Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Dumas Scarab

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Dumas Scarab

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumas Scarab

Dave,

Looking great! I like your touches: home made t-bar is great, I also like how you have put in "mini bulkheads" for the drive shaft stuffing tube under the radio box. I wished I would have thought (or seen yours) prior to installing mine in the scarab! great solution there.

keep it up...mine is still at the painter/buddy...I can't wait to get it wet!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Lil Dave

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I'm happy with her so far. It's not as pretty as alot of the boats I've seen but it stands out a bit. And like most say ' building is 90% of the fun' I must say I agree. But I can't wait to get her wet. Can I see some pics of your scarab? And I'll get you a thumb drive in the mail shortly..... Thanks!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
FlogginHarvey

Beauty is in the eye... build, run, tweak, HAVE FUN!

I don't want to totally hi-jack your thread. I will start on this morning called "Old School Dumas Scarab Resto" with some details and quite a bit of pix. The boat is at a buddy's for painting...I am like a little boy waiting for this thing.

Keep building and take lots of pix!!! it looks great!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 AM
avenge

Having fun is the main thing. Here are some pics of my dumas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35673.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1195513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98519.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1195514  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: avenge

Having fun is the main thing. Here are some pics of my dumas.

EXACTLY!!! Looks AWESOME! Got any pix of inside and running? love to see and try to learn a little!!!

Here is the thread I just put together here...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8756475
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Lil Dave

Good thread Harvey... I'd like to see more of your scarab as well avenge... So My next question is , since My engine is stock right now, I was thinking a prather 265 prop to start out? And move to a 275 once mods happen, or I get a new plant.... Whatcha think?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
FlogginHarvey

Timing is everything, funny you should ask that. As the 265 goes, I think they have a 3/16" diameter hole so without some major hassle I do not believe it will work on your 1/4" shaft. The smallest prop I have seen Prather offer in 1/4" shaft is the 270. I have heard and read that the 275 was a great start on the surface drives and a 270 for a subsurface setup.

Here is what another thread turned up on the same subjec this morning...

ABC Prop. 2614/3 = more diameter, less pitch, less lift

Prop shop 6717/3 = smaller diameter, more pitch, more lift

I also stumbled into a Prather 280SS and Propshop 6518-3 and am curious to see what it can do. Just make sure whatever you choose to throw on that it has been balanced & sharpened at least. Some of the racers (although all will argue the Scarab is NOT a race hull) also have their props thinned and polished...opolishing for the bling??? Thined makes them lighter...but only rally for the Stainless props as the copper blades are MUCH softer and will be ruined if you hit somehting in the water with any velocity...

Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 PM
avenge

Here are some pics lil dave. I used speedmaster hardware and my powerplant is a K&B .67. Like flogginharvey said the scarab is not the fastest out there, but get it in choppy waters OOOHHHHH BBBOOOOYYYYYY!!!!!! Just a blast to drive....

Name:	Pn36716.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1197618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11294.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1197619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48797.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1197620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98821.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1197621  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
darindotson

Nice builds guys! If anyone hears about a 38kv up for sale, please let me know- I have always wanted one!! I love my 45" Scarab!

Thanks

Darin
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Lil Dave

Ok gentlemen next question... What kind of angles are you guys seeing on your rudder sweeps?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Lil Dave

Really?? No one at all wants to answer?  well I have my radio box, and my outdrive standoff.. I'm going after my steering servo after my lake outing in the am... So There will be new pics soon...  any input on effective rudder sweeps would be appreciated!  Thanks guys!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
avenge

Not sure what u mean by rudder sweeps lil dave??? But with my scarab my rudder is very long, not wide, so when I turn it is in small increaments. I had to trim out some rudder throw.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Lil Dave

You have the right idea.. like a caster sweep when your aligning a vehicle... Like lock to lock on your steering.. if straight is 0 degrees, what is optimum sweep for good steering in both directions? How much is too much?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 AM
avenge

That will depend on your setup and water conditions. I dont think anyone would be able to give you an exact number as each boat is different even if it is the same hull. Similar but not exactly the same. Best bet is to experiment, and go slow until you are use to the way the boat is turning.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 AM
FlogginHarvey

Man, I am not sure.

I have been plunking around looking into a Rico Offshore Mono and in their setup tips it mentions using a total throw of 60% from right to left of 100% with the rudder.

I have also read that it is a VERY good idea to turn the expo down so it is not a one-to-one (or linear) ratio with thewheel on the radio. Less sensative at the inital and becoming more sensative the more wheel input you give the radio.

In addition, I read on another forum that some one set the expo all the way down to -50 on his Futaba 3PK because he was having a big problem with the boat swapping ends EVERY TIME he tried a turn...that fixed his issues all together.

I hope that helped and makes some sense. What radio and servo setup are you using?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Lil Dave

That makes perfect sense.   I'm running a hs 755 hitec servo, A fm novac reciever. I haven't made a decision on a radio yet but I have a few on the shelf, a junior and a magnum sport, and a 3 channel traxxas setup. I have no Idea which I will use yet, My magnum sport has yet to let me down on my basher(which is  AM), So I was thinking about using the other mag I have on my crawler.  The Traxxas setup I had on my nitro Sk daddle too worked great with the exception of the boat running really wet....
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Lil Dave

And since i said somthing, I had a hickup.. when my am on my basher, today.. lost range it went dead... I thought the engine died because I couldn't hear it, I grabbed my fuel and my radio flier toter, and walked towards the area I thought it would drift and sat in some shade... for about 10 seconds.. I was hearing a running engine! So I bulled my antenna and turned my trans back on and gave it throttle and she moved!!! Yes! So I have been looking into the fasst setups.. I was lucky to not have a runner, And the range was ok, But I want better...
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Lil Dave

Ifinally got all my electronics, 274oz sreering servo, 204oz throttle servo, 2.4ghz radio and reciever, and enforcer radio box... would you guys mind posting some pics of your radio boxes??
Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
bullboy8

Sorry dave no good pics from me, but I do like the choice of radio box.  those are real nice boxes.  A little hint to drilling through those boxes (if you don't know already) when drilling holes in the box drill "backward"  that way you can't crack the plastic.  I wish someone would have told me that a LONG time ago LOL.  I'm getting close to the end of my build also. we should go run them together when we both get a chance. -Edmond
Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Lil Dave

For sure Edmond!!!  I've got your number, and it would be nice to have someone elso to run with!  I've got the next 2 days off so I'm hoping to get some work done on her....  let me know when and where and we'll make it so...  Don't be shy, hit me up!  Take care mang!!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Lil Dave

Since your radio boxes are top secret.... Can anyone help me with a square yard of carbon fiber matt???  Pm me if so....   Thanks!!  Dave
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need very little rudder throw on a fast boat,20%-30% is plenty,any more you will spin out.Turn fins also help make turns smoother and better.Most of mine i probably only need to use 15% i bareley have to put any input into it to make em turn once the boats setup right anyways.
Mart
Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
bullboy8

Hey Dave,

I'm gonna sneek one in on your thread...Painter? Hows the search coming? You know Fountain Powerboats, and Magic Powerboats are close to you down were you live maybe check with those guys for carbon fiber because I know they have some. Have fun bud! -Edmond
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Lil Dave

Sorry Ed, I'll have somthing for you by friday.... And thanks for the tip on the c/f! I may ask you for some help on my woody project I have simmering.... Do ya mind?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
darindotson

Dave- your Scarab project is looking saweeeeet!! I was looking at your deck, and see the two "faux" hatches there. Why don't you go over to the Dumas site and order a 38kV dress up kit- I put one on my Scarab 60 right on top of the faux hatches and it looks pretty good! Plus, you can use the vents along your cowl. Just a suggestion! They are only 18 bucks, and they are the last of the Scarab parts still available.

Darin

Name:	Li21224.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1224199  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.