Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 AM
ESForeman450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cliff Climber Trail Rig Project

you said you are going to put faster motors on you truck, they are 2 other 380 motors for it on towers site. a 8500 and a 11k. the 11k maybe the one want, from what i have read it's about 2x's faster and have good power. they are about $12. not a crawler motor but should fill the bill for you truck.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
HYPERMINIS

I had just noticed those myself, and was wondering what the performance differences might be. Thanks a bunch for the input. Looks like those will be the motors I grab.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
HYPERMINIS

Ok here's a few updated pics. I wasn't really happy with the way the body looked being so shiny painted from the inside, so I decided to paint it from the outside to dull it a little. I'm also not real happy with this particular color, so I think I'm going to sand it smooth, and do it again, but this time either in flat black or primer grey. I still have quite a bit of work to do around the grill, and on the roll bar, and more painting to do to the driver, but it's slowly coming along. I'll get the vid loaded and posted this evening.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

There you are...You were MIA for a while after you said you were going to post the video last time...Busy? What did you use to cover those lights in the front? It looks real! I am looking for some plastic that has the lines in it like you have but can't find it. The yellow light covers as well! Coming together real nice!

Z
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
HYPERMINIS

Very busy. Work has been crazy lately. I'm gone almost 15 hours a day, and sleeping the rest lol. The yellow on the lights is an acrylic paint. If it's put on in very thin coats it remains pretty much transparent, so that the light can shine right through.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

do these things suck at crawling. from what i heard they do? i just dont know how they could?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
HYPERMINIS

They aren't as capable as an Axial, or some of the other larger rigs, but I def would not say they suck. Honestly it crawls much better than I expected it to. I'm loading a short vid right now of it in action, and I'll post it as soon as it's done. With a few key upgrades I have no doubt that it will be able to do some serious crawling. Keep in mind I'm not into comp crawling. I'm more into just crawling over things here and there and doing some trail running, and for that it does very well.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 AM
HYPERMINIS

I'm having some difficulty with the video due to my chosen song. It's looking like I will have to redo it to a different tune. Here are a few more pics in the meantime.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Traxxas4fun

what key upgrades did you do to it?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 AM
HYPERMINIS

I haven't yet done any on this truck. It will eventually be getting a small stretch, some weighted wheels, and a good lowering of its COG, either with an aftermarket chassis, or some modification of the stock chassis.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Traxxas4fun

i want one of these, but im trying to convince myself there worth it lol..

i heard the clod stall was horrible..
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
HYPERMINIS

On any real steep inclines the stall can be pretty bad. It has only affected me a couple times, and it was when I was trying to climb something well beyond what this truck should realistically be attempting. Otherwise it does very well. I'll have the vid finished up soon, and get it posted so you can get an idea of what the truck is capable of.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
HYPERMINIS

Small update today guys. My roof rack finally arrived, so I got it installed and moved the gas can into it. Now I just need my light bar to show up, and I need to get a cooler, jack and some other tools mounted on it.

Here's the vid finally. I'll get another one soon that will be much better since it will be shot along the banks of the river.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQjyYjOhjo&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
Old 05-17-2009, 05:08 PM
HYPERMINIS

Ok guys, yesterday I won an original Blackfoot body on ebay, so I decided to see what the Parma Blackfoot body currently on the truck would look like on the CC. I moved all of the scale accessories and the driver over to it, and got it mounted. The only thing I don't like is that I can't use my grill, and now I have to wire up a whole new set of lights, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.</p>

</p>
Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 AM
56-jeephead
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks cool Hyperminis!
-Z
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
HYPERMINIS

Thanks. I think it will look better once I get some 1.9 wheels and tires installed.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have the prebuilt Cliff Climber on for $49 at tower....</p>

</p>

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...V&amp;I=LXURC2</p>
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 AM
HYPERMINIS

Yeah they were $59 when I bought this one, but I had a coupon code, so I got it for $59 shipped. Well worth every penny IMO.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Looking good Hyper. I was thinking about buying one for the kid. I have extra Tx/Rx and ESC but the ESC is one of those that was purposely built for racing and hath no reverse...I would be stuck between a rock and well, a rock......LOL

Z
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
HYPERMINIS

Thanks man. Yeah a non reversing ESC in a crawler def would not be the ideal setup, but hey if it's what you've got and it gets it up and running it's better than nothing.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
HYPERMINIS

Well I finished my bungees, the cooler, and got the lights installed in the front. I still have to finish the jack, and figure out what I'm gonna do for brake light lenses, then I'll start working on a grill. Here's a few updated pics.</p>

</p>
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awsome, I think that rifle I saw in an earlier post would look good mounted inside the rear window.( like they used to be)
Love the ford body!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
HYPERMINIS

Thanks man. I agree the rear window def needs a rifle. I might have to get to work on that very soon.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
HYPERMINIS

Well I got started on the bed today, and everything is going smoothly. So far I have cut out the lexan that made up the original top of the bed, and I have gotten my insert glued into place along with some strips of lexan to make up the ribs. I know the ribs aren't all symetrical, but I did this on purpose in hopes that once I get it all painted black it will look a little beat up and not look all perfect and untouched. I once again found a way to recycle some material. The insert is actually the packaging from my roof rack. I had to cut it a bit and make a few mods to it to get the proper dimensions, but it was very close to begin with. I'll have some modelling to do to get a nice finish at the cab. The spot that is cut out up behind the driver, is there for a reason, which I will reveal later on. :wink  Anyhow here are a few pics of where it's at right now.</p>

</p>
Old 05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
860Crawler

What a coincidence that the Proline packaging is a perfect fit for a dropped bed! Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.