Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Improving Used Gas WM Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Improving Used Gas WM Extra

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:40 AM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Improving Used Gas WM Extra

Hi all, I just sold one of my glow planes so I've got abit of cash to spend on the extra now!!! I have decided not to go for the hitec eclipse Tx as it wont let me mix the two elevator servo's together and let me trim both sides. So I have narrowed the choice to a JR X-378. I think this Tx will do the job for me? One question I do have is if I setup the 7 channel Rx with each servo on a seperate channel and the second battery plugged into an aux slot where can I plug my voltspy into? Can I run a 9channel Rx and plug it into another aux slot or is there another way?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: bigsport
One question I do have is if I setup the 7 channel Rx with each servo on a seperate channel and the second battery plugged into an aux slot where can I plug my voltspy into? Can I run a 9channel Rx and plug it into another aux slot or is there another way?
bigsport,

You don't have to run a 9 channel rx. Just use a "Y" harness to plug into the batt slot of the rx, then plug your switch harness into one end, and your voltspy into the other. It will work just fine. You can also do this with your second battery and say the throttle servo. I normally don't do it on a primary control surface though.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
dp extra350

Hey there,
I currently fly a Dave Patrick 330L and had a OS 1.60 w/ a pitts muffler and had fun JUST flying it around, but when I wanted to do some IMAC flying. I found the OS was just not there as your G38 is now.. NO Vertical to speak of... My solution. DA-50 w/ a pitts. FLYs like a rocket on 80:1 with a 22x8. Well worth the $$$.$$ YOU WON"T BE SORRY!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:24 AM
RustyTumbles

Yeah the DA50 will come down the track, just want to fly this setup first and get used to the big planes. Then I'll step up to a 50cc! I think I will have to go for the JR3810 for a transmitter as the X-378 is no longer available here in australia. Does the 3810 have the ability to mix two elevator servos? I think it does as it is the next model up from the 378 but I just want to clarify... I think this radio would be a better choice for future model. What do you guys think?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 AM
RustyTumbles

Hi guys just got back from holidays so the extra was put on hold for a while, but I'm back into it know. I did manage while on holidays to pick up a new JR2610 radio and PCM receiver cheap. So now all the radio gear is fitted up and all controls surfaces set. Since JR don't make a 6 channel PCM receiver I just plugged one battery into the batt slot and one into the aux 2 slot. That left channel 5 free for the voltspy, as I have just used a Y-lead on the ailerons. So now all I'm waiting on is the new muffler, prop, charger/discharger and a few other odds and ends to turn up and then we will be off to the field to see how she goes.

Also does anyone have any pictures of there transporting craddles? I need some ideas to help me build one. Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 07:35 AM
torqmeister

When you are ready for a 50cc engine, consider a Brison3.2. They are as strong as a DA or BME and the price is only $449.00. They are very reliable: 2yr warranty on engine and 1,000 hr unconditional gaurantee on the crankshaft. You won't get that with a DA.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:01 AM
RustyTumbles

Who is the dealer for brison engines? Can they ship to Australia?

I can't wait to fly this thing!! Just wish the parts will show up so I can finish setting her up. I'm hoping for a good performace boost with what I have done to her. I think the engine is where most the gains will be made, as I have not pulld that much weight out of her. Probably only 10-12oz all up, but I know for sure soon. I have chosen an APC 18x8 wide blade for a prop! I think it should turn at around 8000-8200rpm once the engine is retuned. Do you think this will be a good prop to start with?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 AM
torqmeister

Bigsport, go to www.brisonrcengines.com. They have been around a long time,&their customer service is excellent. you'll be running this engine for years. A Mezlick 22/8 will get the most out of this engine at 7300-7500 rpms.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 PM
RustyTumbles

Thanks for that!! They look like really good engines and I will definately keep them in mind for the future.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:17 AM
RustyTumbles

Finally got all my stuff I ordered. So the new slimline muffler is on, and the batteries have been charged with my new triton charger (good piece of kit!!). I mixed up some fuel (Castrol TTS at 40:1) yesterday and ran the engine withe the APC 18x8 wide blade. I tached it at 8040rpm at wide open and 1560rpm at idle. Are these good figures for that prop? Also the transition is really good so I've left the needles at the factory settings for now, as the muffler vibrated loose so I had to fix that up (which is done now with lots of locktite!!).

I just need to build a cradle to fit the plane into the trailer and stop it moving around. Has anyone got any pics of there cradles or restrianning devices that they could share?

I'm still yet to put the plane on the scales but I think it should come out around 17 pound. Which will be about 1/2 - 3/4 of a pound lighter than when I purchased it.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

G'Day Mate,

Here is my WM Extra on its stand. I made the stand because my trailer has a divider down the middle and the tailplane wont fit.
So I needed to tilt the model 45 degrees. I decided that upside down would be best as the model would rest on the firm sheeted foam parts of the fuse. I tie the whole lot down with velcro.
Mine has a YW 48cc twin. Great model. You will love yours.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18035.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	222551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37575.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	222552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89426.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	222553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74146.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	222554  
Old 01-30-2005, 03:39 PM
RustyTumbles

cool thanks for that!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:17 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

Since you asked about the trailer etc, I have decided to remodel my trailer and get rid of the centre divider. I plan to have just two full width shelves and then I will be able to carry my GP Christen Eagle fully assembled. I have just fitted flying wires to the Eagle and it will be a real pain in the bum to assemble at the field.

Then I can put the WM Extra on the top shelf sitting on its wheels.

Where do you fly in sydney?. I fly at Pitt Town.

Regards
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 AM
RustyTumbles

I fly at werrington park. The extra I brought is dave ragen old one! I remember your plane from the scale rally last year
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 PM
RustyTumbles

I test flew the extra today. WOW I love giant scale!!! I was so smooth to fly and so easy to see. I only had two flights today due to time restraints and a minor engine tunning issue. I tached the g38 with the apc 18x8 wide blade at just over 7800rpm at the factory settings, but it started to sagg durring the second flight. So I asked one of the more experienced gas guys to help me tune it. After about 10-15min of tunning we had it turning a 8300rpm. However we backed that down to 8100rpm.

Can't wait to take it out again. I was a little nervous for the first landing but it just floated in and greased onto the runway. I haven't really got into the aeros yet, just getting some more time on the sticks.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:43 PM
RustyTumbles

here are a few pics before the maiden!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44576.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	228562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30221.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	228563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48490.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	228564  
Old 02-13-2005, 01:39 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Bigsport,

Glad you got the Extra flying. I hope you like it as much as I like mine. I will come to Werington one day and fly with you.

Regards
Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Hey bigsport,

Welcome to the gas club! You might as well start selling all those slimmers now. Every time you go to the field from here on out, you'll be loading the gas burner!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:24 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Nogyro,

You are abosolutly correct. I have found that since I have started flying my gas models I don't really want to go to the trouble of cleaning up the glow models any more. Also the field support you need is less.

Regards
Old 02-13-2005, 02:18 PM
RustyTumbles

Yeah I will probably end up selling my remaining glow plane. I'm still waiting for the spinner for the extra, then it will be 100% complete. Can't wait to fly it again.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:36 PM
TommyWatson

Bigsport,

I have some spinners that came with my Extra. You can have them for free if you like. I have a Truturn spinner on mine.
There is a White spinner with a red spiral and a alluminium one. Call me on 0418221210 if you want them. I just like tru turn spinners!!!.

ORIGINAL: bigsport

Yeah I will probably end up selling my remaining glow plane. I'm still waiting for the spinner for the extra, then it will be 100% complete. Can't wait to fly it again.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:54 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

bigsport,

The Extra looks great. Just a thought: your Zenoah is turning 8000+ rpm with the 18" prop. I know the Zenoah's like to rev, but you may want to try narrow blade 20" prop, like an APC or Mejzlik 20x8. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
RustyTumbles

Tommy. I have already ordered a dave brown spinner from tower hobbies. Thanks for the offer anyway!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 AM
RustyTumbles

I've had three flights of the extra now and I'm starting to relax when flying it. The engine is running great and has a little more vertical than before. However the aileron servos are begining to play up. When I move the stick to full travel in either direction and then back to centre, the left aileron servo jitters badly until another imput is used or you touch the surface. Any idea what would cause this? I have decided to change the servos anyway!! What would be the best hitec or Jr digital servo to use? Without spending to much! Also I was experiencing some interferance or lost of signal as the plane went into failsafe just for a split second twice on my last flight. I did notics after the flight that the cowl was rubbing on the exhaust outlet pipes. Would this cause the problem? Or could it be re;ated to my aileron problem?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:11 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Mate,

I use Hitec Digital. I cant remember if I used 5625 MG or 5745 Karbonite Gears. I will check when I get home. I am in Hong Kong right now. I went to RADAR today. They have a new shop. It is full of World Models stuff. Pity I can't fit the box on the plane home.!!!

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.