Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-16 1/8 Leading Edge Flaps, Air Brakes and Operating Canopy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-16 1/8 Leading Edge Flaps, Air Brakes and Operating Canopy

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F-16 1/8 Leading Edge Flaps, Air Brakes and Operating Canopy

Hey David, havn't think about that,

Excellent advise. You are totally right man......

Do you have som pictures of how to install the servo on the center of the wing span (I mean the second LE flap servo).

I think I need to build a hardwood box, aeropoxied to the upper and lower skin. Isn't it?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F-16 1/8 Leading Edge Flaps, Air Brakes and Operating Canopy

Actually you can activate the L/E flap from the root by installing the servo in the fuselage with part of a ball link mounted on the servo arm protruding through the fuselage skin moving up and down in an arc ....then create a reinforced slot along the flap root and have the ball engage into that slot, this way when the servo arm is moving it will move the flap too ....can be used for the ailerons too for a nice and scale look ....no push-rods visible...
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: lavi rider

Actually you can activate the L/E flap from the root by installing the servo in the fuselage with part of a ball link mounted on the servo arm protruding through the fuselage skin moving up and down in an arc ....then create a reinforced slot along the flap root and have the ball engage into that slot, this way when the servo arm is moving it will move the flap too ....can be used for the ailerons too for a nice and scale look ....no push-rods visible...
Lavi, on the skymaster you cant. The fuel tanks would not allow it, there is no room. But in the same spirit, I would install the LE Flap servo the same way as the aileron, close to the wing root. This would be the only place on the wing where I can think a std size servo would fit. On the Bandit ARF, the flap servo is completely enclosed on the wing, and all you need is a small servo wheel for operation. I would use a similar setup. What you need to do is add a tab/horn to the LE Flap directly on it where it is concealed, maybe .25 - .50" from the hinge line. You'd have to cut a hole on the LE spar for the tab and the clevis to pass through.

But then again it is difficult to say, not being able to see the part. If you want go ahead and send the wings to me............we'll figure something out locally.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You mean that the tanks sit all the way into the LEXs ? I would not recommend a standard servo there, the aerodynamic forces on the LE are very significant.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Ha ha ha....nice joke David.......

David and Lavi:

The tanks don't seat into the LEX's. They sit on the fuse but there is no place to sit a servo inside the fuse to move the LE flaps.

Don't forget that the LE flap lenght is all the wing span. This make this a very large surface to be moved down or hold up as compared with the ailerons and this very large surface is only supported by a live hinge at the bottom skin.

So, the servo in the root of the LE flap installed the same way as the aileron servo is OK but as I have seen in the Marvin Alvarez FB 1/6 F-16 in the video of post No. 48, this LE Flap need another servo to give support to the live hinge. Otherwise, the live hinge is going to support all the stress generated by the incoming air stream when deployed. (When retracted, it sit against the top skin of the fixed part of the wing).

I have tested the S3050 Futaba digital servo in one of my old broken wings and it can be installed max, at half the span lenght. More close to the wing tip, theres is no room for a standard servo.

So my question is how to make a hardwood box to fix the servo in the wing and cover it with the square skin cutted.

BTW, the LE flap has no spar, The spar is in the fixed part of wing, close to the LE flap, so I need to install some hardwood blocks to install both tab/horn.

Should I install a spar in the LE Flap? Remember that this is a factory design based on the 1/6 scale LE Flap

All those questions were asked to John from SM, the past week, but no answer yet.

This job will be simplified if I can see how are servos and horns installed on the 1/6 scale.<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

1.BTW, the LE flap has no spar, The spar is in the fixed part of wing, close to the LE flap, so I need to install some hardwood blocks to install both tab/horn.

2.Should I install a spar in the LE Flap? Remember that this is a factory design based on the 1/6 scale LE Flap

1.Yes
2. N/A
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Gudmund

Guillermo,

I am thinking about putting leading edge flaps on a Yellow Aircraft F-16 (1/9 scale), so thanks for starting and maintaining this thread.

I like the construction approach detailed in the How To article in Post 31, and I think I can manage that.

My challenge will be to actuate the LEFs without any visible control horns, linkages, etc. I would really like to mount a servo inside the fuselage and drive each LEF in two or three places along its length using a torque rod. I haven't figured out the geometry or details for this yet and I am actually thinking a universal joint may be required.

Out of curiosity, what is the root chord of your Skymaster wings?

Keep up the good work.

Gudmund
Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has considered a geared spline going through the length of the leading edge of the wing?