Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

spektrum boat resever

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

spektrum boat resever

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM
tropheus29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spektrum boat resever

I will never buy another Spektrum product again. Hell no on running anything Spektrum in anything close to water....even their "Marine" receiver. I run a Futaba 3pk 2.4 FASST and will not run anything else.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM
gettnbetter

ORIGINAL: tropheus29

I will never buy another Spektrum product again. Hell no on running anything Spektrum in anything close to water....even their ''Marine'' receiver. I run a Futaba 3pk 2.4 FASST and will not run anything else.
Why?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Jon DesJardins

ORIGINAL: gettnbetter

ORIGINAL: tropheus29

I will never buy another Spektrum product again. Hell no on running anything Spektrum in anything close to water....even their ''Marine'' receiver. I run a Futaba 3pk 2.4 FASST and will not run anything else.
Why?
If I took a crazy guess it would be a failure such as many have experienced with Spektrum to date...

But that would be just a crazy guess [:-]
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 AM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: gettnbetter

ORIGINAL: danielplace

There must be a reason why Futaba is the favorite by a looooong shot, higher percentage than all other radio's combined.

I have no idea why, Futaba still ships their transmitters with trickle chargers and 500-700mah NiCd packs, I mean... Cmon folks, this is 2010.
They likely do that to keep costs down. Better anyhow as it is wasted money anyhow we throw the pack away and install a LiPo and it doesn't need charging for two to three months(besides 1/3 the weight) being used all day every Sunday then a whopping 20 minutes on a purpose built charger that we all own for charging the receiver packs properly. Curious what does Spectrum have for a pack that it is so superior? What's the big hurry to get your transmitter or receiver pack charged, especially since they last all day ?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Jon DesJardins

Spektrum includes AA batteries with a wall charger :shrug: Not sure that's a whole lot better and that was with my radio for the planes, I don't know if they even do that with the surface radios, I don't think those come with anything at all!

I still swear by my FAAST system 2.4 3PK and the rechargeable backs that come with it are just fine being charged by the wall charger or a hyperion peak charger direct through the controller port.
Awesome
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: amax

I have the DX2 and a DX2.0 on some of my sons boats, I bought the DX3 for the third channel option and the got the DX3,0 when it came out. Most people get the 3 instead of the 2 because They have the Speed Bug to and want to add the 3rd channel mixture, some do. some don't.

If people are loosing boats due to signal lost and the boat just goes across the pond then their Not Reading the Instruction,,LOL,, and Binding the TX and RX Without setting the Fail Safe Properly. You Must set the Steering and throttle where you want them to go when it kicks in,, While you are Binding. I set my steering to turn right and drop to 1\4 throttle, so when I go to far away it drops off full plain and turns around and comes back into range. You can't blame the manufacturer for operator error.
Yea exactly the failsafe was set and is exactly what straightened the 60mph boats out and drove them both up the bank. This lake isn't huge and when your coming around 3 headin' for 4 and the rudder goes straight you are ON the bank CRASHED. Makes me mad all over again just thinkin' about it. I almost had to take out the hobby store employee that insisted these were the best thing going and would work perfectly in my boat. You had better believe they changed their set in gold policy of NO RETURNS that day. Don't think they had much choice. Lucky I didn't ask them to pay for the damage.

Turned right around and purchased a all new Futaba system that is still working to this day.

I do pray that Spectrums new systems do work well(and they just might)on the water for everyboaters sake and safety. I will never let them have another dime of my money to be a test dummy. Futaba will forever be my radio of choice.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
amax

Well I'm sorry to hear of Anybody Loosing a boat, all I can Say is it never happened to me or anybody I've seen using one at races I'v attended. But no matter what I say Y"all are gonna have your Spektrum Bash Fest,,,LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Jon DesJardins

ORIGINAL: amax

Well I'm sorry to hear of Anybody Loosing a boat, all I can Say is it never happened to me or anybody I've seen using one at races I'v attended. But no matter what I say Y''all are gonna have your Spektrum Bash Fest,,,LOL
ROFL,
Those of us that have ACTUAL experiences with spektrums lack of water abilities will forever bash them just as you say

so double ->

Enjoy your spektrum and I hope you don't have the issues lots of people have been put up against.
I still use my Dx6i for my planes so I am able to testify to the good and bad of spektrum, enjoy it for my planes but will never put one in a $1500 boat, that's or sure...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
danielplace

Hey if Spectrum got it worked out with this new system and marine receiver and quite honestly I think maybe they have that is great. If you want to purchase one that is your business. I wish everyone the best of luck whatever they are running because it is a bad feeling loosing control besides being dangerous as heck. Expensive too. With some good props fetching $75 these days it addds up it a hurry when you run 'em up the beach.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
tropheus29

Why??? So glad you asked. I lost an Aeromarine Thrunderbolt (Completely binned) after my Spektrum lost signal and the failsafe "Failed" at, oh say, 64 Mph (GPS'ed) up a friggn bank and into a tree. This happened right in front of me (less than 100 feet away) with fresh batteries and a charged Rx pack with a volt meter to show. I called them with a "what the hell" attitude and got a response along the lines of "yeah, we are showing this system does not work well on water, but we have a new Marine Receiver in the works."

That gave me a warm gooey feeling after the crash and made me want to run to the store to throw more money at them in my next build........I hope the sarcasm is coming across because I'm laying it on pretty strong. I only run boats and will never give them another cent.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Jon DesJardins

There you have it, enough proof to talk about how bad spektrum has been on the water for everyone?

Sorry to hear you had such a big loss [&o]
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM
danielplace

A total loss of control can happen easy enough no matter what your running. It is just crazy when everything you've done is 100% and it is the radio design itself letting you down. Redundant 3rd channel transmitter controlled ignition kill failsafes and/or dual switches, dual batteries, and dual receivers(JR/Spectrum may not work with two receivers, Fasst can be bound to and operate as many receivers as you turn on simultaneously)with one receivers CH 2 for the throttle and the other receivers CH 1 setup for the steering are just a couple things to insure you investment is safe.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
goodcheesema

i run a DX2.0 in my boat.  havent had a problem with it yet.  i have to see how it works  once i take it to the lake.  im sort of getting sick of this tiny pond.  </p>