Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TGA Topcat / Jetcat P-80 Combo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TGA Topcat / Jetcat P-80 Combo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 02:12 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TGA Topcat / Jetcat P-80 Combo

It's great here. Tell her you want to take a vacation to Northern CA, you know San Francisco, Yosemite then maybe Lake Tahoe. When she asks why you are bringing all of your stuff say someone wants to buy you out . Then on the way to Yosemite (not really) as you drive south from San Jose pull into the Tomcats field and say this is where you are meeting the buyer. He didn't show up but you might as well fly anyway! Of course you might only have your jets to keep you company after this little stunt. Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:48 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ill make it someday!! I guarentee it!!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:29 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sandman, how about an update?

Bob
Old 05-20-2002, 12:55 PM
sandman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a touch of the flu so I was out of it for a while but I was able to work on it a couple hours a night. I still don't have the digital camera yet to show any pictures. The whole airframe is complete, all the flying surfaces are finished and final sanded. I just have to decide if I a'm going to cover them with iron on or glass. The Dynamax bolted right to the P-80 mount and the tuned pipe mount hangs from the horizontal stabilizer, pretty neat set up. I also have all the servo openings in all the flying surfaces. I talked with TGA and they suggested the following servos for the Topcat JR 2721s for wings, JR 8411 for elevator and JR DS3301s for rudders. They had them in stock and at prices lower than anywhere I looked on the net. One Stop Shopping... I like that. All in All, I am very happy with the kit, it builds extremely fast ,is well thought out and looks really Cool. The one thing I was worried about was the instructions and had hoped that they were as good as the new ones that came with my friends new TGA Ultra Eagle III, Well I was not disappointed, The manual was great. TGA has come a long way, I called TGA a couple of times for suggestions and they were always very helpful. I see on their Web site that the Topcat / Jetcat special will be ending,, Anybody that wants to get into turbines with a Jetcat and wants to do it at the lowest price anywhere can't go wrong with that combo deal. I'm glad I did. All that is left for me to do is mount all the servos etc. I a'm trying to decide how to place the items needed for D/F operation and the P-80 operation too, so I can switch them out the fastest way. Man is this exiting. Oh I did make a stand for the P-80 and started and run it a couple times... all I can say is OHHHHH...Baby I can/t wait.
(I had the neighbors over once I ran it the first time). Well I'm working on getting a camera. Ill give you another up date later.
Paul
Old 06-04-2002, 07:27 PM
sandman-RCU

I got to use a buddy's digital camera and quickly shot these pics before we went to our towns Memorial Day parade.
The Dynamax unit bolts ridht on and I drilled the mounting holes for the P-80 at the same time. There is very little work in the fuse to place the components for D/f use, but I am setting up for the P-8O installation at the same time.
Everything fit fine and built fast. The D/f installation requires a round sullivan 4oz header tank that fits right in front of and below the fan unit and a 32 oz or larger tank on the C/G.
I'm glassing the flying surfaces now.
Thats all for now,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13228_8199.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	6891  
Old 06-04-2002, 07:28 PM
sandman-RCU

Here is the second Pic
Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13229_8199.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6892  
Old 06-04-2002, 08:21 PM
dneisler
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a byron fan work on this better? I am building a enforcer now and would like to get something that I can convert to turbine to someday soon get my waiver.

Donald
Old 06-05-2002, 02:09 AM
sandman-RCU

I talked to Mr.Gray at TGA when I was ordering the kit and he told me that he helped customers mount both the Dynamax and Byron pusher fan units on the back of the Topcat kit with the P-80 sized turbine mount. Give TGA a call at 815 433-6132 or go to their Web Site www.tgajets.com and ask them. They are very customer service oriented and will give you any info you need.
Paul