Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My Korean War "home" rolls again,

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My Korean War "home" rolls again,

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Korean War "home" rolls again,

oops, some how got a double.[:@]. if you do a super Pershing, you just HAVE to install the T-80E1 track.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38535.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1033530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19462.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1033531  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
killick64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I KNEW there was a reason the Navy issued us that "Anti-Flash Gear". Thanks for the explanation re the operation of the Bore Evacuator. (I was going to call it a "muffler" for want of a better term, but I thought that sounded a bit stupid.)

Now another silly Question....what are those two long round things mounted up top, well back of the gun tube and mantlet? I could guess, but I'd probably be wrong. (Sorry to be so ignorant did I mention I was NAVY? )

Hey, thanks Panther F I had a Bookmark for that, but lost it during a "cleanup"....

Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Panther F

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Which picture?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:23 PM
killick64

This one....

Name:	Bz77697.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1033575  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
blitzkrieg65

Bills Super P

The two tubes are for support for the barrel!

The Blitz

Name:	Pn35744.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1033582  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Panther F

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Those are called equilibrator springs that help the main gun resist opposing recoil.

http://www.military-info.com/Aphoto/...list/A108h.htm
Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
pattoncommander

Those are the original equiliberator springs to compensate for the weight of the double length 90mm gun. The two Super Pershings in Germany had this configuration. Later models under developement after the war had an improved system built into the turret....BUT...really, having worked in this turret for some time, I can't immagine where the hell they put the stuff.[X(][:-] The Pershing/Patton turret was pretty roomy compared with many other tanks, but that 90mm breech and dual cylinder recoil system took a lot of room, then add 70 rounds of 90mm with 10 in the ready racks, not much room left. [&:]
Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Bill,

Congrats on your latest build! I have to ask, where did the name Charlotte come from?

Chuck
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
pattoncommander

Panther, The equiliberator springs had nothing to do with recoil. They were only to stabilize the long heavy gun tube and the counterweight at the rear of the turret was for balance while traversing on eneven terrain. Same on the M-26A1 and 46, the swap to single baffle muzzle brake and bore evacuator required a stronger equiliberator on the inside to compensate for the weight change but nothing to effect recoil other than 2 baffles instead of 4.

Chuck, The Name charlott was our driver's wife's name.....He was the longest serving on that tank. I was gunner at the time and the TC OK'd it. I moved up to TC and we just left it that way.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
heavyaslead

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello Bill

Nice M46, quite uniqe build. Where did you get the small sprocket side idler/tensioner? Did this come with the Labow conversion kit?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
pattoncommander

Hi Eric, thanks, the entire kit included the comp idler, and it took some work to get it mounted..then had to add 4 extra blocks per side.

Just put a backyard run on U-tube. M-46 in korea.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
blitzkrieg65

I found it here it is,,,,,M-46 Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzvmEK0fwA

Bill what happened to your pictures that column shot of the tanks was the meanest I have ever seen the US tanks in formation! Please send me those in an e-mail!

The Blitz
Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My Korean War

cool vid blitz. It sounds like a radial engine from a plane. Is that correct PC, and why did they mount the M2 50 cal on the back of the turret roof. The M46 has it in a location the the TC could actually use it for something.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 AM
pattoncommander

Panther G; . Don't know if I answered your questions... looking back over a couple older posts, I note you asked a couple questions about the M-46. the TC's Cal 50 was moved to a mount on the new armored cover over the gunners primary gunsight. Original position to the rear was to allow infantry to operate the gun and let the TC do his tank work. This proved ineffective and did not allow the TC to engage more distant targets without exposing himself and crew due to the open hatch. The sound on my M-46 El-Mod is still the older sound...have not been able to get a recording of an M-46-47 or 48 (all the same engine) to put into the El-mod. Phil now has my M-46 renovated and replaced a couple defective El-mod modules, so should be running pretty nice. My video was hindered by a defective module and low battery, so moved a bit slow.
Bill
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Panther G

Hey PC why don't you try some black satin cloth. It is very plyable and with a light dusting of a flat paint it will stiffen up just enough and not get too ridged. Just a thought.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Panther G

PC its still an most awesome tank model you have done. I'm always impressed.with the M26/M46 stuff you and Phill do. I wantto try the El-mod package in my HE LEO that I upgraded but man the cost is still just a littleout of my reach for these high end electronic packages. Some day soon maybe. I think one of Phills M26's can do some shallow fording also. Very cool. Nice work guys. The M26 has long been a favorite of mine and it's good to see the work you guys do.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

At long last, my Korean Home is again rolling and ready to engage T-34s, albeit in 1;16 scale. After about 3 months of work, it is now rolling. I received one of only two extsing M-46 conversion kits from Joel Labow and started immediately to disect a new HL Pershing and rebuld. Joel designed the kits for Tamiya, so I had a some custom alterations to do so that the back deck grills and the compensating idler and arms all sat right. When I got it about 90% built, I sent it to Phil (Blitz) who made the final fitting of gearbox and relocated sprockets, then he and Merle set it up with total El Mod, recoiling 90mm, a neat LED bow gun and IR system. I have it back now and am just getting the finishing touches on ''accurizing'' it. The M-46 is an exact copy of my best M-46 in Korea to include the correct USA numbers and all unit markings. Personal gear stowage also absolutely correct the way we had it. Decals were made for me by Georg Eyermann and are as usual, very well made and easy to work with. I am going to try and get my son over this weekend and help me get a video of it finishing off a NKA T-34/85 to post on U-tube.

Here are some rebuild pics and will place completed pics in the next post/..

Do you know if any other m-46 mods are available or how to get a hold of Joel Labow? This is a possible adversary for the T-55 maybe in Israeli colors