Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas LaTrax Rally...Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: traxxas LaTrax Rally...Why?

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: littlemel

ORIGINAL: Zrock

you seriously thing they are only going to make 20-25% on their product? They are making no less than 50 -70% off of any of their models or it would not make sence for them to do it. Unfortunately its the distributor and the dealer that are making less than their full % at retail witch is usually 40-70% but in no way traxxas is not goig to get their full pop. Plus they plan on making money off the upgrades that alot of them will aready be migrated in from current production cars. My work involves both manufacturing and retail and i know the behind teh scenes of both. You want to see a real rip of then think of teh parts you buy for your car. A pc of trim costs about $20 to fully manufacturor by the time you get it the selling price is now $150 for a pc of chrome and rubber trim to go around your window. Don't fool yourself these manufacturors may be putting out alot of money for a new line but they are also making nothing but money hence why they have a mil+ advertising budget.. And also don't forget this is just the first of many that will be release with this line up so how many parts cross over to difrent veh?
When a retail store get the product from the distributer, they dont get it for 40%-70% less than they sell it for. It is closer to 20% markup on average.
<br type="" />
I think he was saying traxxas makes 40-70%. and that retailers/stores make 10-20%. Which is kinda odd to me....I work at a hardware store and most items are marked up around 50%.
The owner of the local hobby shop said is profit comes from parts and not models, cause the markup on models is just not enough....and naturally you sell far more parts than models.
You are corret about parts making the money, The markup sucks on the kits themselves.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Zrock

you seriously thing they are only going to make 20-25% on their product? They are making no less than 50 -70% off of any of their models or it would not make sence for them to do it. Unfortunately its the distributor and the dealer that are making less than their full % at retail witch is usually 40-70% but in no way traxxas is not goig to get their full pop. Plus they plan on making money off the upgrades that alot of them will aready be migrated in from current production cars. My work involves both manufacturing and retail and i know the behind teh scenes of both. You want to see a real rip of then think of teh parts you buy for your car. A pc of trim costs about $20 to fully manufacturor by the time you get it the selling price is now $150 for a pc of chrome and rubber trim to go around your window. Don't fool yourself these manufacturors may be putting out alot of money for a new line but they are also making nothing but money hence why they have a mil+ advertising budget.. And also don't forget this is just the first of many that will be release with this line up so how many parts cross over to difrent veh?
At $10k per mold, I'll just say there are 40 molds to be safe, that's $400k right? There is no way they spent millions on research, advertising and manuals/packaging. If traxxas actually did research to see what people want, they wouldn't be releasing these lol.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why is it assumed all the molds are new? is it a revival of an older chassis? If so, the molds would just be used again and not new ones made.
And its not like TRAXXAS is making this stuff anyway....some factory in china is.
It says powered by traxxas...what I think they mean is Marketed by traxxas...LOL.

Again, not a bad looking rc and the specs are decent (accept for the 6v battery, should have been 7.2) but the price is just wrong....to high...to many better models for that kind of money.

If I owned a hobby shop, I wouldn't order in a single one of these cars. Id feel like I was ripping off customers!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

why is it assumed all the molds are new? is it a revival of an older chassis? If so, the molds would just be used again and not new ones made.
And its not like TRAXXAS is making this stuff anyway....some factory in china is.
It says powered by traxxas...what I think they mean is Marketed by traxxas...LOL.

Again, not a bad looking rc and the specs are decent (accept for the 6v battery, should have been 7.2) but the price is just wrong....to high...to many better models for that kind of money.

If I owned a hobby shop, I wouldn't order in a single one of these cars. Id feel like I was ripping off customers!
He said it cost about 10k per mold to pull them out of storage and prep them to be used again. I don't see how but if he says so.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

<span style="font-size: medium;">If I owned a hobby shop, I wouldn't order in a single one of these cars. Id feel like I was ripping off customers!</span>
We had a guy call in looking to see if we had any yet. He wanted 2. So I guess there is interest out there.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlemel

<span style=''font-size: medium;''>If I owned a hobby shop, I wouldn't order in a single one of these cars. Id feel like I was ripping off customers!</span>
We had a guy call in looking to see if we had any yet. He wanted 2. So I guess there is interest out there.
<br type=''_moz'' />
well, Im not saying they wont sell. Im sure they will....as there are plenty of people who don't know to shop around and compare...and then there are those who have the money to spend and price is of little concern.
But as someone who has to scrape up money to keep his RC hobby alive....I wont buy a model no matter how good it is....if it is overpriced.

For me, a model must be well balanced in its performance, durability And price. If any of those 3 are not present, then I either wont buy the model or certainly wont own it for long.
If I were looking right now for a 1/18 4wd onroad car (or rally car) and had $150 to spend, there are at least 2 other cars I would buy before the traxxas....because IMO they provide better value for the money.
And then there is the Losi 1/24 rally...which for the same price can be had in brushless form!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yeh, I guess I should point out that this model doesn't look that bad, as units like this go, but it is expensive. My earlier rant was more 'in general' than anything else, and I'm also pleased that phmax mentioned the mini-zs, the cost of which is nothing short of out-blinding-rageous. Traxxas have NOTHING on Kyosho in the overcharging stakes. I remember when a certain MP9 kit was 900 euro. For a 1/8th buggy? Better be made entirely out of unobtanium and drive itself for that kinda cash.
At my LHS I was looking at dNano's once cause they just got them in(never saw them only heard of them with no idea on pricing) when the clerk told me how much dNano's cost I almost shat my pants, and asked if they misread the price.
Hell cheapest I seen them are $160 for the chassis itself (thing must be made out of gold), and $130 for the radio which is required.

I'll be honest I don't think this will be a bad vehicle just the price point is a bit idiotic IMO if you look at the competition that is in the same market, and has been out for a long time. Also marketing it as a rally IMO was also not a good move they should have made it into a pure drift car, or on-road as it has no rally qualities outside a rallyish looking body.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Jackislost

I don't get why people say that this isn't a good deal. I use to run an xray m18pro and that thing was crazy expensive, now they are discontinued and I have one with broken parts that I can't run anymore. I also have a heavily modded losi micro truggy and that thing in stock form gave me so much headache. comparing it to losi micro truggy like someone on here, sure they are same price, but the brushless xceleron micro series is complete crap. the motor on those fail so fast, not to mention the servo's are the 5 wire design and you need to change all your components to use the standard 3 wire servos; since the receiver/tx combo sucks. and not to mention the steering links always break because they are made from Lexan or the steering rack has so much freakin' slop. also, complaining about oil filled shocks for something that cost 150 on a 1/18... x-ray m18 did not come with oil shocks even aftermarket xray did not offer them, micro rs4 1/18 does not come with oil shocks; those kits cost more and still don't come with oil shocks. I am going to buy one of these, seems solid.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM
turok007

traxxas should be praying this release is a massive hit so it overshadows there other new release. lol
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Aibus320

I joined this site specifically to comment on this thread. Although I have not read every single reply, the vast majority of the initial comments in the thread start sound like a bunch of whining. I mean, give me a break...do you really take a 1/18 RC Car THAT seriously?!
I just bought one of these last month and absolutely love it. Already upgraded the shocks and bought the 6c battery. The thing screams and is practiaclly unbreakable...so far. So what's the big deal? Don't like it...don't buy it! However, I would highly recommend. LOTS of fun in a small package!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:57 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are 2 years late.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by Aibus320
I joined this site specifically to comment on this thread. Although I have not read every single reply, the vast majority of the initial comments in the thread start sound like a bunch of whining. I mean, give me a break...do you really take a 1/18 RC Car THAT seriously?!
I just bought one of these last month and absolutely love it. Already upgraded the shocks and bought the 6c battery. The thing screams and is practiaclly unbreakable...so far. So what's the big deal? Don't like it...don't buy it! However, I would highly recommend. LOTS of fun in a small package!
Negativity is a trend in this hobby and I to get sick and tired of hearing the same old quips. If people can point out actual problems with something then I am all ears, but most of the time I see people just following the trend and adding nothing of value to discussions. It's the main reason I only bash with one other friend who has a similar outlook as I do. Glad to hear you're having fun with your purchase, that's what it's all about.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^that is so true....
Old 04-11-2015, 06:43 AM
DieHarder

I read the whole thread and all it's replies. I can understand most of their points such as the friction shocks and slicks. I did research before I bought my Losi 1/24 SCT Brushless. I even went to the LHS just to hold it and check it out in person. I liked it for the looks and the specs, and for the specs, the price wasn't too far overpriced IMO. You're right though, negativity is something in excess on most RC forums. I personally dislike Traxxas vehicles and quite a few of their products because I've been ripped off a few too many times before joining RCU and discovering other brands of lower price for equal or more to what Traxxas sells. The only things I buy from Traxxas these days are hardware and their VXL systems(which I get discounted through Dollar Hobbies). I tend to do tons of research before I buy any RC so that I make the right choice and maximize my fun. It's good that a newb can buy one of these 1/18 "Rally" cars and have loads of fun, but for someone whose driven the cheaply built stuff, modded it, been there, done that, I think they are the ones who go through and make sure they're getting the most bang for their buck. And most of the users who commented here are experienced with 5+ years in the hobby, so that explains their attitude toward the release. I honestly agree with them on most of what was said, not because I'm following the trend, but because I feel the way they do, due to the level of knowledge and experience I have in the hobby, and because of that, I want to get the most for my money.
Originally Posted by Large Larry
Negativity is a trend in this hobby and I to get sick and tired of hearing the same old quips. If people can point out actual problems with something then I am all ears, but most of the time I see people just following the trend and adding nothing of value to discussions. It's the main reason I only bash with one other friend who has a similar outlook as I do. Glad to hear you're having fun with your purchase, that's what it's all about.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 PM
jkjuk

but that's what is crap syco...they have the money to develop something new and awesome........but they don't. They reuse stuff, and now even worse, pawning off something less than great and slap some traxxas stickers on it.

Last edited by jkjuk; 04-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.