Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Freewing A-10 1.7M Turbine Conversion 2 x P20-SX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Freewing A-10 1.7M Turbine Conversion 2 x P20-SX

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM
janmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Unfortunately I don't believe Tamjets is in business any longer (from other thread in this forum)
Maybe Grumania could make a set of pipes ?
I'm sure Henke could produce conversion kits, including pipes, for this model.

The A-10 has sold tons and is one of FWs most popular EDF jets, so I would assume there could be a decent market for this.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by janmb
I'm sure Henke could produce conversion kits, including pipes, for this model.

The A-10 has sold tons and is one of FWs most popular EDF jets, so I would assume there could be a decent market for this.
That would be fantastic. I'd be happy to pay for an airframe for him to use to produce the kit !
Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I would be buying a set��
Old 12-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I might do a kit. If anyone want to bounce a kit via me I can make the conversion kit and then forward airframe. Would cost quite a bit in shipping though. Option 2, wait until I do my own A10, which I can not promise when.

I can also supply CAD services if given good sketches aka photos with a ruler included for size. "We" as in my LHS or the Swedish jet gang or what to call us also makes thrust tubes. I do CAD work, LHS has a router and CS turbine service spins funnels and welds the tubes.

If we can agree on a pipe length I think I can do the G10 parts just on photos. Finding a fuel tank can not be too hard, just get it via Sandor?!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM
janmb

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
I might do a kit. If anyone want to bounce a kit via me I can make the conversion kit and then forward airframe. Would cost quite a bit in shipping though. Option 2, wait until I do my own A10, which I can not promise when.

I can also supply CAD services if given good sketches aka photos with a ruler included for size. "We" as in my LHS or the Swedish jet gang or what to call us also makes thrust tubes. I do CAD work, LHS has a router and CS turbine service spins funnels and welds the tubes.

If we can agree on a pipe length I think I can do the G10 parts just on photos. Finding a fuel tank can not be too hard, just get it via Sandor?!
I have a suggestion, lets talk on facebook or somewhere more interactive
Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

For those of us in the U.S, most economical for shipping would be to just buy the pipes and formers as we can get the fuel tank stuff here.

Behzad
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Carlos CMjets made the tanks for the A-10 they are ready to order.
you just need to make the pipes and engine mounts.
and if you are really in the mood jetcat extension leads!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 AM
janmb

What are your experience this far? Any heat damage / popcorning anywhere? I particular thinking vert stabs / horizontal.

Did you use the default 80mm nacelles or the 90mm version?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:33 PM
digitech

What are your experience this far? Any heat damage / popcorning anywhere? I particular thinking vert stabs / horizontal.

Did you use the default 80mm nacelles or the 90mm version?

a bit of damage when i flooded my left engine and made a few bubbles on the left elevator.
nacelles are fine they dont even get hot or warm , mine are the stock 80mm more then enough
Old 12-20-2017, 12:36 PM
janmb

Originally Posted by digitech
a bit of damage when i flooded my left engine and made a few bubbles on the left elevator.
nacelles are fine they dont even get hot or warm , mine are the stock 80mm more then enough
Sounds great.

And your thrust line is currently at 5 degrees up, relative to the nacelle center-line?

Think I will aim for a tad more than that if you say you still get a good bit of negative thrust/pitch coupling. (curved thrust tubes may be the way to go here I think)
Old 12-20-2017, 12:39 PM
digitech

Sounds great.

And your thrust line is currently at 5 degrees up, relative to the nacelle center-line?

Think I will aim for a tad more than that if you say you still get a good bit of negative thrust/pitch coupling. (curved thrust tubes may be the way to go here I think)
wouldnt use that just use a bit of scrap tube and point it upwarts , i have about 5 degrees , i think 6 or 7 will do also since mine still wants to nose down a little on full power.
i pointed the tube up from center maintube line and turbine all level with nacelle.
i tried to point tube upwarts and engine also but you run out of space fast
Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 PM
janmb

wouldnt use that just use a bit of scrap tube and point it upwarts , i have about 5 degrees , i think 6 or 7 will do also since mine still wants to nose down a little on full power.
i pointed the tube up from center maintube line and turbine all level with nacelle.
i tried to point tube upwarts and engine also but you run out of space fast
Indeed. I think the optimal solution here would be to mount the turbine in the nacelle center-line (all forward) and use a pipe that starts off at the same line and curves at the aft end. Should provide both best possible airflow (cooling), look good, as well as provide enough thrust vectoring.

I'm probably getting a kit made for the 90mm nacelles sometime next year so will have to see how it turns out.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM
digitech

Indeed. I think the optimal solution here would be to mount the turbine in the nacelle center-line (all forward) and use a pipe that starts off at the same line and curves at the aft end. Should provide both best possible airflow (cooling), look good, as well as provide enough thrust vectoring.

I'm probably getting a kit made for the 90mm nacelles sometime next year so will have to see how it turns out.
dont make it to expensive no need for curved thrust pipes , i can fly it on one engine only!
i even taken off on one since i forgot to let the right engine come to idle so when i applied full throttle the second engine did not respond since the ecu did not release it yet.

you will love it

if anyone is interested i am getting a P-20 from a friend 30 hours total but has been back at 25 hours( Bearing changed) with a troubled combustion chamber , that is now fixed.
turbine runs great and i am selling cheap!
if interested send me a mail on sandor at digitech dot nl

Last edited by digitech; 12-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:54 PM
janmb

dont make it to expensive no need for curved thrust pipes , i can fly it on one engine only!
i even taken off on one since i forgot to let the right engine come to idle so when i applied full throttle the second engine did not respond since the ecu did not release it yet.

you will love it
I'm sure it works fine, just trying to get it as perfect as possible when I first put the effort into converting. The tubes aren't really the relevant worry when it comes to expenses anyway lol

I'll let Henke play around with it when I get the motor housing shipped to him. The 90mm housing should also have a bit more room to exploit, so might indeed get away with straight tubes.

No disaster to have a bit of coupling neither - perfectly normal for A-10 models. As long as the pilot is aware it is generally not an issue.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM
digitech

I'm sure it works fine, just trying to get it as perfect as possible when I first put the effort into converting. The tubes aren't really the relevant worry when it comes to expenses anyway lol

I'll let Henke play around with it when I get the motor housing shipped to him. The 90mm housing should also have a bit more room to exploit, so might indeed get away with straight tubes.

No disaster to have a bit of coupling neither - perfectly normal for A-10 models. As long as the pilot is aware it is generally not an issue.
well you need a lot of rudder when one engine is on idle :-)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:00 PM
janmb

well you need a lot of rudder when one engine is on idle :-)
I was still talking about pitch, not yaw.

Single engine operations is another topic entirely

And yeah, I would imagine you needed a lot on that takeoff lol. Probably far less of an issue if you get a single side flameout during normal flight (where you already have speed/altitude and don't need to use a lot of throttle)

I have an SU-35 that I have flown on single engine too, works, but needs a good bit of rudder indeed. Still better than not having any engine at all
Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 PM
digitech

I was still talking about pitch, not yaw.

Single engine operations is another topic entirely

And yeah, I would imagine you needed a lot on that takeoff lol. Probably far less of an issue if you get a single side flameout during normal flight (where you already have speed/altitude and don't need to use a lot of throttle)

I have an SU-35 that I have flown on single engine too, works, but needs a good bit of rudder indeed. Still better than not having any engine at all

a10 really flies nice and forgiving , very smooth to land.
you will like it , and that for a fraction of the mibo one , and easyer to replace foam
good luck
Old 12-20-2017, 01:05 PM
janmb

a10 really flies nice and forgiving , very smooth to land.
you will like it , and that for a fraction of the mibo one , and easyer to replace foam
good luck
I have 158 flights on mine this far, so yes, I know :P Completely agree too - it flies like a trainer really.

Which is also kind of what justifies spending so much on upgrading it - it is a very nice every day model that I fly completely relaxed and in all weather conditions. Also very nice to transport and store compared to larger models.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Henke Torphammar

This is how 4 degrees look. I estimated 85mm tube length 300mm from motor mount to rear exhaust.

This would be possible, specially on the 90mm housing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	wJ35CKL.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	2248210

You can do amazingthings with turbines and foam, even I get surprised from time to time how little of a problem the heat is. Here the Yak130, it needed 10+10degrees which also helped deflect the exhaust from the stab. With this setup thrust line is so good you can tail slide it
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 PM
digitech

This is how 4 degrees look. I estimated 85mm tube length 300mm from motor mount to rear exhaust.

This would be possible, specially on the 90mm housing.
Attachment 2248210

You can do amazingthings with turbines and foam, even I get surprised from time to time how little of a problem the heat is. Here the Yak130, it needed 10+10degrees which also helped deflect the exhaust from the stab.

will look terrible in the front , since the starter is terrible off centre.
butthe drawing is nice
Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 AM
Henke Torphammar

will look terrible in the front , since the starter is terrible off centre.
butthe drawing is nice
Only a sample sketch

How did you manage your thrust angle with engines sitting in center?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:48 AM
digitech

Only a sample sketch

How did you manage your thrust angle with engines sitting in center?

like i said i centered the thrustpipe all the way thru the last former , then i cut 2 pieces of pipe and made a 5 degree vector and placed them with 2 small m3 screws so i can still alter the degrees.
there is no powerloss , infact with 2 p-20 is still overpowered i think
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM
janmb

like i said i centered the thrustpipe all the way thru the last former , then i cut 2 pieces of pipe and made a 5 degree vector and placed them with 2 small m3 screws so i can still alter the degrees.
there is no powerloss , infact with 2 p-20 is still overpowered i think
Something like that might be a good idea for my project as well, since we clearly have no way of ensuring we get the angle right on the first try.

I'm a big fan of having the turbine mounted according to the nacelles, both in terms of looks as well as letting air equally in on all sides. Blocking one side by having the turbine mounted very much off center will necessarily kill some cooling on that side.

Don't get me wrong, I have enough experience with converted foamies that I am not whining about heat problems like a lot of people might, but it still doesn't hurt to do it as "right" as possible.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:33 PM
digitech

let me take some pictures tommorow of the backsides you can see what i did
Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM
janmb

let me take some pictures tommorow of the backsides you can see what i did
That would be very appreciated indeed, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.