Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

THANK YOU..... I'M GLAD THEIRARE SOMEPEOPLE ON HERE THAT UNDER STAND YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!
ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: schuttman

Dude you go buy you a Kia or a Hundia and watch them loose 80% of their value in less than 3yrs!!!!!!! You need to do your research, there isa reason something is cheaper
you get whatyou pay for....
The quote for you people that don't understand it was you need to compaire apples to apples, no way in this world or any other is a Traxxas on the same level as ASsociated, Losi, Hpi, or Ofna......

Thanks for clearing that up so I wouldnt have to say it myself.

And most people on this site still dont understand what you said...
If you buy something in RC the higher the price the better its gonna be.
A Baja B SCT costs $1300+, is it worth it? You be the judge, you darn right it's gonna be good...[>:]
Although most people wish they could have one, most people cannot afford it.
Stuff is priced high for a reason, the more money you pay the better it gonna be and more reliable it's gonna be.
I myself know I couldnt afford one, much less have the room to put something that gigantic in my house.
I was just using that as an example.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
wolfgheist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread has seriously been hijacked. :P
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM
sloppyG

A Kia or Hundai will never be better or worth more than my Chevy Silverado 3500, not in this life or any other...
ORIGINAL: sloppyG

you should do a bit of research shuttman, the koreans are making better cars than the americans, even though ford has stepped things up recently

a hyundai or a kia, while not status symbols are good cars, not exciting, but better quality than detroit puts out
LOL,

someone with a chevy talking about re-sale value.....

have you ever heard that saying about people who live in glass houses?

there are already Hyundai's worth more than your Chevy, go try and trade your truck for an Equus or even a Genesis and see if they'll trade you straight up for your sweet truck...
Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

LMAOROTF!!!!!!!! Dude get a LIFE!!!!!!

A Kia or Hundai will never be better or worth morethan my Chevy Silverado 3500, not in this life or any other...

you should do a bit of research shuttman, the koreans are making better cars than the americans, even though ford has stepped things up recently

a hyundai or a kia, while not status symbols are good cars, not exciting, but better quality than detroit puts out
LOL,

someone with a chevy talking about re-sale value.....

have you ever heard that saying about people who live in glass houses?

there are already Hyundai's worth more than your Chevy, go try and trade your truck for an Equus or even a Genesis and see if they'll trade you straight up for your sweet truck...
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM
sloppyG

if you really wanted to support your local automakers, shuttman, you'd buy a nissan titan

they make those in your state
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
schuttman

Bottom line like was stated in some of the first post, do some more research and buy a good RC a good brand with a long proven track record.
Like I said before you will never go wrong with Associated, Losi, Hpi, Ofna. They have geat tech. support, and a long proven record.
What ever you decide to get I can tell you from experince you will have a blast, and it will be addictive........
Ya talk about hijacked....
ORIGINAL: wolfgheist

Wow, this thread has seriously been hijacked. :P
Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
schuttman

I would like to see you pull a 40ft enclosed goosneck trailer witha Nissan Titan.. Now that would be some funny S**t....

if you really wanted to support your local automakers, shuttman, you'd buy a nissan titan

Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
ramp4ge

he problems you are talking about here, and you say Traxxas is better than Asscoiated LMAO.......
Did you actually read my post?

If you did, you'd see that of everything I listed, only 2 are "common problems". The rest are optional upgrades that apply to ANY vehicle.

I guess RPM doesn't make arms for Associated vehicles, right? That's why my RC10GT is pretty much built entirely of RPM parts?

Learn to read.

On a second note, where have I EVER stated that Traxxas was better then Associated?

EVER?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
schuttman

Well yes I can read or I would not be on here!!!!!Sorry I went back and re-read yourpost I was wrong, I took it the worng way, sorry.I think it is always better to spend alittle more money and have a
R/C that is going to last a long time and be dependable.
ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

he problems you are talking about here, and you say Traxxas is better than Asscoiated LMAO.......

If you did, you'd see that of everything I listed, only 2 are "common problems". The rest are optional upgrades that apply to ANY vehicle.

I guess RPM doesn't make arms for Associated vehicles, right? That's why my RC10GT is pretty much built entirely of RPM parts?

Learn to read.

On a second note, where have I EVER stated that Traxxas was better then Associated?

EVER?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
wolfgheist

Well yes I can read or I would not be on here!!!!!Sorry I went back and re-read yourpost I was wrong, I took it the worng way, sorry.I think it is always better to spend alittle more money and have a
R/C that is going to last a long time and be dependable.

Learn to read.

EVER?

My Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXLwill be delivered on Wednesday. What battery packs should Iget to have spares? Any particular brands to get and any to stay away from?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
ramp4ge

The high-capacity Duratrax packs are great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAGH&P=7

6-cell

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAGL&P=7

7-cell

I've been running 4 of these packs for a while and they're great. Never had a false peak with any of them and I abuse the hell out of them.

Associated's "Wolfpack" series is nice too.

Stay away from Venom batteries. Garbage. I also had a 7-cell Trinity fail on me pretty quickly.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
ElectricGuy007

Stay away from Venom batteries. Garbage. I also had a 7-cell Trinity fail on me pretty quickly.
+2 on the Venom Batteries, the trinity packs id say are also garbage.
I bought 4 of them when tower had them 3600's on sale for $18 or whatever only 2 of them worked.
Trinity looks like they are either going out of business, because thier website everything is either dirt cheap
or sold out, or they are selling out of old stock to bring in new stock. Thier motors are excellent just not thier
batteries. also tower doesnt carry trinity anymore...[:-]
www.teamtrinity.com
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 378

Buy a new one or I have a feeling you'll be on first-name basis with the LHS clerk within a month.
My first r/c was used and I was on a first name basis with the LHS within 2 weeks. By a month I new where they lived, their dogs name, what they ate for dinner every night. Hell, even now, 2 years later, when I've got a good handle on it all, my cellnumber is STILL posted on their wall.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 378

'85 Ford F150 4.9L. 275,000 miles. Never been rebuilt and I'd trust it to get me through Baghdad.

Now what was that you were saying about domestic reliability?
I had an '88 F150 with the 4.9L. I ran that thing through hell and back. Lasted forever and took alot to finally kill it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
The Hedgehog

A Kia or Hundai will never be better or worth more than my Chevy Silverado 3500, not in this life or any other...

LOL!

How much is your highly reliable vehicle worth?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
wolfgheist

The high-capacity Duratrax packs are great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXAAGH&P=7

6-cell

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXAAGL&P=7

7-cell

I've been running 4 of these packs for a while and they're great. Never had a false peak with any of them and I abuse the hell out of them.

Associated's "Wolfpack" series is nice too.

Idont want to get Lithium? I want NIMH? About how long can Irun on one of these battery packs? (Trying to figure out how many to get so I can have fun for at least an hour). Also an inexpensive, but safe and decent charger recommendation?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wolfgheist

I dont want to get Lithium? I want NIMH? About how long can I run on one of these battery packs? (Trying to figure out how many to get so I can have fun for at least an hour). Also an inexpensive, but safe and decent charger recommendation?
Lipo batteries should be able to give you 20-40 minutes of runtime depending on battery capacity and your driving style. Oh and they're perfectly safe too, provided you handle them correctly. Yes, they explode, but it's always because they're damaged and/or charged wrong. Treated right they're as safe as NiMHs.

A NiMH, by comparison, will only last about 5-15 minutes.

I would like to see you pull a 40ft enclosed goosneck trailer with a Nissan Titan.. Now that would be some funny S**t....
It would do it, actually. But, seeing as it's only a half-ton, it wouldn't do it with a load.

Then again neither would an F150. Or a Ram 1500. Or a Silverado 1500. Those are the trucks the Titan is aimed at, those are the trucks to which it should be compared, and none of them are going to be pulling a 40 footer either. Nissan doesn't offer a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, so you can't use a load that would require such a pickup to test one.

[/quote] The Domestics are still made in America.

Well...the trucks at least...
ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I had an '88 F150 with the 4.9L. I ran that thing through hell and back. Lasted forever and took alot to finally kill it.
lol mine still isn't dead. Excellent trucks. I wish the modern ones were built this well, and still had the 300 in 'em. And had a manual. And were half the size. And weren't horrible to look at.

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

LOL!

How much is your highly reliable vehicle worth?
500 bucks. Why, you ask?

Well, three reasons. One: Ford only made about five kajillion of them. With that many being made, and how reliable there are, it stands to reason that supply far exceeds demand. So they don't sell for much even in pristine condition. A numbers matching 0mile '85 F150 will only fetch ten to fifteen grand if you're lucky and it's got every option offered back then. Mine would be lucky to score 7500 if it was in mint showroom condition. Two: Cosmetically, mine's a wreck. There isn't a body panel on it that isn't dented, faded, or rusty. Also the dashboard is held on with wishes and good luck, and the dash doesn't light up at night. Modern car buyers obsess over cosmetic condition to the point they don't care how reliable it is, so to them my perfectly reliable old truck isn't hardly worth the metal it's made of. Three: It's 25 years old and it has 275 grand on it. Even a Ferrari with 25 years and 275K on the clock isn't gonna command much.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
TIGER76

@ wolfgheist

If you can find EP or IB cell packs go with them ive always used them in my vxl and had no problems i use 8cell packs (9.6v) 5000mah and get around 25mins of fullpower on the vxl system
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
wolfgheist

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

@ wolfgheist

If you can find EP or IB cell packs go with them ive always used them in my vxl and had no problems i use 8cell packs (9.6v) 5000mah and get around 25mins of fullpower on the vxl system
Looking at the spec's, it looks like if Iupgrade toa LiPo battery Ialso need to upgrade the Pinion/Spur?

Also, should Ipretty much stay away from all the LiPo packs on Ebay?

Are those 8 cell packs NIMHor LiPo?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 AM
TIGER76

Tbh if you want full benefits of the vxl 11.1v lipo packs are the way to go but then you need a lipo charger balancer etc
gearing wise if should be fine but by changing spur/pinion it will alter your top speed ie bigger pinion+smal spur will increase topend.
Lipos on ebay seem to be hit or miss just wait for someone on here to post up some good ones for you, my friend used traxpower ones in his vxl but there costly so let some one else advise on decent cheap lipos.
Yes the 8cells are nimh packs m8 i have so many nimh packs ranging from 6-9cells i havent bothered to upgrade to lipo as i would need a new charger/balancer etc
The vxl can handle up to 12v so a 3s 11.1v pack will be fine just watch the heat on the esc and you should be fine you can add the traxxas addon fan to help cooling, the esc has the lead built in but i just used a small pc fan which works just as well to get rid of any heat.

Enjoy that slash m8 [8D]
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
wolfgheist

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

Tbh if you want full benefits of the vxl 11.1v lipo packs are the way to go but then you need a lipo charger balancer etc
gearing wise if should be fine but by changing spur/pinion it will alter your top speed ie bigger pinion+smal spur will increase topend.
Lipos on ebay seem to be hit or miss just wait for someone on here to post up some good ones for you, my friend used traxpower ones in his vxl but there costly so let some one else advise on decent cheap lipos.
Yes the 8cells are nimh packs m8 i have so many nimh packs ranging from 6-9cells i havent bothered to upgrade to lipo as i would need a new charger/balancer etc
The vxl can handle up to 12v so a 3s 11.1v pack will be fine just watch the heat on the esc and you should be fine you can add the traxxas addon fan to help cooling, the esc has the lead built in but i just used a small pc fan which works just as well to get rid of any heat.

Enjoy that slash m8 [8D]
What is the lowest price Ican get away with for a 2S pack and a charger? The sites Iam looking at are $200 and up for a charger/battery pack combo.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM
wolfgheist

This guy that posted an article on this website was using the Turnigy 2S LiPo battery pack. Those are the ones I see sold on Ebay. Are they actually any good? They are fairly inexpensive.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1262
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
wolfgheist

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9172

or

http://3dxhobbies.com/turnigy-5000ma...case-pack.html

or

http://3dxhobbies.com/turnigy-nano-t...lipo-pack.html
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
wolfgheist

I also guess I need help understanding what Discharge rate I want.

Here are three I am looking at. 20C/25C/30C (Why is the 25C cheapest?)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10355

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9183

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9515
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
thehuntingterminator

you got it! Chevy is awsome, but Toyota will last longer and better in the deep mud and woods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.