Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Did not know that, I'll pass it along.
Edwin
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 AM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Well, a perfect example of what we are all talking about. My buddy with the DL50 emailed me this morning, it finally died this weekend. He's a 3D guy and was in a hover and fortunately pretty high when the engine just stopped, and he did a good dead stick. A wrist pin snap ring broke and the engine ate it. No compression, deep gouges in the cylinder wall and piston. He asked if it was worth fixing, I told him no, its disposable. I suspect he's gonna move on to a DA. He could have lost a fairly new plane. I suspect he had about 50 hours or so on it. He's had it for about 2 1/2 years. I'll find out shortly.
Edwin

Just heard back from him, only 60 hours.
Maybe I am missing something here? 60 hours and it is bad that it failed? At, lets say 379 dollars, that is about 6.30 an hour for the engine. Good value in MHO. I have seen many of the more expensive brands fail also. And in saying that (and I have 4 DLE's and 3 Zenoahs) I will be the first to say that while the DA's and 3W's may be better...... or they that much better for the weekend sport flyer for the money?? That is a personal choice based on your hobby budget.

And as far as Zenoahs going away! They might but not anytime soon! You forget that while the rest of these engines are designed solely for RC use the Zenoahs for the most part are not.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Edwin

Just a difference in opinion. 60 hours doesnt seem that long to me. But an even more concern is when it dies, I would hate to loose a plane due to an engine failure.
Edwin
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you shouldn't fly them, it happens everyday with any brand engine.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: skillet92

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Well, a perfect example of what we are all talking about. My buddy with the DL50 emailed me this morning, it finally died this weekend. He's a 3D guy and was in a hover and fortunately pretty high when the engine just stopped, and he did a good dead stick. A wrist pin snap ring broke and the engine ate it. No compression, deep gouges in the cylinder wall and piston. He asked if it was worth fixing, I told him no, its disposable. I suspect he's gonna move on to a DA. He could have lost a fairly new plane. I suspect he had about 50 hours or so on it. He's had it for about 2 1/2 years. I'll find out shortly.
Edwin

Just heard back from him, only 60 hours.
Maybe I am missing something here? 60 hours and it is bad that it failed? At, lets say 379 dollars, that is about 6.30 an hour for the engine. Good value in MHO. I have seen many of the more expensive brands fail also. And in saying that (and I have 4 DLE's and 3 Zenoahs) I will be the first to say that while the DA's and 3W's may be better...... or they that much better for the weekend sport flyer for the money?? That is a personal choice based on your hobby budget.

And as far as Zenoahs going away! They might but not anytime soon! You forget that while the rest of these engines are designed solely for RC use the Zenoahs for the most part are not.
I am finding out in this area now that people are more interested in gassers and have tried some kinda junky China made engines, guys are finding out Zenoahs are really good engines and are buying them used. Sometimes at a good price....cheap assome of junk Chima made stuff. Ony fair China made engine is a DLE or a MLD>.....................
Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
TimBle

DL50 gets used for 3d and longevity is compared to a zenith that's probably pulling a cub around... Yeah that's logical....sigh

<edit> Zenith = Zenoah when typing on Nokia handheld with predicative text on...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Zenith(?) GT80s are routinely running at 11,500 rpm pulling our Giant Scale raceplanes around at 190 mph...
G62s run 9000 rpm pulling raceplanes at 135 mph..
G26 marine engines are running 18,000 pulling race boats around at 100 mph..
G26 heli engines run at 10,000 rpm..
Try that on your Cub..Or your DL50
sigh
Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

DL50 gets used for 3d and longevity is compared to a zenith that's probably pulling a cub around... Yeah that's logical....sigh
Plenty of people 3D Zenoahs. Obviously you never watched the video link that I posted or done a search on You Tube.....sigh
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Banzai55

I like my zenoahs, BUT! Redesign the carbs so that the throttle linkage is a straight shot. And I dont want to buy an adapter!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I must be the only guy that flew Fuji and liked them. I had two, a 50 and a 60 size. Both ran great and flew in Yellow Aircraft P-40's just fine. I lost them both in crashes that were not the motors fault. I do not own a Zen, but there sure are a lot of them at the warbird gatherings. But as others have said, the RC market is a funny thing at times. You never know.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffEE

I must be the only guy that flew Fuji and liked them. I had two, a 50 and a 60 size. Both ran great and flew in Yellow Aircraft P-40's just fine. I lost them both in crashes that were not the motors fault. I do not own a Zen, but there sure are a lot of them at the warbird gatherings. But as others have said, the RC market is a funny thing at times. You never know.
Yes and the market can look completely different from one flying field to the next, especially in different parts of the country.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:59 PM
jmpups

If all you have advanced to flying is a 4 star 120, go back to rubber bands
Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thing ... my DLE55 out pulled a friend's Zenoah G62 in some recent bench static testing...

Of course both engines were not new and a lot of other factors enter the realm. Kind of interesting result.

Zenoah is a good motor in my book...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What is wrong with a 4 star? they are great flying planes. And as far as rubber bands, there is an entire world of flying on rubber. Don't knock it till you try it. But this is a bit off topic, perhaps better left for a different thread!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: jmpups

Oooohhh, here we go, looking down on somebody having fun with a 4 Star 120. Wow, maybe your highness would tell us what we have to fly. And of course, rubber band fliers have no clue that they cannot be having fun either...
Geezz get over yourself!

Gerry

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM
tjrhodes01

no your not the only one , i have run both zenohas and fugis for years and i would have to give koodos to my fugi, but that was the past ive been running the zdz's for years now and i love their clean transition and excellent power to weight i dont fly warbirds anymore, sorry correction i just fly the ones with turbines now
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
psgugrad

I know the difference between your and you're...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
psgugrad

ORIGINAL: jmpups

Dude...there's more to life than model airplanes. I like this hobby, but I'm gainfully self-employed and have other aspects of my life outside of this hobby that occupy my time. You sound like one of those guys who is proficient at flying model airplanes but flips burgers for a living and thinks he's better than someone who is an average pilot but is far more successful in all other aspects of life. Every club has someone like you.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My next engine will be a G62. I agree, the OP is terribly misinformed and just trying to stir the pot.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
p51Dpony

Actually, with all the trees I've flown through I found that a chainsaw engine up front is what really saves the day...

BUT... zenoah is an engine that will exist even without rc since it has industrial/tool market and that makes it refined and cheap and reliable with parts availability.  Many airplane types need a reliable solid engine, not a "3D" engine, warbirds/bipes/ and some scale planes actually need some weight up front and zenoah gives the weight and reliability.  There is a joy when I run one of my magneto engines as its one less battery to charge on the plane without the electronic ignition.

You saw that zenoah ad a few years back where the guy crashed his zenoah powered plane into a swamp, didn't find it till next summer and the engine spent all winter in the ice,,, only to be found, cleaned up and it fired right up.  Frankly we can expand that ad campaign to say that during the off season the zenoah can be used as a boat anchor, a heavy duty paperweight, a bowling ball that slides more than rolls, a wheel chock for airliners, an emergency window breaking device should your car drive into a river with you in it.

The fuji 's that went out of business, are those the ones Tower Hobby was selling?? Say it isn't so!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

So[&o]
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
p51Dpony

I have the fuji 24 in a 1/4 cub, a 64cc in a giant stinger, both magneto, but I do like the 26cc zenoah a little bit better, now I guess I have reason to stay w/ zenoah for those plane types...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

The original post was pointless...I'm surprised it's up to 72 posts now. We all know Zenoah is not going out of business or 'down the crapper'. Let's end this sillyness and move on. [:'(]
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Fortunately, the market will determine the engine survivors, not this thread. BTW, what ever happened to Quadra and Sachs? I have both brands, they run fine, but they're heavy. My DA's are far superior but they cost a bit more, for sure. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 PM
TimBle

well do you? Get what you pay for? Or do sometimes pay more for the same thing?

The beauty of recessive economic growth is that it weeds out the underperformers.

I am 90% certain at a 90% confidence that Zenaoh will survive. But I am less confident that they will remain an RC engine supplier unless they make some changes to their product line.

Example I was looking at a 26 cc recently for a warbird (BH FW190) and looked at their engine. Too bulky  heavy, don't seem to like the bigger scale props. Ordered an MVVS instead. Still a qulaity engine but the chinese lost out because none of their engines met the weight or packaging requirement either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.