Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

85"KMP (might have been and EF) Extra Build and fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

85"KMP (might have been and EF) Extra Build and fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 85"KMP (might have been and EF) Extra Build and fly

Center of gravity came out in the 3/4 wing tube area with batteries located as shown below. If I move one batter back to the unused rudder tray it [EDIT-the CG] will be on the rear of the wing tube
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78974.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	451738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38712.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	451739  
Old 04-26-2006, 11:56 PM

Also as shown in photo above I made a tray extension for the fuel tank so that it would be mounted on the CG and not allow the CG to change as fuel is burned off. Weight penalty .25 oz Also my custom battery tray came in at 1 1/2 oz but is makes lots of battery combinations available to play with the W&B.

Takeoff weight with full fuel is 17 1/4 lbs. Will post a maiden report once completed.

Controls are on Triple rates. 3D Rate is at 100%ATV and looks like about 45 deg wings and elevator and around 50 degrees on rudder. Rudder authority should be great on this one with Hitec 5955 on 6v and direct linkage. Speed is quick. Medium rate is at 60% all surfaces and low rate is 35% wings and elevator and 45% rudder.

RDB
Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Am having a great time with this plane after the EXTRA diet.

The Extra diet consists of;

Switched from Hobbico NIMH 2000 NIMH to 1200 NIMH.
The 2000 were way overkill. After 8-10min flights they were
still ready for another 8 more.

Saving 4 oz for 2 batteries

Carbon fiber wing tube

Savings 3.75oz

Carbon tail tube

Savings 1.3 oz

Carbon landing gear
Not much savings but it
is so nice not to be bending them
back after each landing

Savings 1.7 oz

Removed wheel pants
they were being beat up anyway

Savings 3.5 oz

Total ounces saved 14.25 oz

The new empty weight is 16 lb 1 1/4 ounce. With a full load of fuel it becomes 16 lb 14 oz. The DA is breaking in very well after 3 gal of fuel. With the NX 22-8 prop it just levitates off of the ground at less than 1/4 throttle. I actually climbed out for a large graceful loop today at 1/4 throttle.

After moving one large battery off of the engine box to just forward of the wing spar then back to the receiver tray (just forward of the rudder tray) it still needs a touch of down on inverted but oh so slim. My biggest challenge is to get it to just stop flying on the landing approach.

I thought that the plane flew well at 16 lb 15.5 oz and it did. But now it will hover at about 4 clicks of throttle. For real, 10 minutes of aerobatics with some 3D and I still have a half of a fat 16 oz load f fuel. The reason, less throttle to fly less weight.

Kudos to the airplane design and designer. Once all of the trimming is done it is an easy bird to fly. It is so neat to have a bird that will take off and climb out on 1/4 throttle and get agressive on
1/2 + throttle.

Name:	Jh15589.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	475944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64611.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	475945  
Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM

Getting there is half of the battle

Name:	Rp42757.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	475950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98970.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	475951  
Old 11-21-2006, 12:55 PM
MadDog35
My Feedback: (77)

rdb, I orderd those carbon fiber tubes and recieved them in like 3 days. Very happy with the whole deal. Only problem is the stabilizer tube is still very loose, any suggestions on stoping it from wobbling. I thinking of wrapping it with something or maybe making some kind of hold downs I can mount under the stab?

Thanks and nice talking to you last week.
Mike.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Hey Mike,

Good question what material to use for a shim. I used slivers of thin stainless steel to shim mine but it did not last more than 15 flights and was loose again. When I went to CF it has stayed tight since.

I hope that someone can chime in but I am not sure what material to use with the CF as I don't know about compatibilty of tape glues etc on the CF.

Maybe if no one chimes in you might start your own thread to ask the question, or better yet first do a RCU search on CF and loose tube or similar worded ideas and see if you can find it in an older thread.

Richard
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

Bonden permanently and problem solve. I bonde my horizontals and never a problem.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I saw these hanging in a hobby shop in Kent, Washington - they are sold out of any shop in Graham, Washington, Valley View or something.

from what I saw, I doubt EF would ever consider them, much less reject them.

They looked not very well put together and seemed heavy (at least the one I lifted). Parts did not fit really well and covering looked not very well put together or uniform.

Who cares? At that price, it's a very nice entry point to 30%...

ORIGINAL: rdb127

The reason I named the thread like I did is because this bird was bought on EBAY and according to many posts on RCU was one of the few that never made it to Extreme Flight last year because they were rejected along with many more of the 87 inch Extreme Flight yaks by Extreme Flight RC. If true and judging by the vendor that sold these 85 inch xtras along with 85 inch Edges and 87 inch Yaks, then there were only about two dozen Extras offered and even less Edges which sold even quicker than any of them.

The covering appears to be genuine ultra coat (or the overseas version) and really looks good although not perfect and up to the very high standards of EF. I thought the covering looked good and all until I bought an EF Electric yak. Covering and laser cut airframe are true works of art on the little electric... so if that is his standard, I can understand why these guys were not accepted. The airframe is well built yet light. You have to be careful how you pick up the bird as its strength is designed for flight, not manhandling. Time will tell if this aftermarket bird holds up but I suspect it should.

One thing that really stands out on this bird is the huge control surfaces especially the ailerons and rudder. I have the high rates for all I can get and 80% Expo and I have never seen a plane roll quite like that before.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
MadDog35
My Feedback: (77)

So what you are saying is bond them with something like 30 min epoxy, make sure they are square and call it a day? This would stop the problem plus I do not take the stabalizer off to transport anyways. I am guessing I sould sand the cf tube well first and cut covering where the surfaces meet and then epoxy it up good?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Hey Mad Dog,

I didn't think of the epoxy. I am always thinking of taking apart for parts replacement.

Yarom,

You are right. They are not like what Extreme Flight had intended. I have the EF Electric Extra, been on the waiting list for 2 years on the EF Yak and know what the quality should be. I tried as hard as I could and tried again but could not see the imperfections when I was flying the plane. I have put it through the ringer with almost 30 flight hours on this airframe. That is a lot of snap rolls.

At 16 lbs and 4 ounces now (changed the batteries around was 16 lb 1 oz) you would change your mind when you saw it fly. I put on a little exhibition at our fun fly last Saturday...all the guys in the club though it was the best reject they have ever seen. KE spin as tight and vertical as you like, hovers at waaaayyyyy less than 1/2 throttle and pull out is like a big foamy. Waterfalls, great, I like recovering from inverted flat spin and flying it out on a KE at half throttle. Rolling circles as slow or fast as you like. But then again all GS planes do that. Right?

It is a testament to the man's design work, IMHO.

RDB
Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
maxun

yes epoxie, I got my 30% aircraft epoxie on the stab, that solve many issues. Have fun fly hard. Maxun
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Oh yeah,

I will update the thread when I get started on the next one of these Extras. It will have a G-62 lite and probably will weigh in closer to 17 lbs.

This is what I am getting ready for the next bird.

Zenoah G-62 Lite (they say 4.1 lbs)
NX 23-8 Prop
CF Wing and Tail Tube
Hitec HS 5645 wings and tail
Hitec 5955 Rudder
Abell Hobbies Muffler
HS-81 MG on throttle and choke
2-1200 NIMH-6v Flight
4.8 v 1650 on CH ignition
Stock Hardware
I don't like the soft aluminum gear on this plane and will likely go with CF. Will shop for a different style as I only saved about an ounce last time on the Graphtec 191 Colombo Anderson gear.

I will mount the rudder servo in the tail -like I did on my brother's plane with FPE 2.3 and bring the ignition battery off of the engine box and closer to the wing tube.

I will also save the spinner till last to see if I can get away with an aluminum one or not.

Save the wheel pants for the smithsonian. They won't last less you beef them up and ad the weight.

Should be a fun Xtra Extra.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

What I meant, is that the likelyhood of this being something designed by or for chris at EF is close to zero. Contruction methods, interlocking parts, structural integrity, lighting holes, finishing, and pretty much everything about this plane is not like anything any EF plane has, which for me means it is not related at all.

It might be just a knock-off that some Chinese shop tried to do based on something they saw...

In any case, if you want the EF Yak, it is now sold by UltraRC with somewhat different colors. Exactly the same planes with perhaps a few small improvements. There's a big thread on this going on right now.

That is unless, like the rest of us, you want to wait and see what Chris is coming up with for the holidays. There are very strong indications regarding two different 50cc models coming out any day now...

ORIGINAL: rdb127

Hey Mad Dog,

I didn't think of the epoxy. I am always thinking of taking apart for parts replacement.

Yarom,

You are right. They are not like what Extreme Flight had intended. I have the EF Electric Extra, been on the waiting list for 2 years on the EF Yak and know what the quality should be. I tried as hard as I could and tried again but could not see the imperfections when I was flying the plane. I have put it through the ringer with almost 30 flight hours on this airframe. That is a lot of snap rolls.

At 16 lbs and 4 ounces now (changed the batteries around was 16 lb 1 oz) you would change your mind when you saw it fly. I put on a little exhibition at our fun fly last Saturday...all the guys in the club though it was the best reject they have ever seen. KE spin as tight and vertical as you like, hovers at waaaayyyyy less than 1/2 throttle and pull out is like a big foamy. Waterfalls, great, I like recovering from inverted flat spin and flying it out on a KE at half throttle. Rolling circles as slow or fast as you like. But then again all GS planes do that. Right?

It is a testament to the man's design work, IMHO.

RDB
Old 11-22-2006, 03:22 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

rdb127,

Is the motor box on the Extra 'short' enough for the G62Lite? I'm thinking about this combo, but don't have the time, or skill to cutoff the motor box to fit the G62.

thanks

Dennis
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Hi Dennis,

I don't have the engine currently...its in the mail to get updated. On the last two of these the I cut 1 7/8 inch off of the box to fit the DA and FPE engines. I will see the plane I just bought this weekend as it was delivered to the other side of the state to my brother's house. My guess is that the firewall will need to be cut.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Well after two full seasons and lots of great times this plane has gone to a new owner.

Below pics are the day before delivery. As a first time gasser goes the plane more than exceeded my grandest expetations.

The new owner put in his receiver and reports new happiness with the 330L.

RDB

Name:	Vt56588.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	844833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71480.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	844834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75297.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	844835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81770.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	844836  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
maxun

I still have my 330L and I tell you I will not sell this puppy until is gone, in the ground. Over 280 fly's and still super strong. 3D is a blasst.
Is my best flying plane, I got the KMP edge 540 ready with a DL50 , just add gas and go but I was in vacation in Argentina and did not have time to fly. Will se how it does, the Yak will be next.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM

I bought a spare of the same sceme just in case I ever duffed it. I have at least 10 projects before I get to it but will fly it again. It was like the Energizer Rabbit. Just kept going and going and going.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:20 AM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 85

Long time since there's been any activity on this thread! I've been out of the flying game for over a year and just starting back. I've finished this Extra with a Moki 2.10 and my dry weight is 14lbs and 5 oz. Still breaking the Moki in ( 3-4 minute runs with complete cool down periods in between. Next friday should be its maiden. I also intend to add a backup battery....4.8v 2400MAH Nicad.
Good flying to everyone
Mike