Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya TB-03 Build, Setup & Hopups Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM
yellowfuzzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya TB-03 Build, Setup & Hopups Thread

I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but it seems more appropriate to post here than starting a new "what should I get?" thread.

I was looking at the TB-03 as base for a on-road/off-road rally car. I have a Novak Brushless system sitting around and a radio system, but no vehicle to run them in. Just trying to correct the problem . Its been a while (2+ years) since I've built an RC so I'm a little out of the loop, but the TB03 seems a good bet. I have/had a DF-03, so I'm not interested in the DF03Ra, as I had issues fitting my brushless system in the DF03, and also issues with gearboxes stripping.

If I get the TB-03, I'd also probably get aftermarket shocks, a steering set, new driveshaft, some rally tires. Anything else that seems necessary? I'm not it the stock pinion setup will run smoothly or not. Any one have experience running brushless in the TB-03?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
ephatch510

ORIGINAL: yellowfuzzle

I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but it seems more appropriate to post here than starting a new ''what should I get?'' thread.

I was looking at the TB-03 as base for a on-road/off-road rally car. I have a Novak Brushless system sitting around and a radio system, but no vehicle to run them in. Just trying to correct the problem . Its been a while (2+ years) since I've built an RC so I'm a little out of the loop, but the TB03 seems a good bet. I have/had a DF-03, so I'm not interested in the DF03Ra, as I had issues fitting my brushless system in the DF03, and also issues with gearboxes stripping.

If I get the TB-03, I'd also probably get aftermarket shocks, a steering set, new driveshaft, some rally tires. Anything else that seems necessary? I'm not it the stock pinion setup will run smoothly or not. Any one have experience running brushless in the TB-03?
I picked up a tb-03 a few months ago, as of right now i have the castles sidewinder 5700 in there, haven't really had any problems, but i had to make a few mods to make sure of that.

what you want to upgrade for a high powered motor, is the cup joints for the axles and drive shaft since they come in plastic. You can get metal ones from tamiya and 3racing.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
yellowfuzzle

Thanks. Like I said above, I was looking at the TB-03 as a rally car so I'm planning on replacing the tires/wheels and the body anyway. I was looking at the D version because it is cheaper than the regular one (but it isn't like I need the body or tires from the regular one anyway). The only other difference between the TB-03D and the TB-03 that I can tell is the front "IFS" shock setup that the 03 has. Is that worth the $10 extra in price?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:10 PM
SIRCC

im lookin for a 52 spur for my tb-02
Old 11-24-2009, 03:40 AM
slegh

ok guys first off i dont own tb03. what i am intreasted in is the length of the center shaft. i have a crazy idea that it might work on my tc3 if its long enough. i was wonder if some can please measure there center shaft for me i would be greatly apresiate it.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys i was wondering what tools i need to build a tb03 as i have no idea what i need. Please tell me what tools come in the kit (if it contains any) and what tools i need to buy. I am getting a tb03r which comes with trf special suspension so i think you might need some special tools for that. Also see how the tb03r comes with 20 hop us, does it also come with the stock replaced parts or not. Thanks

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
TT01E with EZRUN 9T (POWERRRRR!)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Willystylz

Normally kits come with all the "required" tools. Keep in mind that these tools are very basic, and not built for comfort (allen keys[]). The included tools will allow you to build the kit, but I'd suggest having a hex driver set. Would kinda save some time building, and your fingers as well!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Haddi Taha

Default RE: Tamiya TB-03 Resource Thread

make sure your tierods are adjusted properly because some changes can affect your rockerarms.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Haddi Taha

Default RE: Tamiya TB-03 Build / Hopups Thread

try rc mushroom, cheap and reliable, they even sent my friend a free rc mushroom stickersheet when he purchased his tb03r
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Haddi Taha

hi my tt01e has a the same problem, it has actually put a ring around the wheel hub of wear. See thatsmall cylinder with a hole and a hex screw that goes in the dogbone part of the universal, tighten it alot and if you use anti wear grease in the universal, dont as it attracts dirt. di-assemble your uni's, clean them out then put them back together tight and see if it works.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

try rc mushroom, cheap and reliable, they even sent my friend a free rc mushroom stickersheet when he purchased his tb03r
I love RC-MUSHROOM!!! Quick shipping, and they even fudge the $ amounts on the invoice so I don't have to pay duties!

I notice too that they have a nice deal on an Evo V
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Haddi Taha

yes tb evo V,they are sold there 300 USDand there should be plenty to go around as they just restocked there tb03r's and tb evo V's. They also have cheap postage compared to other chinese shops and most fast, lol i had to wait 5 days at tamiya shop to be told that the item that was listed stock was sold out the to wait another 5days to replace my item with something else and finally being shipped today.Getting a tb03r at around september. I wonder if there would be new tb evo VI and TRF417 incorprating IFS Suspension soon, don't like stand up dampers compared to ifs due to lack of adjustablity, ifs is lower center of gravity and look so good as well.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Willystylz

Maybe someone with better Tamiya crudentials can tell me, but I didn't think Tamiya was making the Evo V anymore. So I wonder where RC-Mushroom found a supply of them?

The TB-03's laydown front dampers are also handy for fitting some bodies that have a low front end.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Haddi Taha

Very tempting to buy from Hong Kong, RC Mushroom sell TB EVO V's for 300USD! speed shipment is about $40 to Australia so should be much cheaper to US,Canada,UK ect
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Haddi Taha

There might be a last TBEVOVmodel then i think tamiya might abandon shaft driven cars and forcus on the 416 People say ther would be a TA06 or a TB03V.2 or something. Should be helpful in GT3 Class for TB03 owners as torque steer isn't a prob with silvercan. Tamiya Should change some stuff with the motor/spur because it is a hard (compared too TA05) to find a good ratio good with the 2.5 internal ratio in 17.5T motors used in GT2, So thats a prob with TB03 in racing, still don't want shaft to die out, getting a TB03R soon for streetbashing and racing purposes. TB03's are getting cheap so maybe tamiya is trying to clear out the old ones to welcome a new model.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Haddi Taha

well from what i know, the ifs suspension was also designed to give a low nose look to the body shells that come with the kit(ARTA Garariya, Takata NSX) so probally if your going offroad, probally might be a problem but maybe you can adjust it to be higher as i haven't had a car with ifs yet.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Haddi Taha

does the tb03 come with oil dampers
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Haddi Taha

For some reason the font wheels are always spining faster than the rear in my tb03, im tired of opening the diff case, rebuilding the diff, close it and nothings any better. Any help