When do you re-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When do you re-ring?

I run them until they croak.

Engines that I love (like my Super Tigre .90, my Super Tigre .45 and my Team Associated .15) will continue to live and breathe. I have extra sleaves, bearings, rings, pistons, and other assorted parts.

These engines I will have the rest of my life. I will run them in the future, regardless of any "Motor Laws," like mentioned in Rush's Red Barchetta
Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Sport, That is the axial play of the ring you talk about. The dimensional wear I talked about is the radial wear. You can either measure it by ring end gap measurements by placing the ring in a part of the bore that does not wear, OR you can measure the ring cross section directly. For the latter measurement you need to know the dimensions of the ring when it was new (very often not known)

OK, but I don't understand how that wear is hard on the lands, and come to think about it the land gap wear is mostly from the pistion lands deforming, not from ring wear. Ahh, perhaps because sloppy ring fit causes them to bend up and down in the gap. But are you talking about this wearing the land top and bottom width, or the bottom diameter?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

I will run them in the future, regardless of any "Motor Laws," like mentioned in Rush's Red Barchetta
Yes, those Barchetta's should give the future air cars a run for the money!

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/

Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the ring wears down it's outer diameter, the inner diameter moves away from the piston centerline. The ring is stationary relative to the cylinder wall, but the piston rocks in the bore, so the bottom ring land wears where it is in contact with the ring. If you wait too long with replacing the ring, the bottom ring land will show a conical wear pattern that does not fit the new ring any more.
You can dress the ring land in a lathe if you have the proper tools, but that needs removal of the sweat fit locator pin.
ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Sport, That is the axial play of the ring you talk about. The dimensional wear I talked about is the radial wear. You can either measure it by ring end gap measurements by placing the ring in apart of the bore that does not wear, OR you can measure the ring cross section directly. For the latter measurement you need to know the dimensions of the ring when it was new (very often not known)

OK, but I don't understand how that wear is hard on the lands, and come to think about it the land gap wear is mostly from the pistion lands deforming, not from ring wear. Ahh, perhaps because sloppy ring fit causes them to bend up and down in the gap. But are you talking about this wearing the land top and bottom width, or the bottom diameter?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

you wait too long with replacing the ring, the bottom ring land will show a conical wear pattern that does not fit the new ring any more.
Which gets right back to my point. You should be able to measure this with a feeler gage. If so what should this gap between the ring and piston land be?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zero! (if you measure the taper on the bottom land)
the top land should have some play though.</p>