Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

favorite 50cc planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: favorite 50cc planes

BTerry, I was actually referring to that model. I did a review on it 2 years ago in Jan or Feb. It was a bit heavier and smaller but man that thing tumbled great! If you look at the 3D video I did it actually did a double pin wheel for me which was pretty cool to see.

I just don't consider it to be a snappy plane and thought he misspoke about that. If you go to the AW site and watch the 2 videos by Kyle you can see it responds great to all inputs and will do whatever you want. If I recall correctly the only issue it had was locking into harriers but once you found the sweet spot it was pretty stable. Not as stable as some of the newer designs for sure but a sweet spot could be found. Precision wise it was sleek and tracked well, snapped clean, and stopped when you wanted it to.

Can it be beat by some of the newer designs today? Sure I think it can but for someone to call it snappy is like someone calling all Caps snappy, just not true.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Ah, my mistake. I was thinking they just released a NEW Extra 260 but that was the 330 and 300LP. I agree with you. The in-flight characteristics of a plane, much like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of us want a plane that is very reactive, while others want a plane set up to require more "muscle" to get it to react. Much is to be gained from properly setting up a plane. Often I will set up my plane the way I like it, then let somebody else fly it just to get their input, and combine the overall impressions into my final setup. FWIW I don't consider a plane to be completely sorted out until I have at least 25 - 50 flights on it and I make small tweaks along the way.

Like I said, in terms of overall quality the Aeroworks planes are top-quality all the way.

You are exactly correct about Caps. My .40 size Great Planes Cap 21 that I built back in '88 or so was a wicked snapper, eventually burying itself in a high-speed snap/spin from level flight (That wasn't an immelman!). Later on, our first gasser was a 40cc Cap 232 from a modified Midwest kit (Mike McConville design). It is still the sweetest flying plane, completely the opposite of "touchy".

I sure wish I could fly more. I used to be able to fly very several days a week, but last year my wife started working opposite my schedule. She works evenings and all day Saturday, and I get to babysit. They boys aren't quite old enough to spend all day at the flying field, and now soccer/tennis/basketball/scouts are starting up. Life gets in the way. Considering the economy I am just grateful she A) has a job and B) our kids don't need daycare. Making 500 flights a year can wait.

Lots of fun planes out there to be sure! Gillotti, if you come back please post pics of your plane!

**edit** I forgot to mention that 50cc Extra 260 is very similar to their 42% Extra 260. That is one of the nicest flying 150cc ARFs on the market. IMAC, 3D, whatever. It does it all.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

No worries! I agree, if you really want a plane to fly well its often going to take upwards of 40 or 50 flights to get it really close, often many more to get perfect. Then you go do something like switch to a 3 blade prop and you have to almost start all over. The outcome is def. worth it though!

Thats exactly why we have a dog and a cat haha.. nah nothing wrong with kids at all, love them! To be working right now is a good thing. Some things are more important.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
dp extra350

Jake,

I just finished building a CARF Yak 55 2.1m, and I would recommend it to anybody looking! Had its maiden flight last weekend here in COLD Wash. St. Flys like a dream with the DA-50R. I previously was flying a Dave Patrick 330L with the same motor, This new bird flies MUCH better and handles perfectly!
See my proflie for pic.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Gillotti

hey guys, i'm looking to buy a 50cc size plane. my top three choices are aeroworks, dietrich and wild hare. was wondering if you could point me in the best direction.
I have a Wild Hare Sukhoi with a Taurus 52 that I keep as my kind of "beater" plane. It is a very honest flyer that has 60 plus flights on it with little drama.
I think that any of the airframes mentioned serve the purpose well. The big thing is to put a ton of effort into a proper equipment installation and make sure that the airplane balances properly and that the engine is properly baffeled for cooling. After that inspect it before going to the field and don't feed it dirt.
Good luck on whatever you choose.