Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor 160?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor 120-160?

Levett,
You read my mind....
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Great Planes!!!!! I love it. I cant wait until there is room in my hanger as this may very well be my next purchase.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 PM
TruBlu02

Very cool! I just looked at the GP website and it is a beautiful plane. I love my .46 size Reactor. Best flying plane I have ever owned. There are some issues I hope they fixed though, mainly the landing gear and the covering issues. I looked at the manual and the gear are still swept back but at least they are striaght this time. I have no idea what the big deal is about sweeping the gear back. Either way this will be a big beautiful plane and I am happy to see GP coninuing to add to the Reacto Line.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
contempo
My Feedback: (20)

50cc Reactor Biplane please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:32 PM
sevans16

Oops, sory I could not delete my accidental post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Incredible wing area! 1556 squares! WOW!!
If it comes in at 17 lbs, WL is 25, okay but not great,
if it comes in at 16 lbs, WL = 23 much better, which is about where my GP Ultimate Bipe is with a DA-50 on it.
If you do the Wing Volume Loading (WVL) thing it is in 7 range fir both, which is really good.
So which engine? If you go 50cc do you end up at 17 lbs?
If you go with a MOKI 2.10 maybe you come in at 16 lbs. Not familiar with MOKI's, would a MOKI 2.1 be able to hover a 16 lber?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Hibrass

Oooohhhhh... Reactor Bipe at this size would rock, Hard...!

I would be first inline cash in hand...! :-)
Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I bet that its not too far behind in development, especially considering that the Hyde Bipe isn,t availabble anymore.
2 x 78-82" wings one on top of the other would be simply awesome.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Oh Baby!!! I've got my eye on this plane. The Performance series from Great Planes are very nice airplanes. This looks like a leader in the 50cc class to me. And it's not overpriced! I'm gonna get one of these babies. I love the wing loading, the DA50 engine, the weight (16lbs) and the fact that I think it would fly a bit like my favorite airplane of all time, the UCD. Who knows...maybe it'll KE better and be the perfect plane. I can't weight to see one of these. The website says late September and I believe Tower Hobbies is the most accurate with their predictions. It'll probably be available then. I'm ordering mine now so I'm at the top of the list. This should be a winner.
Thanks
Barry
Old 08-31-2008, 10:23 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Oh Baby!!! I've got my eye on this plane. The Performance series from Great Planes are very nice airplanes. This looks like a leader in the 50cc class to me. And it's not overpriced! I'm gonna get one of these babies. I love the wing loading, the DA50 engine, the weight (16lbs) and the fact that I think it would fly a bit like my favorite airplane of all time, the UCD. Who knows...maybe it'll KE better and be the perfect plane. I can't weight to see one of these. The website says late September and I believe Tower Hobbies is the most accurate with their predictions. It'll probably be available then. I'm ordering mine now so I'm at the top of the list. This should be a winner.
Thanks
Barry

The add actually states that it is a 1.60 glow and 43cc gas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24411.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1023498  
Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Barry Cazier

In the manual it states that it is designed around the DA50 and that is the expected engine of use. It comes with a DA50 pattern for drilling of the firewall. It even gives the weight with a DA50 of 16lbs.
No question this plane is a full sized 50cc plane. It has more wing area than any plane I've seen in this class.
Looking good to me.
Thanks
Barry
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Barry Cazier

Here's a link to the Great Planes website showing the installation of the DA50 on the Reactor. A lot more info on Tower Hobbies website including the manual.
Thanks
Barry
http://www.greatplanes.com/performan.../gpma1420.html
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
malcolmm

Despite the tail being glued in, which makes it tough for me to fit in my apartment, I'm still interested in this plane.

I did notice that it is called a "sport aerobat", it doesn't say anything about 3D. If it flies like a large version of the .46 size, Iknow it will be a very capable 3D monster. Hopefully they didn't tone it down in any way to make it more of a fun fly aircraft.

Since I would be building this for electric, I checked out the recommended setup. The Great Planes motor that is recommended doesn't appear to be available yet. The recommended ESC is very pricey, around $450. Hopefully there is something suitable that is less expensive than this.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
chuck l

ORIGINAL: malcolmm

Despite the tail being glued in, which makes it tough for me to fit in my apartment, I'm still interested in this plane.

I did notice that it is called a "sport aerobat", it doesn't say anything about 3D. If it flies like a large version of the .46 size, Iknow it will be a very capable 3D monster. Hopefully they didn't tone it down in any way to make it more of a fun fly aircraft.

Since I would be building this for electric, I checked out the recommended setup. The Great Planes motor that is recommended doesn't appear to be available yet. The recommended ESC is very pricey, around $450. Hopefully there is something suitable that is less expensive than this.
This is from GP's website that Barry gave the link to:

"The Reactor has excelled under glow and electric power, as a mono-plane and a biplane. Now it really hits the “big time†expanding to IMAA-legal dimensions with performance that’s better than ever. At low speeds, the giant-scale Reactor flies solid and true. But for an all-out 3D machine, install a 50 cc gasoline engine and increase the throws!"
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Barry Cazier

Well...I just ordered one of these from Tower Hobbies. They show a delivery of late September. I guess I'll be the ginny pig on this dude. I'm gonna put a DA50R that I have on it and I'm gonna use those new HiTec servos the HS7955TG on everything but the throttle. There are some good prices on these servos right now. ($95/each) With the discounts Tower offers me I got it for $399 with $9.99 shipping. Man that's a nice price! I hope the plane is as nice. I expect it to be loads of fun to fly. We'll see.
Thanks
Barry
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
choopi

Wow,

It's looking like my winter project, I sold my Yak 54 and looking for something new, this could be it!

Eric
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
go vertical

It has me hooked I have a brison 52 that needs a home
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
kochj

It should fly just like the .46 reactor ....Looks about the same....
I am not a fan of the looks or the "FUN FLY" type shape of the wings..... They work well, I just don't look at this plane and say
"I got to have it" like a Yak or Extra ect.... The price is quite fair though.....

If you are worried about the size of the plane..... Just install some Robart hinge pockets on the rudder, or the flat pianno wire types.......
That way you could take the rudder off anyway....

Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
chuck l

I had an exchange with George at Hobbico, wanting to know how the plane flew because I'm looking for another plane for a DL50. As a result of his reply, I'm going to wait for the Reactor. With his permission, I'm publishing his response. Get your credit cards out!

"Hello Chuck,

Well....I would decribe the feel of the big Reactor as being just plain easy to fly.
It tracks very true for precise flying (even withthe monster size surfaces!)...it lands like a kite (very U-Can-Do like)...for me it is the easist airplane to fly in high alpha and post stall maneuvers. Hover easy...tumbles, and twists up very aggressive when its demanded.
This is not my project....but I have had a chance to fly the early hevier prototypes...and even over a pound heavier than what will be on the market...the airplane was very true and lots of fun for my style.
I am an old school precision aerobatic guy...and getting some 3D skills under my belt has been tough sometimes (except for foamies thank god!).
I thought this airplane just made me better at trying new stuff.

I hope this helps you some. Theres nothing written here that I wouldn't say in a thread...feel free to mention this exchange if you feel like it.
I have my Reactor Bipe in the my car...so I am going to try and get a battery in over my lunch break!
Have a good weekend.

Cheers,
George Rodriguez
Hobbico Product Development
Product Manager- Great Planes/Electrifly"
Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
kochj

Sounds like he liked the plane..... But that review is subjective, not objective......

It is like describing a fine wine as "GOOD"......
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Bdegan

Why did Great Planes go with 2 aileron servos per wing ?? Most planes in this class use only 1.
It would help to save weight as well, the 2 extra servos, possibly a couple of match boxes or a power expander.

Beyond that, this planes looks really really good.

Oh yeah, removable stabs would be a nice treat as well. But Great Planes doesn't do it for any of their planes in the performance series.
A lot of people, myself included have stayed away from them for that reason. We don't all have vans, and it won't fit in my car.

But since I am 5 minutes from our flying field. I may need to rig a way to hold my hatch open to accomodate this plane.
HaHa my car is small enough that if I leave the nose of the plane sticking out the back. Put a pusher prop on a DL-50....It would probably push my car to the field.
It would cut down on break in time at the field
Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM
malcolmm

I didn't notice the two aileron servos per wing - that's a really bad design decision in my opinion.

I've never built a plane with two aileron servos per wing - do you have to have one of those matchbox things (or equivalent) to match the servos up? If so, I doubt I will buy this plane, that's needlessly complicated and expensive.

Too bad, I just flew my Reactor bipe this weekend and really love it. I decided to seriously consider an electric version of the big Reactor, but now I'm not so sure.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
JYM

ORIGINAL: Bdegan

Why did Great Planes go with 2 aileron servos per wing ??

Maybe they do not want to read some guys whining on forums telling the plane can not resist a full throttle snap ?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Barry Cazier

It doesn't really take any special equipment to install two servos per wing. It can be programed with your radio or you can use "Y" harness and plug into one channel of the radio. Really not that hard to do. And...with this big of a wing (keep in mind, nobody has this much wing area in the 50 cc class) it probably needs the extra servo per wing.
Again, you don't need matchboxes or ANY special equipment to run a (4) servo wing set up. The manual states you can use 100oz-in metal gear servos as a minimum if you desire. Me? I'm use two 333oz servos in each wing. Should be overkill but I'll bet I love the response of this baby.
The manual states the weight will be 16lbs 0ozs with all the servos and the DA50. That is a very low weight and wing loading. About the only plane I've seen that is under that is the Extra and Edge from AirWild. Nobody else is under 16.5lbs. This should be a great flying plane.
Thanks
BArry
Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Bdegan

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

It doesn't really take any special equipment to install two servos per wing. It can be programed with your radio or you can use "Y" harness and plug into one channel of the radio. Really not that hard to do. And...with this big of a wing (keep in mind, nobody has this much wing area in the 50 cc class) it probably needs the extra servo per wing.
Again, you don't need matchboxes or ANY special equipment to run a (4) servo wing set up. Thanks
BArry
I would have to go the Y harness route since I only have the DX-7.
But what if the 2 servos are not perfectly matched ? I was planning to use 5645's.
I was told that even 2 of the same servo are not always exactly the same. Deadband or speed may not be exactly the same. Would that not cause the 2 servos to fight each other?
Or am I just worrying too much about it ??
I suppose I could invest in the Hitec servo prgrammer. It would always be helpful in the future as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.