Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

This may go against the grain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: This may go against the grain...

ORIGINAL: whipnet

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I hwve also seen some pretty loud brushless sytems also. Those 70, 80, 90mph brushless cars and trucks are far from being quiet.
Correct, my Tekin powered, all metal geared Savage is far from quiet.

same with my BL all metal geared Jammin .5 sucker is almost as loud as my nitro MT2. you can hear it from over 300 feet away easily
its just the sound of metal clanging together instead of a ton of explosions in an engine
Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Operatorint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I sparked up an age old argument.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: head_hunter

And soooo many people own one right? They price themselfs out of the average RCers league.
How is that even a response to my argument? If anything, you're supporting my points. Fewer people own the vehicles; the company sells very few replacement parts, yet somehow they're still a thriving business. How exactly is that possible if profit in the R/C world is based on parts?

Also, you can buy an MBX6T kit for the same price as a Savage XL.

Here's an experiment you can do at home. Call your LHS and ask them what they make more money on cars or parts?
We're not talking about hobby shops here; we're referring to the manufacturers. I don't think HPI cares about how many 3rd party aftermarket parts people buy to bolt onto their Savages.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
warheadforever

Hey cool it down guys, their is no need for the way you two are talkin', now get back on-topic!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: whipnet

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I hwve also seen some pretty loud brushless sytems also. Those 70, 80, 90mph brushless cars and trucks are far from being quiet.
Correct, my Tekin powered, all metal geared Savage is far from quiet.

same with my BL all metal geared Jammin .5 sucker is almost as loud as my nitro MT2. you can hear it from over 300 feet away easily
its just the sound of metal clanging together instead of a ton of explosions in an engine
LOL in my Genesis truck the gears are as loud as the engine. LOL
Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
head_hunter

A kit vs. Rtr? That's how they stay in business. And HPI/hot bodies only sell stock savage parts right? I agree with the noise being a selling factor ' and I like mine loud as hell. I am just saying there is more to the engineering process than just noise level.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
The Pope NJ

That can was an experment.  I know Crash and trust me he won't be bashing with it.

Electric and nitro will always have a place in this hobby as they always have.  They both serve a purpose and most people do both.  I run electric in the winter and nitro in the summer.

I for one can't wait to see where the hobby goes in the next few years with the advances in electric.  It wasn't that long ago that a 1/8 scale truck that could even come close to a nitro didn't exsist.  Brushless and lipo have made that possible and the ESC's are still coming around to being able to handle the demands of it.

As far as your neighbors go moderation is key.  Run it every once in a while for short periods of time and I am sure no one will have a problem.  Spend all day everyday doing it and you will have angry neighbors. 
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have designed many silencers, they are very small like the size of a travel shave cream can or tiny body spray can. That system Crash used was what he had laying around and it did work. I will be making another silencer and will show pictures when I'm done, it's maybe 1 1/4" X 3 and fits nicely under the body. Small and very effective.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
rcrick10
My Feedback: (1)

just get a louder pipe. your neighbors will move away and there you go problem solved
Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a thought. My next door neighbours house is only about three feet from the side walk and sometimes I forget that, and drag race down the sidewalk. I never really though about it.... But at the same time she never complained at all. We get along good, I shovel her sidewalk in the winter sometimes.. BUT theres a guy around the corner and like 4 houses down that gets Pissed right off when he hears the trucks. So the moral of the story is you can't please everyone all the time, So just have respect for who matters... The ones next store they'll probably come out to watch anyway. And yeah, a lawnmower is louder than a savage.

KID EVIL!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
lightning73

right!!!!!</p>
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: KID_EVIL!

And yeah, a lawnmower is louder than a savage.
Damn, you guys must have some killer lawn mowers up in Canada. 50hp glasspack models or something? hee-hee My Craftsman is smooth and mellow.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

My kid runs his nitro street car on our street. I can't hear it from inside the house.

Our street is lined with houses. We are good and friendly with all. Never a complaint.

Steve
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
The Pope NJ

10 bucks says that Robin's lawnmower is louder than that F16 mentioned earlier. LMAO

Loud Pipes save lives.</p>
Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
ahawk65

Brought the pictures over here:

Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
lightning73

no offense but unfortunately we have already seen them...lol
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM
ahawk65

I hadn't when I first saw the thread, and I didn't really want to click another link. Just tryin' to help. =)
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like you need to chew away half the side of the truck body to fit that crack pipe on there anyway. Doesn't it look like something that homeless guy was smokeing out of the other day??

KID EVIL!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Born_to_Tinker

Dudes that was such a funny read.  That made my day looking at that white trash excuse for a silencer.  If I had that on my truck it would drive away all by itself and hide.  Probably around Turn #3 at the RC park it would get raped..

Really that was the best you could come up with.  F#@# that .... get a louder pipe and screw your neighbors.  Maybe you will get some that are into NITRO R/C. 

"Our street is lined with houses. We are good and friendly with all. Never a complaint. "  Well maybe it is time you had one.  Live large, Live Loud, Show them who is the big dog on the street!  

Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

There is nothing wrong with being respectful to your neighbors.

Im running the stock pipe on my savage with my Axial .28 and my goodness do that thing scream. Its the loudest Nitro r/c I have owned by far. I think its louder than a small block nitro with nothing but a header on it seriously.

Anyways, it is a little loud, especially if your neighbors happen to have their windows open. However, my 1/8 buggy pipes always seemed to be much quieter, plus they point out the side which doesent echo it off the ground. I havent tried one on my savage, but that may be a thought if you are running the stock pipe. It wont quiet it down a lot, but it will make a difference.

Eric
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 AM
black mamba

Ditch the nitro Savage and get yourself a Savage Flux (or Traxxas BL Maxx or BL Revo). They're quiet and much, much faster than their nitro counterparts. Your neighbors will thank you because nitro engines are quite annoying to those that don't know anything about RC.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: black mamba

Ditch the nitro Savage and get yourself a Savage Flux (or Traxxas BL Maxx or BL Revo). They're quiet and much, much faster than their nitro counterparts. Your neighbors will thank you because nitro engines are quite annoying to those that don't know anything about RC.
I was going to mention this as well (I converted mine to BL) but the nitro guys get upset when it's mentioned how BL can solve your problems all the time.