Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI Crawler King

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 AM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Crawler King

yea a $40 pack is a waste of money for a crawler, you will get the exact same performance out of the cheaper pack. As for chargers, if you dont need to charge two packs at once, the onyx 220 is definitely a better charger than the 240. However, you never know what might happen in the future, so I would go for an Onyx 230, in case you ever get into lipo's or a123 batteries....
Old 07-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Dsyyke

so with that charger wahht would i need to do lipo's??
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Dsyyke

so with that charger wahht would i need to do lipo's??
wich charger? if you are talking about the onyx 230, you just need a balancer, i use the equinox balancer
Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Dsyyke

ok, i my just go with the onyx 210 for now, its cheap and easy, or is the 220 with the lcd that much better?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Dsyyke

i meant the 200
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Dsyyke

so is the lcd screen really worth it?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
dacaur

Yes, the lcd is VERY worth it in my opinion. The lcd tells you how many mah the battery has taken, and how long its been charging. So you can see the actual capacity of your packs. Its not 100% necessary to know that, but its nice because you will have an early warning when a pack is starting to go bad, because it will hold less mah. So you can just set it charging, then when its done, you can see how much power the charger put into it, and how long it took. You can also use it to estimate how much longer it will be before the battery is charged. Say you have a 3000mah battery, you are impatient to drive, but your battery is dead!, so you can just put like 2500mah into it and go Then you can start driving while you fully charge the other one.. Another thing you can also use it for is to calculate amp draw. Charge the battery, run the truck for 10 min, then charge it again. If it takes, say, 1500mah to re-charge, you know that your crawler draws 1.5 amps.

I would never buy a charger without an lcd screen again.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM
robwiljas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Yes, the lcd is VERY worth it in my opinion. The lcd tells you how many mah the battery has taken, and how long its been charging. So you can see the actual capacity of your packs. Its not 100% necessary to know that, but its nice because you will have an early warning when a pack is starting to go bad, because it will hold less mah. So you can just set it charging, then when its done, you can see how much power the charger put into it, and how long it took. You can also use it to estimate how much longer it will be before the battery is charged. Say you have a 3000mah battery, you are impatient to drive, but your battery is dead!, so you can just put like 2500mah into it and go Then you can start driving while you fully charge the other one.. Another thing you can also use it for is to calculate amp draw. Charge the battery, run the truck for 10 min, then charge it again. If it takes, say, 1500mah to re-charge, you know that your crawler draws 1.5 amps.

I would never buy a charger without an lcd screen again.
I completely agree. I love my charger with LCD and would never go back to a charger without one.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

if i could redo it, i would of got the onyx230 instead of my duratrax pirhna, i am thinking of going lipos soon, now im going to buy a cheaper lipo charger for lipos, instead of 2 lipo packs
Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Dsyyke

so what one would be better? 210 or 220?

Than ks
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
dacaur

the 220 is definaly better and WELL worth the extra $10 it costs. The 210 can only charge at .8, 1.5, 3, and 5 amps, while the 220 can charge from .1 to 5 amps in .1 amp incriments. It also has a 300min safty timer vs the 210's 90 min timer, which is usefull if you want to charge a pack slowly. I hate my triton Jr's 90 min saftly timer... 300 min would be sweet. The 220 also has 5 battery memories, the 210 has none. The 220 also has a much nicer screen.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
savagerunner456

<font size="4">I new to rock crawling i searched the web for a rock crawler the hpi crawler straight away.  ordered it soon after. When it arrived i tried it and it did do better than expected better. one problem i had from the start was the body it keep scratching the tires. so i gave up rock crawling for now and turned my crawler king in a trail king. I did a series of big and small changes so i :

put on savage xl tires

converted it brushless

made it waterproof by putting in a traxxas vxl system, water proof steering servos, and a futaba 3 2pl radio in a traxxas air tight box

a 3s 11.1 3700mah lipo battery

i just want to know how to make the rear tires turn anybody how knows how or has dine so please tell me this will make cornering easier and sharper.</font>