Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread

Thanks Moggy! I was going back and forth as to whether to make the second Hurri set up for the same exhaust. My oldest son convinced me. I can always put a dummy exhaust in the opening if I end up using a different setup for the second bird. I have to say I'm tempted to shoot Kelvin at Keleo Creations a note to see if he would be willing to make me a second one..maybe for a DL 55?
First things first... got to keep up some momentum. I will need to install the tailwheel soon so I need to decide if I'm going to go for a sport scale and upgrade later if I can find or make one. That access hatch at the back will certainly help in working on the tailwheel setup.
Sam
Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 PM
DaddySam

I found an incredible web site that is detailing the ground-up restoration of a Hurricane recovered from Russia. The restoration is taking place north of Seattle, in my state of Washington. Some really excellent details I have not seen before.
[link=http://www.jneaircraftrestoration.com/AM274.html]Restoration of Hawker Hurricane AM 274[/link]
Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man!! What a gold mine of info. Great site. Book marked for future reference. I'm only 2/3 through it but this is definately is must have for detailing.
Edwin
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Moggy

There is lots of good information on Roy's website for landing his Huri. I know I'm getting a little ahead of the project Sam, but I can't wait to see video of the maiden. No three points, you have to fly her to the ground on the mains under power. Chaulks away!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
DaddySam

I've read Roy's tips too Pete. I've tried to really pay attention to anybody who has had some experience landing the Hurricane, and with all the negative experiences I am a bit worried. I have to believe that if I can get these birds light and have enough elevator throw with expo, I'll be alright. I am still waiting on the balsa but making progress on the second fuse. I have been thinking more and more about the tail feathers and keeping the plane light. I have been looking at Brian Taylor's Hurricane plans and think I will try to adapt his plans for the tail feathers to Roy's fuse. The BT plans show a fin and stab that have the leading edge sheeted and the ribs built around a core, with an external result more closely resemblling the full scale Hurricane. I think that with a good strong spar and the BT type of construction, the tail feathers could be lighter, which we know on this plane is real good!
Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38522.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	1345083  
Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Sam, "they" are both looking real good, did you pick retracts yet? I think I will go with Sierra and I already have a tail wheel assembly....nice but I dont think the scale is right.
Keep them posts coming. Happy New Year
Scalenutz
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
DaddySam

Thanks Scalenutz. I have a set of retracts from Shindin Machine that I'll use. When I was trying to source a set I asked Lenny, who I had bought some Spitfire retracts from, if he would make some for the Hurri. I emailed Roy and got the retraction angles and sent Lenny the plans and pictures of the full scale struts, and he did the rest. I am hoping that the bearers would fit both the Shindin and the Sierra. I don't know yet if I'll outfit the second plane with retracts and a motor or just keep it as a spare airframe. I do have a tailwheel I got from Neville, who had a Vailly Hurricane, but I'm not sure what brand it is. I like it and am trying to source another. I am also thinking about making a music wire tailwheel and then dressing it up with either balsa or styrene. Low weight is a must!
Sam
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
scalenutz

Sam dont forget to post some pictures of those retracts, I have heard of Shindin but never seen any examples. Never to early to think about your aircrew, I got mine made in the UK by Scale Aircrew. Perfect size and great detail, you order what you want...I went with a Sgt from the RAFVR.

Name:	Us54490.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1346320  
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
DaddySam

I've tried to make the H stab per Roy's design but this is my first experience with building vertically without tabs on the ribs, and it was less than perfect. I cut another set of ribs and did it again, and it turned out better. The trailing edge of the stab, 1/2" thick balsa seems a bit much. So I am going to try the alternate method that BT uses. I enlarged BT's stab plans to the same scale as this Hurricane, but am using Roy's plans as the planform. I've cut the cores and am making ribs now. I've made the half-ribs 1/4" longer at the back to make up for the 1/4" balsa trailing edge I intend to use. Once I get the rib locations laid out I'll cut lightening holes in the core sheet. I'll probably make the fin and rudder the same way. It looks like it will be easier to create the trim tabs from that method. Hopefully I'll post some pix later today or tomorrow. I have the RAF pilot figure "Keith" from 21 century. I'll take some close up pix of the gear later too.
Happy New Year!

Sam
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
scalenutz

Sam, I would like to see that "mod" please do post some pictures. After some head scratchin the method I settled on was to build verticle by laying the aft spar down and marking the center line and then the rib positions. I marked a center line on each rib and then glued the rib onto the spar standing up and using a square to keep it all going the right direction, the center line on the rib helps when you put the leading edge on and to get it all on a center line of the aft spar. The ribs are smaller than the aft spar but once all my ribs were on I added the other bits and it all came together straight, some sanding to blend it all and you have a stab thats strong, very strong!!, same with the tail fin....
The blue box figure of Sqn Leader keith is perfect, I tried to get one and even tried ebay.....no luck, congrats!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
DaddySam

Okay, here are some pix of the stab mod, along with some pix of the original stab, and some comparing BT's enlarged 1.31 times, to Roys.

Name:	ca82490.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1349911   Click image for larger version

Name:	ni23416.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1349912   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot46766.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1349913   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm28432.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1349914   Click image for larger version

Name:	zk68404.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1349915   Click image for larger version

Name:	zq96851.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1349916   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac62407.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1349917   Click image for larger version

Name:	ml38055.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1349918  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ts21740.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1349919   Click image for larger version

Name:	rd33554.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1349920   Click image for larger version

Name:	in63765.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1349921   Click image for larger version

Name:	fp67046.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1349922  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM
DaddySam

I'll try to get the rest posted later.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
DaddySam

Here's one half of one of the cores. It feels much lighter than the standard build method, but I'll have to weigh them to know. I need to cut the slots for the hinges and then attach the bottom (or is it top) ribs, then proceed.
Sam

Name:	rp42687.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	1350519   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx76401.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	1350520   Click image for larger version

Name:	gl18972.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	1350521  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Moggy

Nice Poody Tat LOL don't let him put his paw on the scale.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
DaddySam

That would be our new kitten, Sergeant Bigglesworth! Very curious and very friendly!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
jmohn

Looks great! The problem I have with mine is trying to rotate the gear doors when the gear extends. Make sure you look into this before you get the wing finished as it's a hard problems to solve. I have tried springs and blocks, but think the best solution will be some type of linkage like the real one has.

Name:	Ge95836.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1350576  
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
DaddySam

I know that this issue will come up, and can be solved with Sierra retracts that rotate slightly as they retract. The retracts I have do not rotate, so when I get to the wing I will have to look into alternate methods of tackling this. I'd like to hear from anybody who has done this.
Sam
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

I will try to post some pics of my Vailly Hurricane flying with G38. I covered the back part of fuse with supercoverite and glassed the front section and tail (non open framework) and glassed the wing. Light ..Light...Light.......thats the key.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Moggy

Does BT's Hurri have the same problem with the gear? Might be worth the investment into the Sierra gear than have to pull your hair out figuring out the geometry.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Moggy

Jmohn

Is that Bob Tuck flying that Huri? Beautiful!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

I have the rotating Sierra gear in my Vailly Hurricane and they are very nice and very sturdy.

-Ed B.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
jmohn

Yeah it's the KMP Tuck scheme Hurricane. A lot less work than yours, but not as nice

I would look into the Sierra gear as the mechanism is going to be tough. It looks like the real one used some ball joints and control arms to move the gear doors when opened/closed.

Mine is great, but landings with full flaps are not fun. It really floats bad so I just don't use the flaps since it slows down nicely without them. A freind has the same one you are building and it's awsome! It also has the same trouble landing so it must be something to do with the wing since it's so thick. Just practice with the flaps up high before you try and land and use a lot of expo on the elevator while landing with the flaps deployed. I am getting better, but still don't use them unless it's dead calm.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
DaddySam

ORIGINAL: Rvander

I have built 2 Vailly Hurricanes over the years... the first was heavy....used a G62...but I learned..........and the second one I am flying now...well its a joy to fly!!!!!!! I replaced using the hardwood stringers all the way around and opted for balsa with every 4th stringer hardwood....and also the tail......planked and glassed but with 1/16 balsa. The trick is to make it light!!!!! Mine weighs in at 22lbs and flies with a standard G38! Yup thats right....G38. And landings....well lots have been said about flaps and elevator...etc..but..I have nearly 75% flap...yup more like air brakes...but it lands like a feather! Painted with latex......and shindin retracts......I love it! Yes, probably not a top gun scale.....but it flies great.
Since you're the first I've heard of that is using Lenny's retracts on the Hurricane can you let me (us) know how they are working? Especially interested in whether the doors/wheels lay flat when retracted and look okay when extended. Pictures are always appreciated!
Sam
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

22lbs is really light for the Vailly Hurricane. That's the lowest weight I've heard of. I'd like to know if you did anything special during the build to get it that light. Most are coming in around 30 lbs.

-Ed B.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
jmohn

The problem I had is when the gear were extended they didn't straighten out and acted like huge speed breaks. The nose dropped like a rock and it was crazy hard to control the pitch. Once I got them working it helped, but it was still tough to land with flaps deployed.

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.