Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

It might burn.............

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

It might burn.............

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: It might burn.............

I think that that vid might be irrelevent for two reasons:

1) the fire was due to an OFFBOARD leak
2) the leak was near the EXHAUST (helo config)

so it doesn't say much at all about ONboard leaks near the INTAKE.........

It's was an entertaining vid tho!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The bottom line is that the most flammable thing on board or even off board is the gas. If it goes in the intake there will be flames out the exhaust which can find its way back to the source.
Although unlikely, the name of this thread is "It might burn..." and the most likely thing to burn is propane.

The vid just shows how easy it is to ignite the gas and how it can make someone dance and scream like a little girl.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The vid just shows how easy it is to ignite the gas and how it can make someone dance and scream like a little girl.
The video just shows how if you are dumb enough not to turn the valve on the bottle off before disconnecting the gas line it can make someone dance & scream like a little girl!

I bet he won't make the same mistake again! The way he walks around at the end tells me he knew EXACTLY what he did wrong. Oh well, his eyebrows will grow back, the hair will grow again on his arms & his wife will get the stains out of his trousers. - John.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

And at times the gas shoots out with a lot of pressure which is enough for a serious fire. Though a leaky valve shouldn't leak this much, this is what can happen if the gas is dumped in the fuse while the engine is running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eGWU-hVbu4

i hate to point out the obvious but the spraying is from a 1 pound PROPANE bottle, not a onboard tank, and not PowerMax. it seams obvious to me that you have little if any experience with PowerMax and for the 3rd time now, there isn't enough volume of onboard gas to worry your pretty little head over.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Blah blah, weight has nothing to do with it and it's not a 1 lb bottle of propane. It's a mix of propane and butane just like Powermax. Don't be wrong a 4th time
Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

And at times the gas shoots out with a lot of pressure which is enough for a serious fire. Though a leaky valve shouldn't leak this much, this is what can happen if the gas is dumped in the fuse while the engine is running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eGWU-hVbu4

i hate to point out the obvious but the spraying is from a 1 pound PROPANE bottle, not a onboard tank, and not PowerMax. it seams obvious to me that you have little if any experience with PowerMax and for the 3rd time now, there isn't enough volume of onboard gas to worry your pretty little head over.
You are mistaken on this point. Powermax goes fills the onboard canister in a LIQUID state. When it turns into a gas it expands in volume 40 times. So a full JetCat cannister holds more than enough volume to cause plenty of excitement. If fact the liquid powermax is the major reason for all the large flash/bangs, hard starts and tail pipe flares that you see. You never see that with propane gas. The reason is that when liquid powermax gets into the CC it vaporizes, it expands finally ignites and you get the aforementioned problems. You have all seen the liquid making its way from the canister thru the tubeing to the turbine. You also see guys shaking their planes on startup to get them to ignite-that is usually because the powermax (following Boyles law) cools as it expands and leaves the canister-freezing the lines,outlet from the canister etc and blocking flow.
I just cant see why anyone starts that way. Scott
Old 12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

So after all, what is the main composition of powermax?

I have always used Rothember that as 30% propane and 70% butane. Am I missing something?

Nuno
Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 PM
fast jets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be living in a differant world as I have just never have had any issues with on board start gas. When I fill my tank and see that the liquid is slowing down I turn the bottle over till I see no liquid in the line, then I purge the start gas valve using GSU and it is good to go. I do have kero start and gas start JC and when I follow this procedure the gas start is cleaner than the kero start. The only reason to shack the model is when you relize that the on board tank is running low. I do like my kero start turbine but with years of gas start and no troble what so ever I will not change any of my gas start turbines over to kero, only when I buy a new engine.

John