Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Dodgey99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eolo R22 and Piccolo Pro

Hehe! You'll love the Pro. It is amazing. I AM running brushless and separates, but I imagine it's pretty hot in standard from. Such a difference from the Hummingbird :-)

It'll take you a couple of batteries to get to grips with it. I have exponential set at 50% on the cyclic controls to "calm it down" a bit :-)

p.s. can't be sure, but if you are planning to use the 7 cell Hummingbird batteries on the Pro i don't think they will have the power you need. You need 8 cellsh, or 3S lipos, definatley for brushless.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Bacon2002

Hi,

I've got the Li Po 11.1v s3 already. Its just to lively for the HB so I haven't been able to use it so far.

I also got that Triton charger it seem really good. I got the thermal probe as well.

I'll be using the brushless from the HB and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

David
Old 06-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Dodgey99

David, the 3s Lipo will amaze you. I've flown my pro about 6 or 7 times today and still no sign of battery fade!!

The Triton is indeed awesome. Let me know if you need any help with it, I've pretty much got it nailed now.

Roger
Old 06-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Bacon2002

Roger,

Yes I am a little confused with this charging stuff.

I have a battery pack in my transmitter and I want to discharge and recharge them how do I work it out? ie I have Nicad pack containing 8 x 1.2v batteries in it. The pack says 9.6v (I can understand that 8 x 1.2 = 9.6) it also says 700mah does that mean each battery is 700mah?

Also does that mean I should charge it at 700mah (is this 1C?).

Can I also charge it at 2C = 1400mah?

If I get 4 AA (Nihm) batteries each with 1.2 volts and 1200mah rating and but them in battery holder (ie in series) can I then charge them together at 4.8 volts and 1.2amps (1C) or 2.4amps (2C)?

Or have completely confused myself?

Finally, discharging (normally something I would see a doctor about after a drunken holiday in Ibiza) how do I know at what voltage and current to do this?

I haven't explained this well but thats probably why I'm confused so any help would be great.

Cheers,

David
Old 06-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Dodgey99

OK, here we go - answers inserted....

Originally posted by Bacon2002
Roger,

Yes I am a little confused with this charging stuff.

I have a battery pack in my transmitter and I want to discharge and recharge them how do I work it out? ie I have Nicad pack containing 8 x 1.2v batteries in it. The pack says 9.6v (I can understand that 8 x 1.2 = 9.6) it also says 700mah does that mean each battery is 700mah?

Yes each battery is 700Mah, but the whole pack is 700Mah too because the batteries are joined in "series" so the Mah rating does not go up as you add cells, but the voltage does.

Also does that mean I should charge it at 700mah (is this 1C?).

Yes and no. 700Mah charge is indeed 1C, the pack should be happy with this. If it gets uncomfortably warm towards the end of the charge then do less next time. 700Mah should take a bout 45 mins.

If you want to treat your pack to a service, charge it at 100Mah ish. It'ss get a nice slow charge then.

I charge the same pack at 700Mah. No issues.

Can I also charge it at 2C = 1400mah?

I wouldn't with a small cell pack like this.

If I get 4 AA (Nihm) batteries each with 1.2 volts and 1200mah rating and but them in battery holder (ie in series) can I then charge them together at 4.8 volts and 1.2amps (1C) or 2.4amps (2C)?

You got it! Though charging at 2C might not be a good idea. AA and particularly AAA batts do not handle fast charging as well as larger ones (Sub-C). They can't dissipate the heat so well. Start at 1C and go from there. To be honest the 1C charge should be fast enough (less than one hour!)

Or have completely confused myself?

Finally, discharging (normally something I would see a doctor about after a drunken holiday in Ibiza) how do I know at what voltage and current to do this?

hehe! . The recommended discharge rates for each cell / capacity type are on a sheet of A4 that came with the charger. Only bother with this on Ni-Cds, Ni-MH don't need it. Though it can bee good on Ni-MH for testing the batts capacity (empty, then fill)

One more thing. If you charge your Li-po and finds it says "voltage low" then charge it manually, i.e. not from a memory. There is a bug in the Triton that means only for Li-Po's, when you charge a Li-Po from a memory, it actually looks at the figures from the last manual charge settings, not the memory.

I haven't explained this well but thats probably why I'm confused so any help would be great.

Cheers,

David