Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Best 1/10 Electric Plastic Chassis Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best 1/10 Electric Plastic Chassis Touring Car

Get a listing of their distributors. You can order from them. I have one near me (my LHS), and he can order parts for the JL10e.

Maybe because of where you live, you may have to go through a foreign one, possibly from here, but it's possible.

It's either that, or get two....one to drive, the other as parts. I've done that for chassis that are discontinued, and the JL10e is considered very inexpensive (relatively), so it's another possibility. I don't think Ofna will discontinue it anytime soon, but I'm just giving you options.

Drop them an E-mail, and ask about it, I'm sure they will be happy to help. I've talked with them on the phone, and they answered all my questions.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

yeah i should of pointed out basicicly anything that not carbon fibre, i actually like the ofna very much now as i didn't like it as much before, i wouldve ranked it 5th but the parts suppore isn't to scratch like my tamiya tb03
Well, how would you class our cars with the CRlower decks? Technically not a plastic tub no more, but if you like your car as much as I do, then maybe there's an exception? lol

Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep true next time i should say best non carbon fibre chassis touring car
Hey dragnes7en, do you get your parts from rcmart? They have pretty much the best selection of tamiya stuff i've seen.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 AM
ElectricGuy007

Losi XXX-S....if the car is still made..
[link]http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA0285[/link]

Still it's graphite composite but that's still a type of plastic right?

Kyosho TF5, it's also plastic i believe...
[link]http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=kyosho+tf5&cp= 9&bav=on.1,or.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6356858848508687879&sa=X&ei=6YFrTf2bMI6usAOF 2tSmBA&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAg#[/link]

Associated TC4 is still made as well...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQsGbAodAVmxBw

And last a couple of Tamiya's...
[link]http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58345ferrarif430/index.htm[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXPW9&P=7[/link]
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

yep true next time i should say best non carbon fibre chassis touring car
Hey dragnes7en, do you get your parts from rcmart? They have pretty much the best selection of tamiya stuff i've seen.
Yes - I used to buy from him on Ebay, but the shipping costs were ridiculous so I found his web site and ordered straight from there.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Haddi Taha

electricguy007 yeah the xxx-s is discontinoued i think but i really like it, i hope they can put it into production again as a sport level chassis.

dragnes7en i agree with the shipping and the website has a larger variety of products.

Off topic but see that ... thread, everytime i open it and i get a buffer overflow so my protection software removes a trojan. Anyone having same problem?</p>
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Off topic but see that ... thread, everytime i open it and i get a buffer overflow so my protection software removes a trojan. Anyone having same problem?</p>
Everything's fine on my end

Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
sikolec

Just ran across this thread and was wondering if these plastic chassis are still able to compete with the newer models being ran today?

I guess more specifically Iused to race as a kid (TC3) and stopped as Imoved to college to a location that didn't have any organized RCracing, so Inever felt a need to bring my TC3. Ihave since graduated and moved down to the Southern California area, where there seems to be a good RCracing organization that I want to start racing with.

So my more specific question is: will my TC3 be competitive with the newermodels (Photon, TC6, etc.)?

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but I think this relates to the best electric plastic chassis touringcar and whether they are still able to compete...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
gokemidoro

Sure it will. It's not so old that it needs gobs of option parts, is it?

You may consider a new ESC/motor system, as they have come a fair way, in terms of power output and adjustability, but the chassis? Unless it's really beat, sure, it can still compete. Get some new tires and wheels, and you should be good.

The good thing is, you already know your chassis. Most of the guys getting new chassis are still getting to know theirs, which puts you one-up on them, to a certain degree.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: sikolec

Just ran across this thread and was wondering if these plastic chassis are still able to compete with the newer models being ran today?

I guess more specifically Iused to race as a kid (TC3) and stopped as Imoved to college to a location that didn't have any organized RCracing, so Inever felt a need to bring my TC3. Ihave since graduated and moved down to the Southern California area, where there seems to be a good RCracing organization that I want to start racing with.

So my more specific question is: will my TC3 be competitive with the newermodels (Photon, TC6, etc.)?

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but I think this relates to the best electric plastic chassis touringcar and whether they are still able to compete...

If you really liked the way your TC3 moved, then go to X Ray, or Tamiya.

There are both "tub" chassis and dbl deck chassis for on road 4WD. The X Ray TC3 2011 edition would be on my list, and for a center pulley True Traction full time 4WD (not full-time but over double that) full wheel drive, get the Tamiya TRF417.

If you're on a budget like the rest of us, then go for a Tamiya TA05 or TB03 series (TA05 is belt and TB03 is Shaft) they work with the rest of the Tamiya TBEVOIV and V series parts - quite neat if you ask me and that's why I own three

Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Haddi Taha

dragnes7en has said everything and yeah the tb03 and ta05 chassis are known to do well even against high end chassis if you want to retire your tc3. I'd say the TB03 is better option 17.5t and 13.5t class because of the shaft drive instant power but the ta05v.2 is better for anything lower as it is easier to drive.

WIthout going to to the shaft vs belt argument but i will give you a brief explanation if you are not sure on what drive is ideal for you.

Shaft
More instant power and better acceleration
More rear traction
Most have a sealed drivtrain (including tb03) which keeps dirt out of the gears unlike belt drives
No need to replace damaged belts, pulleys ect
Need more driver skill but can post faster laps than belt drives. Ideal for higher turns.

Belt
More centered weight distrubution
Slack in the belts will prevent gear damage and less prone to torque steer issues.
More leanient on gearing
Easier to access the drivetrain
Easier to drive with lower turn motors as laptimes are more conistant.

Torque steer is usually caused by a diiference in droop settings from left to right and has a greater effect on a shaft, doesn't mean droop settings are not idiot proof on a belt drive.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

dragnes7en has said everything and yeah the tb03 and ta05 chassis are known to do well even against high end chassis if you want to retire your tc3. I'd say the TB03 is better option 17.5tand 13.5t class because of the shaft drive instant power but the ta05v.2 is better for anything lower as it is easier to drive.

WIthout going to to the shaft vs belt argument but i will give you a brief explanation if you are not sure on what drive is ideal for you.

Shaft
More instant power and better acceleration
More rear traction
Most have a sealed drivtrain (including tb03) which keeps dirt out of the gears unlike belt drives
No need to replace damaged belts, pulleys ect
Need more driver skill but can post faster laps than belt drives. Ideal for higher turns.

Belt
More centered weight distrubution
Slack in the belts will prevent gear damage and less prone to torque steer issues.
More leanient on gearing
Easier to access the drivetrain
Easier to drive with lower turn motors as laptimes are more conistant.

Torque steer isusually caused by a diiference in droop settingsfrom left to right and has a greater effect on a shaft, doesn't mean droop settings are not idiot proofon a belt drive.

My two cents:

1. Shaft drive
A1. More durable driveline from the motor to the gear boxes

2. Belt Drive
A. Smoother and much more quiet; advanced belts tighten up as they heat up, so zero deflection shown even at MMP7700Kv speeds; the belted radial tires give out first.

PROS: The TB03 series would definitley last longer bashing. The TA05 series would win in the weight class.

CONS: Belt drives are like a girl's long hair. The TB03 is more vunerable to dirt than a TA05.

Just from my observtions . . . .

oh and both belt drive and shaft drive on road cars do the spinning pierouwett - skating thing where it goes straight up in the air and spins a super donut on its rear bumper - the true BL guys know what I'm talking about . . . .. .

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Haddi Taha

Well said, but how is the tb03 more vulnerable to dirt if it fully enclosed drive train?

I'm getting a ta05v.2r as my next project, that way i will have my 2 fav rides (tb03 ta05v.2)

Anyone wonder if a tb03v.2 might be released and when?<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Well said, but how is the tb03 more vulnerable to dirt if it fully enclosed drive train?

I'm getting a ta05v.2r as my next project, that way i will have my 2 fav rides (tb03 ta05v.2)

Anyone wonder if a tb03v.2 might be released and when?
Is it sealed or just enclosed? If the latter then dust and fine dirt can still get in.

All I found is ths:
<div class="font-xlrg-bold">RC TB03R Chassis Kit - TB03</div><span class="font-smx">Item #84109</span>

They might skip the v2 and make the TB04 - you never know . . .

Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 AM
gokemidoro

Anyone wonder if a tb03v.2 might be released and when?<br type="_moz" />
Actually, isn't the TB03 an older design? They might have gone as far as they could with the TB03. Though I still notice how popular the DF03 chassis is, and it has some serious defects, but Tamiya hasn't seen fit to update, so I'm not sure we'll see a newer version of the TB03. The TA05 v2 is such a great update, and though I'm still a belt guy, I'm giving the JL10e another shot, because the first one was so good. I never shgould have sold it in the first place, but live and learn.

dragnse7en,

Belts like a girl's long hair? LOL! but I like a girl with long hair! And I know EXACTLY what you mean by pirouettes. I've been a student of ground effects ever since!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Haddi Taha

i think enclosed because you can see the center shaft and the a bit of the proppeller joints. But still better protection than the ta05v.2. The TB03 is not an old design its a plastic version of the tbevolutionV with ifs. It was realeased in 2008</p>
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I wish I had video of all the intense high-speed crashes and successful speed runs from my older TA05-R, but I guess this is the next best thing with the same ESC and motor, thrown into my old TC5FT . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt60SxXK9CE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKPU9bsMwxo
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Haddi Taha

man thats pretty fast. 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Get a belt drive then - youd be super surprised on how the front and rear pulleys expel and dirt or rocks or sand . . .. Buy my car !!!!! TA05-R for 500 USD!!!! LOL just kidding
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Haddi Taha

Yeah i am getting one but not for a while, got too many rc projects to finishbefore starting a new one.My eyes are set on the tamiya ta05v.2r but i wish it came with more drivetrain hopups. I am thinking of putting a 13.5t in the tb as i really like its handling with high turn motors. Is it possible to controlthe ta05 around a large asphalt track with that 7700 motor?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Yes, it's possible. Just be sure you have enough room to slow down.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Haddi Taha

nothing worse than trying to slow down and hiting the gutter breaking parts but worse.....................ruining a newely painted shell [X(]</p>
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

nothing worse than trying to slow down and hiting the gutter breaking parts but worse.....................ruining a newely painted shell [X(]</p>
OMG I did that to my AE TC5FT - I thought that I had room to brake, but no. 12 meter mis-judgement, and BAM!!!!! I got it to try to bleed off the speed, but it's ass end pucked right into a granite curb in the parking lot. Cost me about 75 USD to replace, which was a total *****, and that's exactly why I gave that platform away.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Haddi Taha

There you go

1st TA05 3pts

2nd Hotbodies Cyclone S 6pts</p>

3rd <font color="#000000">Associated</font> TC4 12pts</p>

4th Associated TC3 13pts</p>

4th Tamiya TB03 13pts</p>

5th Tamiya TT01 16pts</p>

6th HPI Sprint 2 24pts</p>

7th 3Racing SakuraS 27pts</p>

8th <font color="#000000">Ofna</font> Jl10E 28pts</p>

9th Kyosho TF-5 29pts</p>

10th Kyosho Fazer 31pts</p>

11th HPI E10 31pts</p>

12th Thundertiger Sparrowhawk 35pts</p>

13th HSP Xeme 36pts

Thats our results. I'm happy to see that my two favourite companies ae and tamiya grabbed 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th positions

Thanks to all for you votes.

Have a good day (if its day in your part of the world)

</p>
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Haddi Taha

ouch

Irun my car in the carpark with them sparearta gayaria shell that came with the kit, standard paint job so i don't care too much about smashig it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.