Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Phoenix Waco 61cc

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 05:39 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the CG with the fuel tank empty . Sounds like your tail heavy
Old 07-12-2021, 05:57 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Can you clarify regarding "10 degrees stab movement."
Old 08-19-2021, 02:24 AM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm putting a UMS 7-90 in my new Waco as soon as I get it broken in completely. Such a great engine.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Hyjinx

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Godhelper
Ahhrr, that will cost You a new prop
I haven't mounted a spinner on my Waco as I think it's blocking the view to my radial engine.

Happy flying!
LolI use the AT texan round nose style on my radial.
Just leave the cowl off. Improves visibility of the radial.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:22 PM
RadialWacko

rcuniverse. com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11682344-beware-phoenix-models-planes.html

This thread has my worried... (delete the space between the .com because rcuniverse won't let me post links)

Has anyone experienced or know of any similar situations?? I am going to be removing the bottom covering from all four of my wings tonight and reinforcing suspect areas and patching up with ultracote. No way I'm putting a $2000 radial engine in this plane until I look it over after seeing that picture!! :/
Old 08-19-2021, 02:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

I'd put a radial engine on mine today, it's got many flights on it with no issues and I'm not thrashing on it but I'm not coddling it either.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:02 PM
RadialWacko

I'm now two wings in (bottom) which by the other persons account, sounds like was where the issue started in the bottom wings just distal to the aluminum tubing reinforcements. So that's my main focus. I haven't seen anything uphauling yet, but certainly somewhat concerning... I will be much more at ease with some reinfroced balsa/epoxy in some of these joints. I am going over the hard to reach places with epoxy. The thing that scares me is that I am also building a BAe Hawk with a turbine as well!!! I haven't read anything about that being faulty thus far though. I did just finish assembling the Phoenix SBACH and was impressed with most of it. It is odd that the construction date of some of my models were years ago and yet they were on backorder at tower hobbies?? How does that work? Hopefully the posts from that thread were previous year models and not current to the date of the posts....

imgur. com/a/2FpogKM

(space in the .com because of RC Universe rules)
Old 08-19-2021, 03:03 PM
RadialWacko

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I'd put a radial engine on mine today, it's got many flights on it with no issues and I'm not thrashing on it but I'm not coddling it either.
That is reassuring to hear, thank you. I certinaly see what you mean after doing surgery. It's not horrible, but it's far from perfect.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only got a G-62 in mine but it has 2 speeds; Wide open and idle. Bank and Yank, pylon turns, snap rolls, spins, etc. No issues noted.
The following users liked this post:
RadialWacko (10-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:12 PM
CK1

I'm not easy on mine . A semi- scale plane that isn't able to be put through semi-scale maneuvers it's not worth keeping .
Correction : I beat the hell out of mine , nothing has failed yet . Fingers crossed !!
RadialWacko (10-19-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:46 PM
RadialWacko

The other reason I opened up my wings... Lights!!

Old 08-26-2021, 05:20 PM
RadialWacko

Well that was a ride of the lifetime! Look what I got to fly in the right seat today. So much motivation instilled today. Radials are AMAZING!! Got to do some straight and level with a couple turns in.

Last edited by RadialWacko; 08-26-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:24 PM
RadialWacko

If you were wondering why the last post...
This is the radial I'm putting in my Phoenix Waco. Radials are just amazing. Glad I got some right seat time with one before I put mine in the dirt.
The following 2 users liked this post by RadialWacko:
capt1597 (10-20-2021), Godhelper (08-27-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 07:57 PM
RadialWacko

K... So as I'm moving forward, I stole the idea to use the machine screws. But along the way I completely and ever lovingly *^@%ed up the cowling on one of the landing gear. So I ended up making it right by sealing it up with ultrakote and epoxy mixed with white acrylic. Looks great!!

If there is any advice I would give to anyone building this plane in the future... the biggest thing are these dam cowls. Cut them and then mount them BEFORE gluing/screwing them to the fusealage. Got the firewall paintined metallic and got a coat of epoxy on it. It looks and feels amazing. The picture doesn't do it justice. I'm half tempted to leave the cowl off, but I have fiberglass cloth ready to reinforce the inside of the cowl with. So, I'll stick with that plan...

I am going to put a smoke system on with my 7 cylinder radial. Anyone have any recommendations on tank orientation? I think side by side 24oz tanks along the y axis is what's going to be the most practical.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:00 PM
RadialWacko

This thing is going to be so fun! I'm building a Phoenix Hawk (turbine) at the same time, so I'm going kinda slow... But check it out!

Just have to epoxy the baffles, finish the smoke system and program the radio and it will be ready! Kinda nervous about the baffles, really don't want to mess that up since I really didn't leave a ton of room for error with them all be custom for each specific spot. I think I'm going to have to use super glue to tack them into place and then take the cowl off to epoxy them. I originally didn't think I needed baffles but I'm pretty convinced now that they are essential with this engine.

But I'm SUPER happy with the lights from Dave's RC Electronics. The strobe is really awesome and the controllable landing lights are really fun and look amazing on this plane with the recess in the wing for them. Makes me want to do some flying at dusk.

One of the wing strut aluminum mounts was bent in the opposite side for some reason and they sent a while entire new strut kit to me right away even though the website says they are out of stock. Definitely reassuring for towers customer service, but entirely unnecessary overkill to solve the problem. Could have just made my own piece, but now I have extra pins and stuff so that's good to have for having lots of small pieces off and on at the field.

Last edited by RadialWacko; 10-19-2021 at 05:31 PM.
capt1597 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:29 PM
RadialWacko

Had to put some silver on the wings. I can't stand bottom and top being the same color on rc planes.
capt1597 (10-20-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 09:46 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radial

Originally Posted by RadialWacko
This thing is going to be so fun! I'm building a Phoenix Hawk (turbine) at the same time, so I'm going kinda slow... But check it out!

Just have to epoxy the baffles, finish the smoke system and program the radio and it will be ready! Kinda nervous about the baffles, really don't want to mess that up since I really didn't leave a ton of room for error with them all be custom for each specific spot. I think I'm going to have to use super glue to tack them into place and then take the cowl off to epoxy them. I originally didn't think I needed baffles but I'm pretty convinced now that they are essential with this engine.

But I'm SUPER happy with the lights from Dave's RC Electronics. The strobe is really awesome and the controllable landing lights are really fun and look amazing on this plane with the recess in the wing for them. Makes me want to do some flying at dusk.

One of the wing strut aluminum mounts was bent in the opposite side for some reason and they sent a while entire new strut kit to me right away even though the website says they are out of stock. Definitely reassuring for towers customer service, but entirely unnecessary overkill to solve the problem. Could have just made my own piece, but now I have extra pins and stuff so that's good to have for having lots of small pieces off and on at the field.

I'm building the same setup as you with the UMS 7-90 radial. I'm no stranger to radials and their heat and baffling, I have a couple Saito radials, but this is my first UMS one. I read in the manual of the engine that you aren't supposed to cover up those exhaust tubes going into the ring muffler at all cause you could burn up the exhaust valves. I'm going to just leave mine open without baffles, but I am concerned about the exit air. It seems like there is much more air going in than going out in your photos. Have you run the engine yet in the cowl and checked temps?

I'm waiting for my plane, it is backordered on Tower and won't be here till February so I'm just doing some research now on how to best get this engine installed and cooled properly. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:07 PM
RadialWacko

Originally Posted by Timbers
I'm building the same setup as you with the UMS 7-90 radial. I'm no stranger to radials and their heat and baffling, I have a couple Saito radials, but this is my first UMS one. I read in the manual of the engine that you aren't supposed to cover up those exhaust tubes going into the ring muffler at all cause you could burn up the exhaust valves. I'm going to just leave mine open without baffles, but I am concerned about the exit air. It seems like there is much more air going in than going out in your photos. Have you run the engine yet in the cowl and checked temps?

I'm waiting for my plane, it is backordered on Tower and won't be here till February so I'm just doing some research now on how to best get this engine installed and cooled properly. Thanks.
I have run it on the ground in the cowl. Certainly warm, but not that crazy.

I can understand your concerns for the space for air to escape. I mounted the engine directly to the stock firewall and I think there is sufficient space. But if that's a concern you would have more than enough space if you mounted the engine on an extra piece of plywood to offset it.

I'm not sure about the exhaust ring. I'm pretty torn on that. Because with no baffles you get less air, less air is less cooling. So I'm not sure I follow that logic. Seems like a blanket statement that depends on the airframe.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a cool airplane!
Old 03-14-2022, 04:38 AM
Salukijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke tank

What size smoke tank and fuel tank are you guys using? I’ve got a DLE 60 going in the airplane but just trying to gather all the supplies before I get to building. Still have a small build going but I don’t want to have much down time between builds.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2022, 05:09 AM
CK1

I have an RCGF 70 twin in mine and use 24oz tanks for both smoke and fuel . I could actually get by with a 16oz tank for fuel and still get plenty of flight time .
Salukijet (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 05:36 AM
Salukijet

Thanks! I’m hoping to get started on it in a week or so, Fingers crossed!
Old 05-14-2022, 07:28 PM
sbb

I have SAITO FG-90R3 installed in WACO, but I plan to replace it with FG-73R5 because it is overpowered.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:10 AM
Salukijet

Default Control horns

Ok I’m well into this build finally and come to find out I’m missing two control horns for the elevators….. anybody have a solution for this? I’ve looked at phoenix website and tried to order new ones but end up at a dead end. I have a set of Dubro HD horns on the way but really didn’t want to use them….
Old 05-31-2023, 04:31 AM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Did you try asking Horizon Hobby support? Phoenix isn't very responsive from my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.