Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kavalier

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kavalier

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'd bet that nearly everyone here has done that same thing at least once. I know that I did - in 2 different places on the fuse - on my Stratus. Embarrassing to do it once - how do you explain TWICE?
Hi Dave, I did it again right next to the place that i repaired saturday and today I found another light area to fill. This wing doesnt like me at all ha but its coming along good. I made some progress with Kavalier too as I made the dihedral prop block to rest the wing panel on when I glue it together. I also started to plane off the leading edge to make the sheeting fit!Thanks Michael
Old 01-29-2018, 09:16 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, you doing the dihedral as per plans or flattening it?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 AM
mkjohnston

Hi Dave, I am planing to set it up just like it says in the plans as I am not much of an expermenter here! Michael
Old 04-29-2018, 06:46 PM
mkjohnston

Hi Dave, well after a delay of more than month and two crashes of two my airplanes I finally got the wing joined and ready to be sheeted! I made a new building board out of a sheet of plywood which is about 20 inches wide by 6 foot long. I cut out some 5/8 drywall and screwed it to the top section of my new board yesterday and today its setting on my bench with a brand new Train Aire .20 fuselage that my friend Eddie Taylor cut out for me at Lazer Works here in Wichita Falls TX. check out his website on line: Lazer Works - Engraving & Design He has a lot of old time short kits for sale on his site.
He has been giving me some tips on my Kavalier and has been very helpful. I ve also got the firewall glued together and ready to assemble maybe at the end of this week. I would like to cover this airplane just like it is on the lid of the box but I dont have any idea what to do on the bottom of the wing. Like I said before I will be powering this with a brand 35 and I do have a .46 for another project that should get off in a month. I am going to check with some Autopaint people in town and see if that can match my MonoKote colors. This is going to be a great airplane for me.
Michael Johnston
Old 04-30-2018, 04:04 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds great.

If Claude McCullough designed it with dihedral I'd use it; he was a well-known, widely published and prolific designer. Also, it's a low wing plane, so to avoid negative roll coupling it makes sense it would need some.

Edit...Oops, I was thinking Kobra, if this the Kavalier, it's mid-wing, of course; different story, should be fine either way.

Jim

Last edited by buzzard bait; 04-30-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:02 PM
442dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back to the build!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:10 PM
jimharley

I built my first Kavalier when I was 12...wore it out, built a 2nd and flew it nearly 10 years until I found girls . Fast forward to 2016 and I built this, and happy to see you could still buy balsa kits. At 46, this is by far one of the most fun airplanes to own and fly. All 3 were converted to taildraggers...my early ones had OS 60s...this one has an OS 40. Fun machine, great build.

Jim

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/105474195@N05/, on Flickr

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/105474195@N05/, on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27179299957_fb60dac9da_z.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2260417   Click image for larger version

Name:	40241665440_2e1fd891c8_z.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2260418  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:45 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by jimharley
I built my first Kavalier when I was 12...wore it out, built a 2nd and flew it nearly 10 years until I found girls . Fast forward to 2016 and I built this, and happy to see you could still buy balsa kits. At 46, this is by far one of the most fun airplanes to own and fly. All 3 were converted to taildraggers...my early ones had OS 60s...this one has an OS 40. Fun machine, great build.

Jim

Attachment 2260419
Kavalier1 by jim harley, on Flickr

Attachment 2260420
Kavalier2 by jim harley, on Flickr
Hi Jim did you finish the engine cowl? I had a Kadet 40 years ago and I didn't finish the cowl as i had no way of painting it at the time. I am going to try and find some paint to match the scheme on the box and cover it in Monokote.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM
jimharley

Years ago, on my first Kavalier I made the cowling, but it rattled apart after 1 season. Once it started cracking it was all over. I never bothered to make them for the other 2.

Jim
Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM
mkjohnston

i think my cowl broke on my Kadet back then and I just threw it away. I was thinking about doing a custom cockpit with a fancy dash and a pilot but its still in the planing stages right now.
Michael
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM
mkjohnston

I have this laying on my new building boarding getting ready to sheet it! yeah I finally figured out how to load pictures here! Michael
Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM
mkjohnston

I took some time to try and rebuild my Train Aire 20 and I have decided to put it away and fin this build now! I had a wing and fuse parts pack made by Eddie Taylor at Action Hobbies here in Wichita Falls tx. I think Eddie does really good work here and he has tips on how to build an RC airplane correctly
here is a picture of my new fuse laying on the board so I will post some new pictures once I get the top half sheeted and I hope to be flying this airplane in two Weeks Michael
Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 289 Likes on 247 Posts

Some of those pieces look like they have termites!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Some of those pieces look like they have termites!
Hi FlyerInOkc, Have you ever been to Eddies shop down here in Wichita Falls Tx. You about 125 miles north of this area. check out his website he might have something you need, Lazer Works - Engraving & Design. it just takes a drive of 2 hrs to get here and its not hard to find either! He cut the doubler out of light plywood and it went together fast I need to get it together soon!
Michael
Old 05-21-2018, 07:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi FlyerInOkc, Have you ever been to Eddies shop down here in Wichita Falls Tx. You about 125 miles north of this area. check out his website he might have something you need, Lazer Works - Engraving & Design. it just takes a drive of 2 hrs to get here and its not hard to find either! He cut the doubler out of light plywood and it went together fast I need to get it together soon!
Michael
Hi Michael, I have seen Eddie's website but I don't get south very often, my kids live in Kansas. Eddie does have a nice selection of designs and I hear his work is great. Lately I have been using Balsa Workbench over in Missouri to do some custom cutting for me. Rob has not been charging me for converting my pdf plans to cut files since he thinks he'll get other orders in the long run. He also already has the rib designs (and the plans he created) to replace the Ace foam and Ace mini foam cores my Fun Scale designs required. I have two grandsons from Kansas due to spend a week at our place and I hope to teach at least one to build. I'll use one of the Fun Scale airplanes or order one of Rob's RCM Wizard short kits. It's a bargain at $35. I have some old 72 mHz gear and all I would need to buy is a motor and battery to get him started.

Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 11:44 AM
mkjohnston

He Mike, Eddie does have a collection of different airplanes to build that is a fact. I took the plans for my train air 20 to him a month ago and that was the fuse you saw in my picture that I posted. He has been real help with my building as its not that great but it is getting better. I hope to have the train air flying soon along with my Kavalier and about 10 airplanes in my stash now.
I learned to fly RC up in a little town in South East Kansas in the late 70's and its been such a great hobby for me! I just recently got back in after a 10 year hiatus. I was flying my train air and i bought some extra RXs and binded them to my Futaba TX and I hit the reset button and it wiped out all the programing such as servo rotation direction epa's and DR and it went crashed right in front of me and then I tore up my A-ray which was balanced wrong. take care
Michael
Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

We all seem to learn the hard way. I know I did!

I was out of the hobby from about 1980 until 2004. The change in radios along with the drop in prices totally blew my mind. I had an original NIB Open rocker arm OS Max .60 4 cycle (serial no. 5) I had saved when I got out the hobby in 1980 and sold it to a collector in 2004 to return to the hobby. It had been the only thing I kept. It financed my radio, engine, first airplane kit, and flight box set. I still fly that airplane too!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:06 AM
mkjohnston

I had two 6 channel controls that I had bought in the mid 90s and I had moved to Houston Texas in 1997 and I tried to continue flying down there and it was too expensive to join a club and drive almost 30 miles one way to get to a field.So my RC airplane hobby went on the back burner for about 10 years.In 2010 I got into RC nitro powered off road cars and played with them for awhile. I liked building them more than driving them and still have one car left which for the time being is a shelf queen.
In 2015 I moved to Wichita Falls tx form Houston which was a nice change for me and my wife and kid. I got a new 8 channel Futaba 2.4 tx last summer and put it in my train air with my max 25 and started flying again after a 10 year hiatus. I started collected kits and now have about 10 setting here waiting to be built and 6 RX's and batteries. My nitro engine collection has grown to about 10 engines.
Michael
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't want to admit how many projects I have waiting in the wings! I have collected a few glow engines, everything from a .10 up to a S3000 Super Tigre.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Michael, I have seen Eddie's website but I don't get south very often, my kids live in Kansas. Eddie does have a nice selection of designs and I hear his work is great. Lately I have been using Balsa Workbench over in Missouri to do some custom cutting for me. Rob has not been charging me for converting my pdf plans to cut files since he thinks he'll get other orders in the long run. He also already has the rib designs (and the plans he created) to replace the Ace foam and Ace mini foam cores my Fun Scale designs required. I have two grandsons from Kansas due to spend a week at our place and I hope to teach at least one to build. I'll use one of the Fun Scale airplanes or order one of Rob's RCM Wizard short kits. It's a bargain at $35. I have some old 72 mHz gear and all I would need to buy is a motor and battery to get him started.

Mike
Hey Mike thanks for mentioning Balsa Workbench. I reached out to Rob about an RCM glider I'd like to build and he's taking a look at it. Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Which glider? I have him looking at several designs for a Fournier RF4 powered glider, one is RCM and the other is a German design 15 to 29 power. It's funny he had just cut the RCM Fun Scale Sopwith Triplane and he had a nother guy order one right afterwards. He says that doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Which glider? I have him looking at several designs for a Fournier RF4 powered glider, one is RCM and the other is a German design 15 to 29 power. It's funny he had just cut the RCM Fun Scale Sopwith Triplane and he had a nother guy order one right afterwards. He says that doesn't happen very often.
The Durex V from the late 70's.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi Michael, Just found your thread. Early on you mentioned finding paint for the Kavalier cowl. If you happen to need red, yellow or white I happen to have some catalyzed automotive paint that is left over from my Staggerwing build.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 PM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Hi Michael, Just found your thread. Early on you mentioned finding paint for the Kavalier cowl. If you happen to need red, yellow or white I happen to have some catalyzed automotive paint that is left over from my Staggerwing build.
Hi Matt, I would be interested in your paint for my Kavalier cowl. I have red and white and blue monkote that I would like to cover this airplane with It will be awhile before I get this ready but hopefully soon I will get back to you soon.
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Pork Chop
The Durex V from the late 70's.
Nice looking glider but a little big for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.