Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New (Old) Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New (Old) Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: New (Old) Yellow Aircraft F/A-18 ARF

shaun,
have they done away w/ the external linkage for the flaps on the newer bug?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
yanknbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the best test sites are dry lake beds, right? For real, hit me up when you get a minute.

Y&B out
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 AM
R/C-Plane

I hope to see more Yellow Aircraft ARFs in the future

These look absolutely stunning
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ali

. so before I pull the trigger..... What turbine do you guys think for a single set up?
Shaun,
Can you photo any of the hardware and ancillaries that this model comes with please? also whats doing as regards cockpit detail and ordinance?? A bug's gotta have STUFF hanging from it surely??
regards Al

Hi,

Well, there's not much in the way of hardware. There are ball-bearing pushrod connectors on the stab pivot arms, but that's pretty much it! You'll only need pushrods and linkage hardware plus the normal fuel and engine hardware. I'm glad you like the plane. I'd be honored to have you fly mine if you're over here!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Shaun Evans

Thomas,

The flap linkage is still external, but it's practically invisible. There's a servo well that's in the root of the wing, and you install your clevis or ball to the bottom of the inboard hinge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92839.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1242762  
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Shaun Evans

Hey,

Won't be long now....

Engines mounted in their bypasses and into the plane. The pneumatic systems are all installed (except for mounting of the air tanks), as well as all of the servos. I still have to paint the gear, though. I hate doing that....

Name:	Sp45036.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1390494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78286.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1390495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41524.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1390496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25036.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1390497  
Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

So the AUW is 37.5lbs dry, balanced about a half inch nose-heavy. Not bad for twin-engine installation, eh?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

very nice!!!! should be a rocket ship in flight and a floater on landing.

congrats
Old 03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Thanks, Buck! I wish you were here to help with the maiden....
Sorry for the lame pics, there off my Blackberry.

Name:	Fd90794.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1398043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82197.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1398044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10993.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1398045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12915.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1398046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74727.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1398047  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Shawn,

Very nice. I am impressed you came out so light with a twin turbine install. I have a single tubine in mine (Behotec JB-180), and she's about 41-42# dry. It's a recent (last spring) vintage ARF. I am carrying some extra weight in the form of a Details4Scale cockpit, a D4S lighting system and a nice BB pilot but the plane needed the noseweight anyway .. though I suppose I could have used less if I put it all the way in the nose, but those accessories are just way too cool :-)

Looking forward to a maiden report from you! I'll be doing mine this spring.

Dave McQueeney
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
invertmast

The weight is awesome shawn.. I believe the dry weight of mine was 42-43lbs with a pair of Ram 100's and bare essentials (no cockpit, armamanent, etc).
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

looks good amigo. she's a kitty cat with no bad habits. good luck. you dragging her up to Buttonwillow?

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Thanks, Buck! I wish you were here to help with the maiden....
Sorry for the lame pics, there off my Blackberry.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
ww2birds

Guys,

Since there are a lot of experienced twin bug drivers here, let me confirm what I have gathered from other posts, videos of maidens, etc:

0) CG is to be right on the centerline of the front wing spar former
1) Factory throws are probably fine for all surfaces
2) Flap is essential for takeoff, maybe even full flap?
3) When going to full flap on short final, deploy the air brake to control pitchup tendency
4) Make sure it sits level or slight nose-up on the gear for correct takeoff attitude
5) Might need stiffer nosewheel springs to achieve 4
6) Might need stiffer main gear springs to keep it from getting tippy on t/o or landing roll
7) Neutral on elevators is LE pointing about at the top of the formation lights

Questions still on my mind so I can most efficiently worry myself over the maiden:

1) Does it *really* not mind the 11.5 pounds of Kero at takeoff, all ahead of the CG? Wow...I'll probably chicken out and do less than full fuel for first flight, and do a shorter flight, since I am just over 20 oz/min at full throttle, and have the Mueller tanks for 200 oz total. After a 10 min (or longer) maiden I'd probably be a basket case :-)

2) Would it be useful (vs. merely cool) to droop the ailerons with the flaps for the mid-flap setting (e.g. for takeoff)

3) How will perfomance be with a Behotec JB-180 (came with a factory spec sheet stating 186N thrust) Dry weight 42#.

4) Have the newer -vintage ARFs have taken the right steps to get the gear doors working correctly. I am using the UP controllers. I did "massage" the door areas to make sure the big barn door main doors opened well clear of the gear knukle joint ..

5) On my setup, it looks like it's on the razor's edge to get the smaller rear main doors to open just the right amount so the wheels don't hit them on full strut compression, and they clear the gear when retracting. Am I missing something? It works but seems unlikely it will stay dead-on for a long time.

Thanks,

Dave McQueeney

Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Shawn- awesome install bro! looking great! Will you be going to Cal Jets?!? BTW-Happy birthday
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got your fences Shaun.
Call me.
PR
Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Shaun Evans

Nick,

Thanks, bro! Yes, she'll be at CJ. Thanks for the B-Day wishes, too!

Paul,

I'll call you...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found my new "dream jet"!!! Friggin' gorgeous!!!!! [X(][X(]
Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

Shawn,

What is the price for the ARF wings? When I called you for a price I wasn't sure if it was for the kit wings or ARF.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Guys,

Since there are a lot of experienced twin bug drivers here, let me confirm what I have gathered from other posts, videos of maidens, etc:

0) CG is to be right on the centerline of the front wing spar former
1) Factory throws are probably fine for all surfaces
2) Flap is essential for takeoff, maybe even full flap?
3) When going to full flap on short final, deploy the air brake to control pitchup tendency
4) Make sure it sits level or slight nose-up on the gear for correct takeoff attitude
5) Might need stiffer nosewheel springs to achieve 4
6) Might need stiffer main gear springs to keep it from getting tippy on t/o or landing roll
7) Neutral on elevators is LE pointing about at the top of the formation lights

Questions still on my mind so I can most efficiently worry myself over the maiden:

1) Does it *really* not mind the 11.5 pounds of Kero at takeoff, all ahead of the CG? Wow...I'll probably chicken out and do less than full fuel for first flight, and do a shorter flight, since I am just over 20 oz/min at full throttle, and have the Mueller tanks for 200 oz total. After a 10 min (or longer) maiden I'd probably be a basket case :-)

2) Would it be useful (vs. merely cool) to droop the ailerons with the flaps for the mid-flap setting (e.g. for takeoff)

3) How will perfomance be with a Behotec JB-180 (came with a factory spec sheet stating 186N thrust) Dry weight 42#.

4) Have the newer -vintage ARFs have taken the right steps to get the gear doors working correctly. I am using the UP controllers. I did ''massage'' the door areas to make sure the big barn door main doors opened well clear of the gear knukle joint ..

5) On my setup, it looks like it's on the razor's edge to get the smaller rear main doors to open just the right amount so the wheels don't hit them on full strut compression, and they clear the gear when retracting. Am I missing something? It works but seems unlikely it will stay dead-on for a long time.

Thanks,

Dave McQueeney

Hi Dave,

Your summary is perfectly valid for the FEJ F-18F. I am not sure about the YA aircraft because I never had one.
Anyway I know that it is way, way better than the latter and if I had to go for another one I'd pickup the YA ( given the time I have wasted getting the FEJ to work properly, that makes up for the extra cost of the YA ).
The two planes are probably very close in handling when setup correctly. However the FEJ comes at 48 lbs dry with some limited ordnance and needs at least 220 N of thrust to fly correctly.

The YA at 38 lbs must be fantastic in flight...

BIG CAUTION: the spec sheet from Behotec is not reliable. I have recently tested for RCJI a brand new 180 gold with a spec sheet showing 183N @ ISA. The engine was not able to give more than 165N @ ISA on the stock ECU.

It is a very nice engine but competes more with the P-160SX than with the P-180...
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 AM
olnico

Shaun,

Could you post a picture of the plane sitting on its gear at AUW take from the front from a distance ?
I'd like to see how close you are from scale with the gear stance.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: olnico

Shaun,

Could you post a picture of the plane sitting on its gear at AUW take from the front from a distance ?
I'd like to see how close you are from scale with the gear stance.

Thank you in advance.
Oli,
Here's a shot of mine @ roughly 40-42lbs dry:

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
ww2birds

Oli, here is a pic of mine on the gear .. less wings so a tad bit lighter than AUW.

I have run the Behotec 180 GE on a test stand, but with no thrust measurement capability, and flown it on a Kingcat. The KC normally has a Jetcat 160 on it, and it is really impressive, way more fun than a 120-powered version. When we flew it with the 180 GE it went from "Really fun" to "OMG, that's awesome!". Sorry, that's not very quantitative!

It would be interesting to see if others get the same results on the GE that you did. I have seen several reports of somewhat optimistic thrust measurements from other turbine mfrs, including JC. It would be quite interesting to see the 180 GE and a JC 160 tested back-to-back on the same stand, same weather etc and see what the actual-to-actual comparison is vs. spec to spec or spec to actual.

FWIW, my Y/A F-18 is more like 44# dry, I did add a fancy cockpit and pilot and lighting system ... though I needed the noseweight anyway.

Thomas,

Did you have any issues with the main wheels contacting the rear gear doors at max strut compression?

Dave

Name:	Zx69901.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1405722  
Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
EDFCrazy

ORIGINAL: socshooter

Shawn,

What is the price for the ARF wings? When I called you for a price I wasn't sure if it was for the kit wings or ARF.
Im also keen to know the price for the ARF wings unpainted.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Oli, here is a pic of mine on the gear .. less wings so a tad bit lighter than AUW.

I have run the Behotec 180 GE on a test stand, but with no thrust measurement capability, and flown it on a Kingcat. The KC normally has a Jetcat 160 on it, and it is really impressive, way more fun than a 120-powered version. When we flew it with the 180 GE it went from ''Really fun'' to ''OMG, that's awesome!''. Sorry, that's not very quantitative!

It would be interesting to see if others get the same results on the GE that you did. I have seen several reports of somewhat optimistic thrust measurements from other turbine mfrs, including JC. It would be quite interesting to see the 180 GE and a JC 160 tested back-to-back on the same stand, same weather etc and see what the actual-to-actual comparison is vs. spec to spec or spec to actual.

FWIW, my Y/A F-18 is more like 44# dry, I did add a fancy cockpit and pilot and lighting system ... though I needed the noseweight anyway.

Thomas,

Did you have any issues with the main wheels contacting the rear gear doors at max strut compression?

Dave

dave,
My doors opened enough to allow the wheels to reach max compression and then they just barely rubbed on the doors. I'm waiting on its new owner to fly it to see how it works otherwise, but i dont forsee any issue with the rubber tires i have on that bug.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 AM
olnico

Thank you for the information guys.

Dave, the comparison tool is available at the last page of RCJI.
The table is showing all the engine tested so far, corrected to ISA conditions.
The test bench are laboratory equipment and calibrated accordingly.

The results are very dependable...

Regarding the 180 GE, I have a lot of independent reports from Germany and Spain observing the same results as I did.
There is also a thread on the German jet forum about this fact.
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=186577

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.