoppers coming with SD-models ARFs. No problem so far.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: Blade-breaker

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

Could you please share the link. i am having trouble finding them.

Thanks!!
Blade-breaker,
This is what I found. http://bennettbuilt.com/index.html
Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
This is the tank I think they are referring to
http://bennettbuilt.com/page5.htm
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Guys, I bought two Dubro gas stoppers last week, part number 400 and in the original untampered packages, and the stoppers are black. This prompted me to look for threads like this one, but I didn't find this particular issue raised.

Did Dubro, at one time, use black stoppers for gas?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-14-2009, 07:31 PM
karolh

Not that I can recall, but maybe you need to hear from someone in gas much longer than I.

Karol
Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

The packages that contained the black stoppers are definitely older. I just opened another one with a brown stopper, and the packaging was newer, with different graphics.

I sent Dubro an e-mail, but I'm not taking chances.

Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.