Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Voltage regulator? Or Not?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Voltage regulator? Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Voltage regulator? Or Not?

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

For LION/LIPO you can use a volt meter or one under load to determine the power left in the battery. Any charger that you have been using for your foamies will typically work.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

For me, I see no reason to switch from LION to A123 and have to buy a newer charger.
Hey Pea,

I was in the same boat running Li-Ions with regs and Dick Hanson bugged me for about six months to give the A123's a go and I resisted. I couldn't see replacing spendy power setups for no good reason I could see as well as the other differences you mention.

Then one day I landed my 50cc bird and had flashing rx lights. I couldn't find anything wrong on the ground with a system that was only a year old and not a lot of flights, nor could I duplicate the power brownout on the ground. I bit the bullet and changed it over to A123's, got me a CellPro and tried 'em out for a bit. Then I converted everthing except my foamies and one trainer to A123's and the trainer will get one the next time I wind up playing around with it.

Pat's right on this one; no reason to go any other way with new equipment and IMHO, no reason to buy new Li-Ion's at all and Li-Po's only for electric powered stuff as the A123's just won't give you the flight time right now.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em....
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only things I've heard about the eneloop batteries is what I read in an old issue of MA. I hadn't heard anything else so far about them. Since I'm in need of a new ignition battery and a 2,000 mAh nicd is getting hard to find I've been thinking about giving them a try.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have any feedback on the Duralite Gemini regulator - thinking of trying ot fro two LiMN 3000 mah packs to power a 1221 Jr Rx
Thanks
Dave