Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thunderbirds crash video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thunderbirds crash video

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:23 AM
John Palmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunderbirds crash video

The ground was coming up FAST
ORIGINAL: CJ2002

What caused him to bang out?

Cheers,

Dick
England
Old 12-13-2003, 04:35 AM
CJ2002

[quote]ORIGINAL: John Palmer

The ground was coming up FAST

Smart ass, I never thought of that!!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:13 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Leon,
It looks like they have been removed from both sites. I'll e-mail it to you. Send me your address.
Regards,
Jon
Old 12-13-2003, 09:51 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

can someone provide a link to the video? (none of previously posted still work)[&o]

THANX!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Mi-25

Default RE: It was pilot error

Jon
where can I find that video of the Thunderbirds crash?.......it's not where you said it was
thanks, Leon
Old 12-15-2003, 01:41 PM
earlheron

Default RE: Look how low

To realdeal:

Thanks for posting this image! Since my computer doesn't read mpgs this still is the only chance I had to see an image of this event. Note that there are many interesting details of this shared at
http://www.f-16.net/index.php?name=P...iewtopic&t=126

Earl Heron
http://www.jjetspress.com
Old 12-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Earl is right on with F-16.net thread.......

On Page 7 of the thread, the post by Stricklin's former C.O., LtC. Bert Dreher at the 1st Fighter Squadron sums it up quite succinctly.....he did incorrect math for the field elevation setting his apex altitude....and his ground backup didn't notice the error as Stricklin called out his altitude at the apex.....and he pulled it off without injury to himself or spectators......just another 30 million or so added to the Thunderbird budget.....

Still a nasty couple of mistakes that would probably cost most airline captains and CO's their job i.e. trashing their bird.....I know that when those 2 North Central Airlines dudes broke out of the low overcast and landed their DC-9 at 4500 ft Runway 36 at Fond du Lac, rather than 6500 ft Runway 36 at Oshkosh, 18 miles due north, their wings were clipped before they hit the tarmac....flew in a special crew to fly the plane back out.....and they didn't even put a scratch on the plane or passengers....

The f.16.net thread, as well as the F-16 Aerodynamic Reads in Code One Magazine are excellent resources......as is the 1 hour program on Discovery Wings program that chronicles allot of the flight testing of the Fly by Wire.....Convincingly demonstrates that an F-16 that has departed slow is no place you want to be without Hal backing you up...shows one of the test pilots regaining control from a stall without HAL, taking up most of 25.000 ft before finally recovering from a stall entered from a vertical upline, then pitchover, followed by the departure.....in cockpit video shows one wild ride....

Tom
Old 12-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still a nasty couple of mistakes that would probably cost most airline captains and CO's their job i.e. trashing their bird
I don't agree :

1. These pilots are the best among the best ;

2. When flying aerobatics with an F16, you are BY FAR more liable to dig your aircraft than when you fly a B757 or whatever...

Only few people have the ability o/ are asked to enter the thunderbirds team... That does not mean these pilots won't do any error, an error is always possible, ...
Old 12-15-2003, 05:55 PM
earlheron

Another interesting thread of a historical nature:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...mi.net&rnum=16

Earl Heron
Old 12-16-2003, 08:36 AM
kunwon1

I'm not a regular poster on this site, but I just wanted to fill you all in on that altimeter discussion w/the F-16. I'm an F-16 Avionics Technician at Spangdahlem AB in Germany.

There -is- altitude information displayed on the HUD, and it can be switched between RALT (Radar Altimeter,) Baro Altimeter, or auto-select. The Baro-altimeter on the HUD is not corrected for baro. pressure.

The standard, primary altimeter sits on the front console, and it can be switched between electric mode (Fed from the Inertial Navigation System) and Barometric Pressure mode, fed from the central air data computer. In Baro mode, there is a little dial right on the face of the alt that lets you input the baro pressure. To quote Johng:

"Because F-16 's weren't spec'd for airshow performance. They are multirole single-seat fighters, which means pilot workload needs to be managed. The heat of combat is no place to tune in ATIS for the latest alti setting. THis is getting quite hypothetical to argue about though.

Hey, for all I know the HUD may have a separate AGL function displayable on the HUD. Maybe it does have a good 'ol std altimeter. WHatever."

That is true. The pilot usually gets his ATIS info while he's still sitting there running up all his systems prior to take-off. In the heat of combat, which for an F-16 is usually in small chunks of time (i.e. a bombing run, or an AGM-88 launch over a SAM site) there would be no need to reset your baro pressure. There won't be a drastic change in baro pressure in a short period of time, and a small change in baro pressure would equate to a minor error in displayed altitude. I don't know about you, but whether or not it says 50' AGL or 60' AGL, that's too darn low

Dave
Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 AM
earlheron

Hi Dave:

Thanks for your reply. Posts 23, 27, 57 seem more credible than those in this thread that refer to altimeter settings.

Earl
Old 12-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This whole discussion is somewhat pointless. People have spoken to the pilot, who said he simply miscalculated the apex altitude for the maneuver. He flew it exactly as he planned, he just planned wrong. Having flown hundreds of hours of aerobatics though, with a fair amount of low altitude flying, I have a problem with part of his decision making.

He stated he was 1000' low on the initial pull. When he rolled inverted and started the pull through the loop, it should have been VERY apparent to him that he was too low. The visual cues at 1500' vs 2500' are VERY different and he should have recognized the error immediately and simply aborted the loop and rolled wings level. Yes it would screw up the show timing.. but he'd still be flying. According to people I've spoken with, he could have aborted the loop all the way to 70 degrees inverted nose down.. nearly vertical.. and still come away clean. Once past 70 degrees.. he was going to crash.

As for the aircraft behaviour.. The bottom of the loop was nothing more than a 25 unit alpha 'limit pull'. In other words.. the FCS gave him 25 units alpha and nothing more. The leading edge devices droop on a hard pull like this to increase the camber of the wing, creating more lift. In high speed flight, they actually reflex to reduce drag at high mach.

One other thing I really want to restate.. People said he maneuvered the aircraft away from the crowdline for safety. This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, and I can prove it. Watch the cockpit video. On the pull into the climb, he is very clearly on runway heading. As he is rounding out the bottom of the 5/8 loop, he is some 20 degrees off runway heading pointed away from the crowd. Having seen the T-birds fly on many occasion, this is NOT the standard practice. This manuever should exit show center on runway heading. Somewhere in the 5/8 loop, after recognizing a problem, he purposely flew the airplane away from the crowd, and then again using his head.. he banged out rather than ride it in trying to 'save it'. That.. is where thinking ends.. and training, and training, and training takes over..
Old 12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Johng

Well, I suppose it is pointless, but I agree that the pilot maneuvered to avoid the crowd. However, it was done from the beginning of the maneuver, as if it was a pre-planned cheat. As soon as he rolls inverted, it is obvious that he is not wings-level inverted, but 5-10 degrees off well before the nose goes below the horizon. Watch the video carefully.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this photo out of the ejection!!! If anyone wants the full res version, e-mail you e-mail address to [email protected] , please no PMs (takes longer).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54041.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	94613  
Old 01-26-2004, 09:50 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Check out this shot, not as bad as this one

Dave R
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56501.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	94643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39543.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	94644  
Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 PM
rpmtech

Anyone have the thunderbird video? Cant find it online.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Johng

look around at f-16.net
Old 01-27-2004, 02:21 AM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: RE: Thunderbirds crash video

Try this link

http://www.ktvb.com/cgi-bin/bi/video...?title=5101714
Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 AM
rpmtech

Thanks for the link. I refuse to use Real-Piece-Of-S$%& player, so I guess I wont be seeing it

Trumpetjet hows that Sophia treating you? I love all turbines- new, old, obsolete etc
That is kero burning right with the electric oil pump?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:44 PM
F106A

Hi,
Here's a link to the two video's and the cause of the crask.
http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/s...ad.php?t=58696
BRG,
Jon
Old 01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
rpmtech

Jon, the link doesent seem to work.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

http://www.wedda.demon.nl/tbird.wmv

right click, save as...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:15 PM
F106A

Rick,
Just checked, it works OK for me. The link will get you to a thread at frugals world about the crash. At the end there are two links, one for the cockpit and the other a ground video.
If it still's not working, try www.frugalsworld.com and select Falcon 4 forum and then you'll see the thread.
Jon
Old 01-27-2004, 03:55 PM
rpmtech

Thanks guys, Looks like a big whoops plain and simple.[X(]
Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 AM
jtc2162

Hey guys, my name is Jeff. I run Colegrove Aviation Media. I noticed i was getting a bucnh of refers from this forum so i decided to post in here. I will be updating the site with new videos and images tomorrow. I will post the thunderbirds crash again. Right now there is a video called "Motorin" up on the site. Anyone here know my brother, he goes by the name "Scole" on this board?