Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What was your first real RC car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 02:08 PM
carnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was your first real RC car?

Hello!
First car I had was a Frog. Back in 1983 (I think) Fixed it up (bearings, motor, etc..) and raced it in local races. Won my first race. Still have it someplace. I should dig it out. Running a Nitro buggy now.
JB )
Old 02-13-2003, 04:43 PM
RC,thatsme

my first was a grasshoper at the age of 9.bilt that kit kit my self. had problems though. istayed up all nite bilt the bugy and when i finshed i couldnt figure out why my steiring was locked to the left lol. i learned the next day how to reset the servos lol next was an origenal rc10 on my birth day. was funny my initials are rc was my 10 th dirthday. and iv been runnin rc10 eversence. well with the exception to my gs storm pro with trinity siro. lol
Old 02-14-2003, 06:16 PM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Great thread!

My first was a Fox, Mechanical SC, and that horrible single-shock front end. Lowered it with foamies and ran it onroad, won a B main or two with it.

Then moved on to a Losi JRX-2. Loved that thing, Novak ESC, Trinity motor, Futaba Sport 2CH TX. Yes I definitely classify as an old-schooler.

Also have a mint RC-10 gold tubber, minus the battery hold down. Gonna do it up one of these days with all modern gear and tear up some dirt with it.

Current ride is a RS4-2, built from a kit. Had a .21 rear exhaust in it, was faster than anything I ever drove before, but the fun was gone, so it's got an HPI Nitro star 15 SS on it now. 2 speed, carbon fiber upper deck, lots of little hopups. Fun car.

I also fly planes and have a couple helis I'm learning on. Been into RC for as long as I can remember. Great hobby.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:18 AM
PCDAWG

Mine was a 1978 Associated E car with a futaba box radio and whole mess of wires, diodes and switches. We used to spend MORE at Radio Shack than at the hobby shops in those days. ESC's were years aways....
Old 02-15-2003, 02:36 PM
imrcbob
My Feedback: (1)

Default MadBull

I bought a used Tamiya MadBull from a student about 5 years ago. Boy, did that thing take a lot of abuse. I would repair it on a picnic table at the park then drive it right off the table onto concrete and gravel. It jumped, rolled, flipped, crashed, and crashed, and crashed. It even climbed trees ( about 6 feet thanks to the huge angled bumper and truck tires), and no dog could catch it. I learned a lot about R/C from that "simple" machine. It's worn out now and sits on a shelf awaiting its chance of possible revival.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55425_9232.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	24643  
Old 02-17-2003, 12:52 AM
pkranger

My first car was a Mugen Bulldog. Unlike Matt Francis I could never get the thing to run all that well. My first car that I was competive with was the awesom Tamiya Fox with a Victor ESC. Oh yeah! Bring back memories....
Old 02-25-2003, 05:41 AM
jerniganrx7

yeah i had a good and reliable truck by tamiya the one and only midnight pumpkin i had it hopped up to handle the power of a black trinity racin motor that was back when i was crazy about miami vice and simon and simon. 87
Old 02-25-2003, 05:04 PM
ridethelightnin

My first RC car was a Team Associated RC 10 in 1986. Still have it and it needs a lot of work. I plan on upgrading it as much as I can with new motor and rebuild the shocks. I will put as much $$$ as it take to beat my friends Ofna MBX RTR. He talks so much trash about electric so it will be fun to beat him with one.

My new ride, Ofna Titan and lovin' it!!
Old 02-25-2003, 05:42 PM
powerhungry

Originally posted by packfan88
how can you rule out the tyco turbo hopper? that wa sthe first i remember but i soon got a falcon.I remember looking in a magazine....anyone rememe br the Lunchbox?
haha.. I just started fixin my brother's Turbo Hopper to send to him.. it was back in the late 80's or something that he bought this thing.. it was the first thing he bought with his first paycheck. Not in mint condition but it still runs.. and runs fast..

Old 02-26-2003, 07:17 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Soo funny hearing all the stories. I never had a REAL r/c until I was 30 years old. I bought a TMAXX a year ago, it was my first r/c, and now I own 5 the best being a 1/5th FG. Funny now that I can afford the best too, kinda nice finding r/c at 30 actually, because now I can buy almost anything I want!

Name:	58519_17532.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24644  
Old 02-26-2003, 08:39 AM
jerniganrx7

i'm 28 and i always wanted gas powered cars, ever since i heard about the kysosho gp cars which 15 or so years ago you rarely heard much about them here in the U.S. now it seems to be the rave now that other industries have caught on to the nitro car explosion i as well am fortunate enough to own a t-maxx, mini, and a kyo voner along with a pile of other radio shack cars that i had customize with my own designs. the price on all of this stuff years ago was just crazy a tamiya kit and a radio was just so expensive like hundreds of dollars for guys our age that was alot of money back then. just to afford all of the radio shack cars i had to work all summer bussin tables, was it worth it?
you bet i just love it hat much rc forever' jerni
Old 04-20-2003, 08:21 AM
BilliYo

This thread has been going on forever! It is awesome! My first RC was a Tyco Turbo Hopper. When I upgraded to real RC's my mom got me and my lil bro Aristocraft Kangaroo's! The next Christmas I got a Kyosho Big Brute. After that, I bought a Big Bear from the kid down the block and a vintage Rough Rider from an older kid who wasn't interested in RC's anymore.

I got out of the hobby for a little bit, then bought a Kyosho Mooneyes Van and Kyosho USA-1 electric. Never got the Mooneyes Van to start so I put it away, and sold the USA-1. Few years later, got the Mooneyes van to start, but it kept braking on me so I put it away again.

Recently, got into RC's again thanks to eBay, I have purchased a MIB Big Bear, and 7 other Big Bears that I resore and resell on eBay. I don't make that much $, if any, but I like to do it! Just bought 2 Tamiya Hiluxes and 2 Bruisers to fix up and resell. Look for me on eBay, user id BilliYo!

Name:	72232_33704.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24645  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:36 AM
jeeptuff

Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro. Still have it, still a runner, parts are getting hard to come by though.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Corey1023

Default My first Real R/C Car

after a year of envy watching my friends drive frogs, grashoppers, fox's. Then Blackfoots, Monster Beetles and a Bruiser. I finaly got a Kyosho Big Brute in like 86 or 87. I sold it to my friend because it was kinda dissapointing, and bought a midnight pumpkin. That was a BLAST that truck was so fun to drive. I inherited my brothers Blackfoot and ran it too. Then I got out of the hobby until last week when I bought a car off Ebay. I always loved the optimas and so I bought one to restore.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Bricktop41

My first that I built all by myself was a Kyosho Javelin. I bought it back in oh 86 or 87 when I was in like 5th grade. It is a 4wd chain driven monster! Over the years it lost the chain and was only 2wd and then after awhile it didn't run at all beacuse too much stuff was broken and I couldn't find any parts. Last year however I began a restoration and thru tower hobbies and different hobbby shops I was able to find the parts I needed. Currently it is restored to 4wd, has full bearings an ESC by LRP and a Speed gems 9 turn double wind motor. I just ordered shocks because the stock ones are shot, as soon as they come in the car will be in excellent shape. The thing is fast as all hell! I modified some body mounts and put a Subaru Impreza WRX body on it and the thing looks sweet. As soon as its ready I'll get pics up of the Javelin and my other cars. Its old but I love it. See ya! Todd
Old 04-23-2003, 02:15 PM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

In the early 70's, my dad bought me a 1/12 scale Jerobee with a .049 engine. Then I moved on to a Associated 12E in around 1978. Lost control with a Tamiya Rough Rider in the early 80's and even had an old Kyosho Elec Rider motorcycle.

Jim
Old 04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
glock19

a midnight pumpkin in 1988. then got to racing in the early days of converting RC10s to trucks.
I still have all of um
midnight pumpkin
frog
grasshopper
blackfoot
gold tub Rc10 (then converted to truck)
JRXT
big brute
raider
rc10t2
4tec
emaxx
now looking for a 1/8 scale buggy
Old 04-24-2003, 06:14 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too started out with the venerable Tamiya Frog. That car rocked, especially with all the add-ons I adapted to it. Oh, those were the days........
Old 04-25-2003, 05:35 AM
razor XT

My first RC was the first gen RC10T that i bought used from a neighbor not sure it's as old as an Hornet or some of the others that were listed. I remember taking it and part and putting it back together. Even trying new gear combinations and motors. I love the thing though and that what started the whole craze for me.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:37 AM
lilmaxx

my first was the original mrc\tamiya blackfoot. what a beast. I even thought that thing was fast back then.(early 80's). the driveshafts did strip a lot, but they were cheap. the gearbox case was metal and never stopped leaking oil. but it would never die!
Most will agree the best cars were the cheapest cars you ever had, cause this hobby is addicting. you cant stop with just one car. you could totaly beat the hell out of the cheaper cars
(hornet,grasshopper,lazer,frog) and not feel guilty.

I'ts amazing how far rc's have come today!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:03 AM
YZ 250
My Feedback: (2)

My 1st was a Tamiya HotShot 4WD back in 85. Tried to race it against RC10's in a tight in door track. I couldn't turn tight enough (no wonder they let me race with the 2wd's) so I took out the dive shaft and made it a 2WD. It turn a little better but couldn't keep up with the RC10's. So I bought a RC10. went to every race at that track and got good and always placed 1st or 2nd. Then the owner said I'll sponsor you if you go to all the local races with me and gave me a Team checkpoint mod motor and all parts at cost.

So since I was things at cost I picked up another RC10 and converted it to a 4WD With the MIP kit that ran a speedo cable from the rear to the front diff.
Other kits I tried were Yokomo Dogfighter 4WD and Mugen Bulldog 4WD.

Now I have RC10 B2, two RC10GT's and a Mugen MBX-4RR.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:26 PM
James1701

Ah the memories. My first real RC car was the Taymia Fox. That thing was fast. It was around 84 or 85. The RC 10 had only been out a little while, and the optimas were just hitting the shelves. At the time the Fox with the MSC was one of the fastest cars out of the box, with the exception of the RC10. I can remember we had a skating rink that would close on Sunday evenings so we could have races there. I remember the first time I came to race, I was in the beginners class. I walked up the the starting line to set my car down, and all the young kids, around 8 or 9 just got too oohing and awwhhhing, and started yelling that one is going to win. And I could win as longs as no one else ended up t-boneing me. I miss that car. The one thing I really liked was the balance the car had. I would jump it off the bank at my parents drive way that was about 7 feet high, and it would say level as could be land on all fours and be on its way. I really need to look around and see if I can find another one in the box or just in really good shape, painted blue just like the box cover. And now after several planes trains and automobiles, I still enjoy it just as much as I did then, maybe even more, especially just tearing up dirt with my sport maxx lol.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:07 PM
SSsonoma43

My first one was a Kyosho Big Boss. That thing was great. It took a licking and kept on ticking. It also taught me a lot to start out with.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:13 PM
powerhungry

Default Off road

Isn't it funny that about 99% of people's first REAL rc car is an offroaded of some sort..
Old 08-10-2003, 07:41 PM
mastajkewl
Banned

mine was a tc3 but my dad got a tamiya vw beetle in 1979 still have it it is sooooooooooooooo
slow it has a 75 t urn johnsons 180 motor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.