Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3W to DA

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:25 AM
extragiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3W to DA

Just look at the DA compared to the 3W. Dave Johnson takes pride in his product did you ever wouder why he left 3W. The man puts out the best engine. Everybody else is trying to compete with his engines and cant. Dave takes the time to develop and test engines before he sells them thats why there are not a lot of sizes available at this time. All the other engine manufatures should be scared because the day DA will offer all the same engines as them is the day they will be out of buisseness
Old 12-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

DA and 3W...they're both fricking 2-stroke motors with few moving parts and similar diaphragm carbs. The design details look pretty similar too. Gas....spark....compression.....no air leaks....and they both run. I've never sent a 3W in for service. I order the parts and fix 'em myself. I do sympathize with those who have received poor warranty service. I'd love to know what a "bench charge" is for a warrantied motor? Unless you crash it, take it apart, or do something dumb to it.....you shouldn't have to pay a dime for warranty work.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

While you're waiting for parts for your broken 3W,we're out flying our running DA's.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:53 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

3W DA WHATEVER..the quality and workmanship on either of these is first rate.I am nota competive type pilot so I imagine there are fine lines between the two but both are of a high quality..
Old 01-02-2004, 07:13 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

3W DA WHATEVER..the quality and workmanship on either of these is first rate.I am nota competive type pilot so I imagine there are fine lines between the two but both are of a high quality..
What brand gas engines are you running?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:54 AM
extragiles

I actually had a problem with my DA yesterday. I have not run the engine in a month. I went out in 40 degree whether and it actually took more than one flip to start it. One I got it going it was great as always.

Allenu
Old 01-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Ok, I'll step in here, I have snow on the ground now for a wee bit so a O flame fest is just what I need.
Here's the bottom line for me. You have LOST confidence in 3W. Sad fact but true, nonetheless. If you fly the 3W you will be forever wondering when the "next problem" will occur. It "WILL AFFECT" how you fly your plane, what you will be willing to do with it, and your overall "comfortability factor". You will not have the confidence to push the envelope with this plane. It will therefore hurt your learning curve, slow you down.
Make you timid instead of bold.
That's ALLOT of money spent just to have to worry about problems you clearly have the afore knowledge to prevent. Your obviously no dummy, you have apparently tremendous experience with gassers.
For me, service is just as important as performance. Parts availability is paramount. What good is the most powerful engine sitting on the bench awaiting parts?
That notwithstanding, you do not have confidence in 3W anymore.
That says it all for me.
Your going to put $3000-4000 in the air and wonder when the next hiccup will come, and HOPE it's not at 6 feet above the runway.
Way too much money to HOPE!
Your done, and you have shown allot of class trying to give 3W a second and third chance.
Times up.
I'll look forward to meeting you this spring at your club and watching you fly the wings off your new DA...
ORIGINAL: JLB

Otter I'm still with ya. All this waffling is making my head spin so I have
to stop before the dumb thing falls off. I'm headed for the shop right
now to put the standoffs for the DA in my Edge. Final answer.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:29 PM
JLB

BackAfter30,

Your comments are precisely on point. Thank's for the kind words.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:59 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mmmm, look what I just got for my cap[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=RAINFRO.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] This thing is going to move out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72728.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	87057  
Old 01-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Mike Bogh

BITE ME JOHNNY VH!!!
What, me jealous?
Damn Skippy I am!
Old 01-02-2004, 03:08 PM
stomper

Looks awesome John!
Going in your Cap I assume? Did you get the little Saito fuel filter with yours? I got one with my second 100 but not with my first one.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:45 PM
JohnVH

Yep, going to overpower the cap with it, I only got the engine, mufflers and exhaust, did some trading for this brand new baby! Im pumped, she is the most pretty engine I have seen. Thank you DA!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:02 PM
JLB

I've had one in my old 540 for a coup;e of years now and just pulled
it out for a little winter maintenance. Darn thing is just as shiny today
as when I hid it in there 2 years ago. Quality shows.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:10 AM
Biglen
My Feedback: (5)

Geeze, with everyone slamming 3W so badly there should 1 for sale cheap! Anybody out there got a 106 QS for sale?
[email protected]
Old 09-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Default 3W to DA

My friend's 3W 106 just broke a crankshaft during a flight last weekend. He lost the airplane as a result.

We are now down to just 2 die-hards flying 3W at our field out of about 10 to 12 active contest pilots. Our highest class pilot flies Advanced and still insists he should be flying 3W. He's very competitive and wins in the contests when his engine stays running. He drops out of 1st place when he spends the weekend with the cowl off twisting wrenches. The few 3W's left at our field have already gone to DA ignitions to try and solve their reliabilty issues.

The DA powered pilots just spend the contest weekend flying. I've flown both. Try and be loyal to whatever you want, and try to explain away all you want. I don't have time to deal with problems, so I fly what works consistently. My DA 100.

Hope to see you all at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout!!

Take care,

Dean Bird
2004 Sportsman Class Champion
JR-SCAT Scale Aerobatics Series
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM
JohnVH

ORIGINAL: Biglen

Geeze, with everyone slamming 3W so badly there should 1 for sale cheap! Anybody out there got a 106 QS for sale?
[email protected]
haha, you have not seen the swap shop.. they are always 3w's there for 700-900.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:35 PM
SpgBob

I dont understand why everyone is so down on 3w. I have a 150ss and a 106ss both are some of the strongest motors i have seen out there, we have DA and BME out at our feild and 3w just blows them away. I would put my motor up against anything else out there, also 3 others out at our feild have 106's and 150's and are very strong. Even the guys that run da admit that there is no comparison between the two motors. im not sayin that da isnt a bad motor, but they dont make that power that 3w does. and everyone is going to have some trouble with their motors once and a while. so quit giving 3w a bad name.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:10 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

I have had all 3 of the big 3 motors, DA 100, 3W 106, and BME 110. All three are fine motors, just a little different. The cadillac being the DA, reliable, smooth, good all around power, the best customer service without a doubt. The 106 like an old hot rod, 99% dependability, and brute torque. My 110 has only 1.5 gallons through it and can already tell its stronger than my DAs or 3Ws. Its a tad behind (what I can tell so far with 1.5 gallons of lawnboy through it) in torque from the 106, probably due to a shorter stroke than a 3W or DA, but top end power is no comparison. Pick one, set it up properly, and fly it. I have had 2 DAs, 6 3Ws, and now a BME, and no major gripes or complaints on any of them yet to date. Like I said each has its good/bad points. The DA is the preferred motor every where you go not because its the most powerful (which its not), its because when you need your motor fixed (very rarely) you usually get it back the same week you send it in. I think the 106 is a great 3D motor, good low end torque, and pretty darn good top end power as well. The 110 is suited for 28-30lb airplanes where you need the extra power for say an unlimited sequence. This topic has been killed to death in the past couple years. I would say almost everyone would agree with this statement, that most motor problems are operator error, not the motor.

SpgBob, you are right about the 3W out pulling the DA, but you got to admit after seeing the 110 run at full grunt there is nothing that compares.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

no you are not..I have a 3w and find it extremely reliable.....both da and 3w are cadillacs with respect to gas engines.both exhibit good enginnering and make no doubt the power is as strong as anything out there..but I guess its like buying a car.it's a matter of ones personal experinecs and tastes.me...I would never ever buy a chrylser product.ugh!but I have friends that think my explorer is crappy too.my point is that 3w and da arer highly valued engines..I also think its a matter of weight an d expectations..
Old 10-01-2004, 05:26 AM
stomper

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

I have had all 3 of the big 3 motors, DA 100, 3W 106, and BME 110. All three are fine motors, just a little different. The cadillac being the DA, reliable, smooth, good all around power, the best customer service without a doubt. The 106 like an old hot rod, 99% dependability, and brute torque. My 110 has only 1.5 gallons through it and can already tell its stronger than my DAs or 3Ws. Its a tad behind (what I can tell so far with 1.5 gallons of lawnboy through it) in torque from the 106, probably due to a shorter stroke than a 3W or DA, but top end power is no comparison. Pick one, set it up properly, and fly it. I have had 2 DAs, 6 3Ws, and now a BME, and no major gripes or complaints on any of them yet to date. Like I said each has its good/bad points. The DA is the preferred motor every where you go not because its the most powerful (which its not), its because when you need your motor fixed (very rarely) you usually get it back the same week you send it in. I think the 106 is a great 3D motor, good low end torque, and pretty darn good top end power as well. The 110 is suited for 28-30lb airplanes where you need the extra power for say an unlimited sequence. This topic has been killed to death in the past couple years. I would say almost everyone would agree with this statement, that most motor problems are operator error, not the motor.

SpgBob, you are right about the 3W out pulling the DA, but you got to admit after seeing the 110 run at full grunt there is nothing that compares.

Very good and fair comparison!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

look what i got.

Name:	Ca80201.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	178487  
Old 10-01-2004, 10:16 AM
joel_jones
My Feedback: (111)

GET THE MOTOR OUT OF THE PLASTIC AND LET'S HANG IT ON SOMETHING..

SMOKE ON
Old 10-01-2004, 10:20 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Got it hung on RadioCraft Staudacher

Name:	Mk25374.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	178494  
Old 10-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Gremlin Castle

I use the DA-150s in a different arena, big iron warbirds. I have been using one for two years in a 55# Bearcat. It breaks ground in about four fuselage lengths and climbs at a 45 degree angle as long as you can see it.
They are smoother running than some of the other 150 cc motors that I have seen and are utterly reliable on throttle response.
No motor is perfect but they sure seem to do well in this application.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:26 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: CAPtain232

If all the 3W engine problems are due to the owners,why do the same people switch to DA and have no problems?

The MILLION DOLLAR question!!!
Because Dave test runs and "properly" adjusts each engine before it leaves the shop. Take a wiff of your new DA when you open the bubble wrap. 3 of the 3W engines I am currently flying would not run out of the box. 3W would probably catch some of these proposed problems if they run in there product like DA does.The initial start-up and carb set-up is left to the purchaser. My only complaint with 3W. If you set one up in left field you will be on RCU with a bad 3W. I fly DA & 3W and own several of each. Have had a couple BME's too. There all as reliable as any. Problems I have had can happen to any. And when all is broken in and set up correctly my 3W's make more power than my DA's. I am anxious to get ahold of an extreme. walt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.