Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

VQ P-38 Maiden

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:15 PM
RangerVorian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ P-38 Maiden

Bob,

I'm just getting ready to fly mine for the first time this weekend and hopefully all will be fine. I'll try the hemostat plier thing.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2003, 12:09 PM
davidad52

Default VQ P-38 Maiden

Bob,

Would you happen to have a pic of the hemostat. I'm having a little difficulty picturing how you are using it. I had a concern about the multiple times of connecting and disconnecting the ball joint. I'm having trouble enough connecting. Something as simple as a 45 deg hemostat could take care of it. I'm hoping to have mine flying in about 2 weeks.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-31-2003, 06:18 PM
rdavit
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hemostat

Hi David

I don't have a picture to down load, but if you go to surgicaltools.com and look under hemostat - curved you'll see a variety of "bent" pliers that let you get up into the wing and snap the ball joints together. I purchased them at our local hobby store, but would bet Tower Hobbies has these in stock (for 1/2 the cost surgiclatools.com has them for)

To disconnect the flap control rod / ball joint, I use the same pliers to grab the "joint" from the outer edge and push off the "ball" in the center of the "joint"......the through hole.......works pretty well, but in time I expect this will wear the connection......

Bob
Old 07-31-2003, 06:27 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default Hemostat

You can also try radio-shack. They used to carry them for holding small electronic parts while soldering...don't know if they still do.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
rdavit

Default Wing Tubes???

I'm finding after 12 flights, the wing tubes are in a serious interference fit (possibly from the wood screws used to hold them together raising metal upon tightening). Any thoughts on this? (Removing the wing tips is on the verge of pulling the fuse tubes out)

Bob

p.s. Blew the front nose gear out on a stalled landing: replaced firewall and use nylon 6-32 screws now (Stalled 2nd time.....still learning to goose those throttles on landing.....and nylon screws popped.....replaced in 1/2 hour...flew again)
Old 08-21-2003, 01:50 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Default VQ P-38 Maiden

Bill Thanks for tip on sync.. I have 4 engines will check out EMS.. vettdvr (see c130)
Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Default Flying the twin

Hey guys!!

Just the forum I need. I have always had a fantasy about twins, any kind of twins!!

I have already broken a G&P P-38, a VQ A-26 and now I have the white VQ P-38 comming online with OS 91's.

I want to install the gyro consept this time and try to buy some time to get back to the field.

Both of the other twins spun trying to get back around after engin out.

Any tips on what gyro and what control surface, or is an auto pilot sytem better?

Any twin nuts who want to give advice to a newbe tiwn flyer will not be held responsible for their comments.

I have had just enough experiance at this point to know I may be in for some hard times with twins.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:05 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VQ P-38 Maiden

Simple:

Read here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...57&forumid=220

A "Simple" search will find other entries also.

Bill..
Old 08-27-2003, 11:06 PM
twinman

Default Gryos

For the P-38, I strongly suggest two gyros.
One for the rudders, which are small and another twin input and twin output for the ailerons.
The P-38 will snap roll MUCH FASTER THAN THE OTHER PLANES YOU MENTIONED. The second gyro on the ailerons dampens this problem to a rate slow enough to handle.
If I can be of help. Let me know,
Old 08-29-2003, 01:51 AM
rdavit

Default VQ P-38

Simple,

I have yet to lose an engine on the VQ P-38 (knock on balsa), but I do have a gyro on the rudders for a "Just in case". I use on board glows for my Saito's (inverted) for extra reliability and do a vertical run up before every flight (saved my bacon twice). The plane is an absolute blast to fly and believe it will scratch that "twin" itch....it has for me.

p.s. Thank you again twinman.....your advice has been invaluable. Do you take cash/credit/bullion?

Bob
Old 08-29-2003, 02:42 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default wing tips loose.

Bob,
If the wing tips are loose,
you may want to try drilling the center of
the aluminum tubes that the screws go into.
I used an 1/8" drill and put 1/8" brass tubing
as inserts instead of the screws.
I then soldered a piece of elliptical brass
to the top of the brass tube and put a hole on the other side of the elliptical piece to put a screw through to keep the brass tubing from vibrating out.

Sam
Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
twinman

Default VQ P-38

rdavit
I am very happy that you are doing so well, and having a blast with my personal favorite. Nothing looks like it in the sky or stops the field like a P-38. ( OK, My recent five engine flight, was pretty good at stoping the field for crash betting......poor taste)
Warning,,,,,,do not let your guard down. I have done it and it will bite you.
Always, ALWAYS do the vertical test before every flight. It gets more important as the weather begins to cool. Early in the morning, the engines run one way, and two hours later, that is too lean.
We, at this forum need pictures in flight!!!!
Good Luck,
Twinman