Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Feeling retro! Anyone for a hollowed log?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Feeling retro! Anyone for a hollowed log?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Feeling retro! Anyone for a hollowed log?

I had a bunch of those Scientific 1/2A models over the years.

My first model was an Enterprise "Super Knockout" with a Cub .099. You could put a great (heavy) finish on those "Log" type models but they were lucky if they got into the air.

Another group of super hollow log models were made by Monarch. They made a P-40, Spitfire and P-51 Mustang that were exceptionally well done but a little heavy. The K&B Allyn .09 inline twin was a good choice because the engine room was sized for an .049 but the .09 would slip right in there. The compact OK Cub .099 would also fit into most 1/2A engine spaces.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this again. For some reason, a couple replies on this and other posts didn't go through. If at first,....etc.

The comments on the glue tubes with screweyes brings back some messy memories of twisting the neck of the tube off the old LePages cement and ruining clothes and/or furniture. Also, in an old 1959 or 60 era Ambroid HO railroad car kit I just finished, there was a beautifully politically incorrect LEAD tube of Ambroid, the kind that required a straight pin to puncture the tip. Still seems good after over 40 years.

The mention of the Monrach line kind of makes me want to get my Monarch 1/2A Vitamin in my to-do list. Maybe I should use that politically incorrect lead tube of Ambroid to build the kit to go with what seems to be a politically incorrect chunk of asbestos gasket material to be used for a cowl. would this get me in trouble with some group or agency? Plane should go well with one of my Cubs, like an 049 A or B, or maybe one of my 074s or 099s.

Not a log, but just this morning I finally recieved my AJ Firebaby II from A J Classics. A few differences from the couple I had about 1950, like plastic parts, no latex balloon tank, and the non-die cut wing wasn't steamed to an airfoil, and a price quite a bit higher than the original $1.98, and so. Wish I could have gotten to an LHS that closed down last fall. Might have been able to buy an original that was hanging there probably from their opening around 1965.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
50+AirYears

Just to show Scientific wasn't the only log company, here's a couple pics of another log. I just put three coats of Aerogloss clear on the insides. Figure I'll finish it in Diana Cream and black. Couple parts were missing, but for $5, so what. The Cub .074 in one of the pictures is around 50 years old. Has an original attachable tank.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25538.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	673345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97043.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	673346  
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Dan Vincent

If you put a nice finish on that Vitamin the Cub .074 may not get it off the ground.

Here's a picture of a radial mount for a Cub .099 or better yet, use a Cox TD .09.

Name:	Sq48436.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	673348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35549.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	673349  
Old 04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
50+AirYears

To fit anything much wider, like that .099 mount, I'd have to make a firewall a lot larger than what might have come with the kit, probablyl close to 1/8" all aroundthe nose. I have a couple of those mounts (one on my first engine, a 1949 Cub .099, which I still have) and 3 of those .099s. In fact, I reallylearned to fly cl withthat .099 on an old Enterprise profile P-51.

One of my Cub .074s did have enough power to fly a 1/2A fledgling with a 2 channel Cox radio, although not as well as a later Black Widow .049.

I am actually surprised at how light the components are. B grain balsa on the fuse, and some pretty light C grain on the wing, and the fuse hollowed out thinner and further back than what I remember Scientific doing.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oddly enough, I don't think I built any of the logs back in the day. I did, a couple of years ago, get hold of a DMECO Infantwagon kit. It has a log fuselage, which I used as a form to mold a fuselage out of two laminations of 1/32 sheet. It was my first attempt at molding and I did three or four bad ones before I got it right. Copied the kit, built the airplane, then resold the kit at a profit.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM
50+AirYears

Got most of the Vitamin together over the weekend. Have to make up a firewall, since that was missing. Also have to make up an LG mounting block. Made one up out of balsa, but in retrospcect, might not be strong enough to hold the sheet metal screw that holds the aluminum gear in place. Going to have to use some Bass. I've covered most of the wood with a thinned coat of Hobbico balsa putty. Smooth and almost no weight gain, thanks to a generous application of elbow grease and sandpaper. After the firewall is made up, one or two well-sanded coats of Aero Gloss balsa fillercat, one of clear, and then the color. Think I'll try masking the rudder for the checkerboard effect shown on the box.

Now, I'm having delusions about getting some 2X2 balsa, some Sig airfoiled 3 and 4 inch balsa for wings, and makling some logs of my own.

Musciano is a genius.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
qwerty3

For what it's worth, Mr. Musciano has published a number of books, and as of last fall (2006) was working on another. A search of my local library system brought up 6 different titles; and I believe there are more than that in existence. Not all of his books are on model airplanes, or on airplanes at, for that matter.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
50+AirYears

I remember so many designs he had published in Air Trails and it's successors over the years, not just 1/2A logs, but including Scale control liners up to maybe .60 size, several boats including a two part article that had an RC New York ferry boat in one issue, then a dock for it in the next, and I still have the issue, and an attempt to blow up the plans from the magazine article, a Roll-on railroad ferry that incorporated 3 decks of HO track, and even a .60 sized RC Navion that was published in MAN. This from a guy who tried to principally design simple models that could be built on a small dining room table with the most basic tools. And then there was an LCM with RC lowerable ramp and an RC Sherman tank.

The man definitely deserves his place in the AMA Hall of Fame. Not many designers have been as prolific or productive over as many years.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always liked the "Baby Ace" he published in Mechanix Illustrated...mid nineteen fifties.

George
Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
50+AirYears

Well, the Vitamin now has one well sanded coat of thinned Hobbico Flitelite filler, one coat of Aero Gloss balsa fillercoat in the process of being sanded out. After the sanding, add firewall, hinge in the elevator, add leadout guide, make up a Basswood LG mount, glue on the rudder, single coat of Aero Gloss clear, then the color, followed by a final coat of clear. Add bellcrank, engine, leadouts, pushrod, and that infamous asbestos paper cowl. I will probably also rig up a windshield. Maybe I can carve up a Snoopy/Red Baron pilot bust.

Not bad progress for maybe an hour or so a day.

Logs rule, ARFs drool!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
build light

Enterprise had a hollow log called the "Razzle Dazzle". Has a 16" span and till recently was available from Penn Valley Hobbies. It is still on their site but says "sold out" Shows a picture of the box top.
I have the build instructions from this model but do not know who designed it nor does it show any parts full size...

While I am thinking of it, does anyone have a Scientific Zig Zag? I wish to have a scan of the fin and rudder as it was quite unique and I would like to adapt this to another plane.

Robert
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
50+AirYears

Remembered I have a couple pieces of that Sig airfoiled stock, so I went out and spent a few bucks on a 2 x 3 x 12 block that should give me two free-lance Logs.

Logs don't have to be small .049 jobs either. I have an article from a 1947 Air Age showing a log that used an ignition .29.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM
50+AirYears

Here's the Vitamin 1/2A about ready for flight. That Cub .074 looks kind of large, but the plane balances at the front lead-out. Two applications of Hobbico Light Flite filler, two coats of Aero-Gloss Balsa Fillercoat, one of A-G clear, two of Brodak Diana Cream, trimmed with single coat of Sig Gloss Black. Lots of sanding. Weighs 5.76 ounces on our lab scale.

Name:	Mk26831.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	686855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25112.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	686856   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28401.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	686857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67471.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	686858  
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Very retro.

Phil
Old 05-19-2007, 12:31 AM
build light

Very nice indeed! I am a sucker when it comes to two-tone finishes when one of the colors is cream or off white.

Thanks for sharing!

Robert
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Fix-it
My Feedback: (3)

Walt published a book titled "Building and Flying Scale Model Airplanes" that contains reduced size plans for some of his kits. The built up wing F-82 Twin Mustang is in there, a couple other models, and some FF or early R/C. It's a great book, but I don't know if it is still available. Check Amazon.

I built a couple logs as a kid, atteneded a NVCL Walt Musciano contest last year, and bought a Blackhawk Models SE-5 kit that I am building in my hotel rooms as I travel for work. Very relaxing to sit and carve / sand on the chunk of balsa after a day at work, but I wonder what the hotel maids think when they vacum up balsa dust and look at the assorted parts and pieces spread out on the coffee table in the hotel room.

Here is a link to Walts auto-biography- a facinating story about a man who loves model and modeling.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Musciano.pdf
Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
build light

Fix-it, You may have missed this thread!:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5403054/tm.htm

Please check it out!

Robert
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears
Logs don't have to be small .049 jobs either. I have an article from a 1947 Air Age showing a log that used an ignition .29.
Mine's bigger'n yours! "The Model Craftsman" Aug 1947...Walt Published a hollow log (actually two logs) Heinkel-112, powered by an O&R .60.

George
Old 06-14-2007, 03:03 AM
txaggie08

Hey lou, thanks for the link, I was looking for who made don's model

BTW:[link=http://www.clstunt.com/MAMA.JPG]This[/link] is named for my LHS owner , I was in there looking at the original one yesterday......