Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

7015/3 prop on Blackjack 55?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

7015/3 prop on Blackjack 55?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
kwiktsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 7015/3 prop on Blackjack 55?

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

Don't worry about that friction if you're using the synthetice grease, I have a shaft that has been using almost 2 years in my boat and it still looks like new.
Thanks Eric. I am using the red synthetic grease- forget the name of it, it is an automotive waterproof u-joint/wheel bearing grease (I am a car nut, so I have plenty here lol). The friction is way more than I would like but I am also used to smaller electric boats and this much would stop them dead lol. I did notice that even as tight as it is, the clutch will spin through it at idle anyway, so I guess it is OK. I don't want to go much higher though if I don't have to since even at 5/16", it is pulling up on the stuffing box.

I am tempted to just do a mod motor and let it power through, but this hull sucks for high speed stuff and isn't worth it and I don't want to build ANOTHER boat right now lol- I have plenty, so I am torn. Like I said, I didn't want this to snowball into a project either- the boat just isn't worth the time or money. I'll get it situated one way or another. Thanks again for all your help!
Joe
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
rcboateric
Banned

No problem Joe, I know your 55" cat is running for fun, it's a kind of a wave jumper, if you're looking for the speed, a rigger or a small size cat is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM
kwiktsi

I am actually looking at that Chinese 42" mono with a Zen for going faster- don't know if you've seen them or not. The hulls are decent for the price and it is a real Zen, so the potential is there.

At least you understand the purpose of this boat. It really isn't worth putting much time or money into! If I wanted faster, I would have bought a more serious boat. Lol- "wave jumping" doesn't even begin to describe it! You gotta see some of the waters I've run this thing in!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Lunatik Engineering

I put a Voodoo 7016-3 on mine and with a slight chop the boat hauls a**!!
On flat water the stock motor wont pull it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 AM
rcboateric
Banned

I guess that you are talking about this 41" mono, 90km/h, that is pretty fast for a mono hull that is powered by a stock 260.

http://cgi.ebay.com/41-deep-vee-with...742.m153.l1262
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
kwiktsi

That's the one. I don't know how accurate the speed claim is, but the boat is pretty nice for the price. I bought one of his 32" electrics and the quality is very nice for the price. Not quite on par with some of the higher quality stuff but just as functional for a hell of a lot less.

I figure a 41" mono with a Zen 260 would have to move out decently though, then I can mod it from there .
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: Lunatik Engineering

I put a Voodoo 7016-3 on mine and with a slight chop the boat hauls a**!!
On flat water the stock motor wont pull it.
Where do you have your strut set to? I had to open up the slot on mine to raise it much higher to get it to start to pull this prop. It still isn't pulling the RPM's I'd like though.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
illiniboater
My Feedback: (1)

Would the fact that Lunatik is running a different pipe other than stock make the boat to pull that prop? It's a question I've been wondering since I just ordered a couple new props to play with, and have been thinking of replacing the stock pipe. I almost ordered the 7015/3 before I read this post. Will wait and see what you come up with before I pull the trigger on that one.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
kwiktsi

It may. Chris (dasboata) is convinced there is something wrong with my boat if it can't pull that prop, but I'm not the only one who couldn't get it to pull a prop this size. I'm stumped. I just ordered a back cut X472 from him to try, so I'll compare the two and see what happens. I know I have my strut as high as physically possible without removing the stuffing box and moving it up some, so I can't see there being much tweaking left to get it to work. I have tried going as long as I can with the pipe before the o-ring pops out raising/lowering the strut, angling the strut up and down, richening it, leaning it, etc. and it just won't pull the R's with this prop.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
illiniboater

Not sure what setup your running, but could you gain enough RPM to spin that prop by running without a clutch? I'm pretty new and still trying to learn the setup and use of diffrent props myself so I won't be much help. Just throwing out ideas!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 PM
kwiktsi

I am actually discussing that with someone else as we speak. I don't 100% know the answer yet, but I don't want to give up my clutch just to do so either. Not for the use this boat sees .
Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
illiniboater

I ordered a 275 and x572 which I'm hoping to be here before the weekend. After reading countless times that the bj55 hull has it's limits and the fact that the only mod I plan on doing is a pipe, I couldn't really justify the money on either a voodoo or dasboata prop. Didn't feel I would get my money's worth out of those props with this boat. If you prove me wrong, then I'll spend the money on a better prop.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 PM
illiniboater

I have the clutchless adapter on order as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any tach device to compare with or without. I was wanting to keep the clutch as well but figured for the price of the adapter I'll give it a try.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: illiniboater

I have the clutchless adapter on order as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any tach device to compare with or without. I was wanting to keep the clutch as well but figured for the price of the adapter I'll give it a try.
Here are two vids from a member(brodjack), the first vid ran with a clutch and the second vid ran without a clutch.

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nt=Movie_2.flv

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...ent=2ndrun.flv
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 PM
illiniboater

My clutchless adapter will be here before i pick up a gps on ebay. I'm not patient enough to wait for the gps arrives before i take out the clutch or start playing with the diffrent pipes.

Not to change the subject but I have not changed the pipe length yet. Is there a noticable differance by adjusting it?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
rcboateric
Banned

the best length is 11-1/2" to 12", measure it from the center of the flange straight back to the center of the band, if the pipe is too short, the engine would lose some torque, if the pipe is too long, the engine'd lose some RPM. Running with or without a clutch, the speed difference would be at least 10%.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: illiniboater

My clutchless adapter will be here before i pick up a gps on ebay. I'm not patient enough to wait for the gps arrives before i take out the clutch or start playing with the diffrent pipes.

Not to change the subject but I have not changed the pipe length yet. Is there a noticable differance by adjusting it?

Yes is the simple answer - the difference is huge. The pipe (I'm assuming you are talking about a tuned pipe here) needs to be tuned to the engine to produce maximum power at the revs that you want to operate at.

It is a compromise though to get the best performance, as Eric touched on, typically, too short will make for power high up the rev range, but will loose low end power, which you will notice through turns as the engine revs drop with the increased loading on the motor, too long and the pipe won't be tuned corrrectly for max power and RPM where you want it down the straight bits.

So you adjust it to make the best compromise you can really.

Then of course, if you change a prop., the engine revs change and you then have to go through it all again to get the best length. It is all fun though!!

Back to the subjcet at hand though, I run one of these props but on a mono hull, it is good because it does not produce much lift and as result it runs really stable, but, you do need to have it high. Mine is around 12mm up the transom.

I am not convinced a clutch will alter your revs at all, unless it is slipping in which case it will alter the revs the prop soins at. It might reduce the engines pick up speed as the engine has to also spin up the additional inertia of the clutch parts as well as everything else.

Glenn

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
brodjack

Sorry Glenn,the clutch removal made a large impact on jacks boat,it seemed to run stronger with better revs,it felt more positive in bite too.Definately a worthy increase for him.

Brod..
Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 AM
illiniboater

I'm going to adjust my pipe length this weekend and hopefully the props and adapter show up today or tomorrow so I can try them out as well. Should be a fun weekend!!!

I have a feeling I am going to see a noticable change without the clutch. I still have the stock pro boat clutch in mine and I have a feeling it is slippping on me.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: glennb2006
Yes is the simple answer - the difference is huge. The pipe (I'm assuming you are talking about a tuned pipe here) needs to be tuned to the engine to produce maximum power at the revs that you want to operate at.

It is a compromise though to get the best performance, as Eric touched on, typically, too short will make for power high up the rev range, but will loose low end power, which you will notice through turns as the engine revs drop with the increased loading on the motor, too long and the pipe won't be tuned corrrectly for max power and RPM where you want it down the straight bits.

Then of course, if you change a prop., the engine revs change and you then have to go through it all again to get the best length. It is all fun though!!

Back to the subjcet at hand though, I run one of these props but on a mono hull, it is good because it does not produce much lift and as result it runs really stable, but, you do need to have it high. Mine is around 12mm up the transom.

I am not convinced a clutch will alter your revs at all, unless it is slipping in which case it will alter the revs the prop soins at. It might reduce the engines pick up speed as the engine has to also spin up the additional inertia of the clutch parts as well as everything else.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I have the prop up about 8mm now and it is cavitating on the launch. I can go higher, but don't want to lose bite on the bottom end. Also, to go higher will require me to remove my stuffing tube and raise it's exit point from the hull- really not worth the hassle just to make it a little faster! Where the prop is right now, the top blade will be about 1.5mm out of the water when sitting flat in smooth water. Don't know how much higher is acceptable before I start loosing bite and speed. Chris is sending me a back cut X472 for it, so I'll give that a shot. I ended up buying it outright though, no return, so that I have both to play with when I have time.
Joe
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: brodjack

Sorry Glenn,the clutch removal made a large impact on jacks boat,it seemed to run stronger with better revs,it felt more positive in bite too.Definately a worthy increase for him.

Brod..

No need to be sorry Brod. It's a discussion forum and this is discussion, I just can not understand how a clutch can slow a boat. Obviously there is weight there, as well as inertia, but once spinning at full revs, the inertia should not affect anything.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I missing something here?

Glenn
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I have the prop up about 8mm now and it is cavitating on the launch. I can go higher, but don't want to lose bite on the bottom end. Also, to go higher will require me to remove my stuffing tube and raise it's exit point from the hull- really not worth the hassle just to make it a little faster! Where the prop is right now, the top blade will be about 1.5mm out of the water when sitting flat in smooth water. Don't know how much higher is acceptable before I start loosing bite and speed. Chris is sending me a back cut X472 for it, so I'll give that a shot. I ended up buying it outright though, no return, so that I have both to play with when I have time.
Joe

Chances are it can go a lot higher, depending on how you are launching, and I suspect I know with you running a clutch, you will find most props are going to cavitate until the boat starts to move.

I throw mine in to get them going.

Glenn
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
DaveMarles

Glenn, It's a fact that many or maybe all clutches will cause a power loss because the clutch systems are somewhat agricultural in their design. Misalignments such as between the crankshaft and clutch shaft and between the clutch drum and the pivot points or centres of the clutch shoes will all be a problem.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: kwiktsi
Where the prop is right now, the top blade will be about 1.5mm out of the water when sitting flat in smooth water.
Joe
Stop to raise it to test your 7015 prop Joe, your cat does not like that prop and that was over strut height, a prop doesn't need to raise that height as you mentioned that out of the water, I have a 6" pitch rigger prop(yours is 4.1" pitch) that sets to the best strut height and it was still below the water about 1".
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

another cheap little upgrade you can do is remove the head gasket to lower the squish and add a little compression. i put one of carlos's .002" soft copper gaskets in. i know some people that take it out and just use ultra copper rtv to seal it. i use the soft copper because i don't have a torque wrench and am afraid it will leak. i'm not sure what kind of gain it gives because i changed it before i had my gps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.