Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Super Flying King twin-engined version

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Super Flying King twin-engined version

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 AM
regmason
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SFK First Flight

Congrats Bob! I agree with Mike. After seeing your beautiful craft in flight, I am going to redouble my efforts to finish my twin.

Reg Mason
Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: SFK First Flight

Thanks Art, Michael, and Reg
I think Bruce Tharpe talks to everyone personally who is building his model. What other kit manufacturer can say that who is operating on this scale? Two of us were working together on this model and he spoke to each of us on different occasions answering questions, never acting like he is too busy, even though he is. He can barely keep up with demand anymore. He earns this success every day.
Bob LeBlanc
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM
RCSHOWCASE

Default RE: Super Flying King twin-engined version

To all the fans of the SFK! (twin or otherwise)

Finally got to the point where I can see what the complete model will look like.! WOW.

I have two ZDZ 40 RV engines installed with Supersonic inverted Pitts mufflers (they are painted black and are hard to see in the picture. I am also going to paint the cylinders black) and 20 x 10 Bambula props. I think this is enough power to do most anything at all with the SFK....

Time now to install the radio and servos. I am installing two receivers; one in the wing for the throttles, chokes, flaps and ailerons and one in the fuselage for the rudder and elevators.

Then: lots and lots of sanding and filling and covering....

David Garrison

RC Showcase
ZDZ, RCS and Roto Gas engines
www.rcshowcase.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35622.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	120120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52923.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	120121  
Old 04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Bob757FL

David,
One of the nices twin cowls I've seen. Beautiful work! Keep us posted on your progress with more pictures. What covering scheme are you planning?
Bob
Old 04-09-2004, 12:34 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

You know, after looking at that plane and especially the Twin Engine version, I think one of those with some monster floats would be Awesome!

Any one considering doing it?
Old 04-09-2004, 05:35 PM
regmason

David,
I have been scooped! Your twin looks great. Since I am new to twin engined aircraft, I would like to hear more about your radio equipment layout. Are you going to use bell cranks or separate servos for the throttles and chokes? Which channels will do what function? I noticed that your mufflers look very similar to a Bisson muffler that I used on a DA50. I have had lots of problems with the muffler coming loose. I noticed that the heads of the bolts protrude from the mounting holes. I tried this method using a safety wire wrapped around the the bolt heads. It didn't work either. The bolts remained tight but the muffler was loose anyway. What did you do special? Did you use a gasket and Permatex?
When I finish my twin sometime in 2006, I will report more on my progress. RIK756: Floats in 2007?

Reg Mason
Old 04-17-2004, 05:37 PM
michaelburton01
My Feedback: (3)

The Maiden Voyage.
Well actually it happened last week. I went out for taxi testing at 6:45CST. I was really wanting to fly earlier that day, but as they say, There will be no wine before it's time. So I left "Der Hanger Fisher" (my Buddy's garage) with my mates in tow. more like a "Peanut gallery" if ya ask me. Off to the field we were. Like a slow parade, This MASSIVE plane made my poor little ford ranger short-bed look like a victim more than an aircraft transport. The sun was dropping fast and my navigation lights were not ready. I fired up the BT-86 Twin with the Fuji On-board start. WICKED COOL ! ..... made a couple of slow passes across the field. third pass I opened up the BT-86 to half throt. WE HAVE LIFT OFF ! ! OMG! throttle back ! sit her down. nice........ very nice...... A huge smile crossed my face. It Flys!

Fast Forward to today

DUDE ! IF CAN READ THIS GO TO
WWW.BTEMODELS.COM
AND ORDER A SFK TODAY ! !

The plane: BTEMODELS SFK weighing in at 46# on the flight line.
Weather conditions: Bright sun shinny day. Winds are wavering between 10 and 20 mph with gust to 26SSE BEAUTIFUL !
I'm still grinning... This is one wonderfully crafted, Well engineered, Magnificent Flying Machine.
The throttle comes up, the FUJI gathers up a head of steam and effortlessly pulls this plane into the air in under 30 feet. no flaps.
I prolly could have done it in 10 or 15 feet...but why. The climb out at about 45 deg and very very stable. The GYRO is working overtime I'm sure. The winds are gusty and random, the wings are level and rock solid. (I just love Futaba Equipment.)
The thoughts running in my head at the moment of liftoff??? Your kidding me! I'm airborne like a sig kadet, yet climbing like a C-130 with Jato. UN Freaking Believable! Amazing!

Trim needed a little left aileron, and maybe a bit down on the elevator. All servo throws are as per MFGR. (Bruce, you ROCK !)
The engine response is crisp and comes on with authority. Aborted landings are no worry. The FUJI BT-86 is one amazing engine. (Prop is a 24x12 Zinger) Head temp at full power is 310deg. RPM is 6500. Average head temp at 4000rpm is 260deg.
The actual flying of the craft reminded me of a trainer with simple aerobatic abilities. It was the first day of flight so I din't push it too hard.

LANDINGS
Simply effortless.
Downwind, throttle back to half. Turn base, throttle back to 1/4. Turn final, Throttle back to idle, let the gryo keep the wings level, and set the glide slope, Airspeed at this point was a fast run,...... 100 yards out now 50 feet altitude, slowing to a fast walk. (The unusually high wind conditions are a bit enjoyable) 30 yards out and slowing to a walk, 10 yards out 5 altitude, 5 yards out 2 feet till touchdown, During the last 10 feet the plane was nearly HOVERING and touched down like it was testing swimming pool water. the roll out was only 10 feet IF THAT !

I'm still grinning. The crowd that gathered was cheering like you can't believe. I didn't even know they were there.

As much as it would please me to rant and rave on Bruce, And the guys here in this forum for their insight and sharing of thoughts. I can't... I'm going back out and enjoying the day, and my SFK.
Full flight video will be on my website soon. www.agscout.com

Mo Later,
Michael
Old 04-18-2004, 04:26 AM
regmason

Mike,
Glad to hear other R/Cers aren't afraid to deal with the wind. Winds here in OK have been 20 - 35 all week. It makes you work harder to fly, but is a character building experience. Sounds like the SFK could care less about the wind. I am looking forward to your video. Which brings me to a small beef I have with RCU. Where is the video of Bruce Tharp's booth at Toledo? He told me his was next to Queque's big YAK. I watched Queque's, but where is the SFK video?[] RCU is missing a great chance at highlighting a beautiful and interesting plane.

Reg Mason
Old 04-18-2004, 12:42 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations to Bob and his friend John, to Shawn and the HAWKS crew, and to Michael Burton - a true artist!

I've had a special feeling about this design since its inception. It was inspired by a single phone call from an enthusiastic Canadian modeler, Walter G. He was so excited about the model from the beginning, it was infectious. It's only been on the market a year and a half, but it's already been the focal point of some of the most heartwarming and inspirational stories in my many years in this hobby and business. It's been great to follow your projects, hear about your struggles and successes, and help in any way I could.

There are a lot of great personalities in this small group of SFK builders, a lot of character, and a lot of creativity. Several of you have paid me some very nice compliments in this thread. Thank you very much, but you are the ones who took big boxes of wood and created your birds - that's something to be very proud of! Again, congrats to all of you.

C'mon Reg, you're falling behind
Old 04-25-2004, 07:38 AM
michaelburton01

The video of my first flights is available now on www.agscout.com
There is a small version and a larger version. After viewing, your comments are welcome.
Enjoy.

I did!

Michael
Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 PM
NavyE6FE

After looking at David's pictures, very nice by the way, I bet the SFK would really look neat with a V-hull and a water rudder... the twin version anyway.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:07 PM
regmason

Mike,
Downloaded the big file. Took a while, but well worth it. The Big Green Mean Machine leaped into the air and floated back to earth like a leaf. Doesn't look like you would ever need to use the flaps, but would be interesting to see anyway. Hey, Navy in OKC, if you want to see a twin-engined version in progress, contact me. I live in MWC and fly at Baxter Field.

Fowler flaps done. Mike, I am "green" with envy.

Reg

Name:	Xu62636.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	126900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56363.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	126901  
Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM
michaelburton01

Right nice FLAP job there Reg !

Now get back to work ! YOUR MISSIN OUT !

Michael
Old 05-06-2004, 06:29 AM
regmason

Mike and others,
Center section nearly done. Engine nacelles are next. I must love hatches as I have six on the center panel. I have had visitors lately to check on my progress. Photo is of my grand niece Sadie Manicom. She was all smiles until just as I snapped the picture, I told her she was going to be the test pilot. Say whaaaa? Don't worry guys. I wouldn't trust an untried twin. But if you have a nice stable single, she is available.

Reg Mason

PS: Photo was taken a couple of months ago. A lot more progress has been made than is shown.

Name:	Qo41234.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	129658  
Old 06-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Bob757FL

Reg and David,
Just checking in to see how you both are progressing with your SFK Twins. I thinks its been about a month since the last time we heard from you. We are all looking forward to seeing your finished aircraft and reading your flight reports. If you're like me, your maiden flights will be a big highlight of your entire RC modeling careers.
Bob
Old 06-15-2004, 11:47 PM
michaelburton01

Ata Boy Bob !

Light a fire under um. I have been flying the crap out of my SFK. Tonight my heli buddy and I were invited to a local club field to fly. He fly's a Vario Benzin Trainer (some trainer, it hauls *****). Anyway, before I was able to unload it from the truck (2 trucks actually) there were 10 club members gathering around asking all kinds of questions. I always start by giving Bruce a big plug and then onto the specifications. Jaws hit the tarmac when I told them it weighed in at 50 pounds and carried a gallon of fuel. Onboard starter and fully functional navigation lights were just icing on the cake. I always do a run-up and control check before I turn it loose.
The BT-86 had all of them talking under their breath when I lifted off and pulled it straight up. Taking a fifty pound airplane to the tenth floor is easy with the BT-86. A few weeks back I put a 24-10 on the SFK and it sounded like an INDY car passing by, impressive, very impressive. I'm impressed every time I fly the SFK.

Despite my little mishap (ripped the main gear out from under it about 4 weeks ago) This plane is very forgiving. Easily repaired. And takes command of the airspace with authority! I built this to actually do some work. But it's a blast to fly, so I have been playing more than working.

I find myself constantly praising Bruce for his craftsmanship. I can't say enough. I have over 5 gal of fuel through it and each time it's shear pleasure to fly. Oh, And when we fly here in my home town just at the edge of the city, it always draws a crowd. I especially like to offer the youngsters, who drag their mom's and dad's out to the field to see the Big Bird in the sky, some ground school and stick time. And I have found a few adults standing inline to give it a go also. I think the SFK should be nominated as an ambassador to the sport. Because when these youngin's walk away you can see in their eyes and the smile on their face that it sparks their imagination and desire to know more about flying.

So Reg, David, and anyone else building this wonderful flying machine, GET BUSY !

Mo later all !
Michael
Old 06-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Bob757FL

Michael,
I just finally was able to download your Agscout 154 mb video. The self starting Fuji is awesome! I'm double gloved with a leather inner and a welder's glove on the outside and here you are pushing a switch to prime and then hitting the ignition and its running. How cool! Your video shows how well the plane handles even in a somewhat confined space. Those homes and telelphone poles don't look all that far away! I'm not that daring yet with it.

That is really nice of you to let the kids have a shot at flying it, too. (You do have a trainer cord and box don't you? )

The IMAC guys still complement it probably because its not like the rest of the planes and the only way to have one is to order a box full of wood and start building. You're right, a small crowd always comes over to take a closer look and ask questions. When that happens, I always turn off the switches or discontinue whatever I'm doing and give them full attention. Its curteous and even more importantly, it prevents forgetting to put in some wing joiner bolts or priming the engine with the ignition on! Mine has been getting about 2 flights a month. I always make it a 1/2 day event with my building partner and set a time and look forward to it for a week. There's a big difference between going out to the field to fly an RC plane and going out to the big field to fly the Sky King! Maybe next year the SFKers could all plan on going to the Joe Nall event and getting them all in one place for a change. Never been there but it would be a great excuse to "have" to go.
Bob
BTW, I too use the 24-10 prop and it seems to be perfect. I have a 26-10 in the closet but am thinking that won't be necessary especially once this engine breaks in.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:15 AM
regmason

Bob and Mike,
Don't give up on me yet. As treasurer (I do all the dirty work) and a flight instructor at our club, I have been rather busy of late. I also have been cheating and been working on about five other planes at the same time. I am ready to mount the engines on the SFK. I wanted to run the engines some before mounting. The big bird Tru-Turn spinners prop openings were too large for the 18x10 props. The 120 size spinners are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Picked up a couple of JR 950S receivers for dual setup. The JR 500A gyros that I want to use are not available yet. Enclosed, last pics of wing center section with 6 hatches. With outer panel aileron hatches, that means 8 total. Very time consuming, especially if you are the world's most anal-retentive builder.

Reg

By the way, I wish David Garrison would share some of his twin-engined radio setup for us novice multi-engined types.

Name:	Sq46099.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	143804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50850.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	143805  
Old 06-16-2004, 07:34 AM
shawnkappner
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Super Flying King Single

I look at this post every once in a while and thought I would chime in with the progress on our Clubs SFK (We call it "The Charity Flyer". We began flying it this sping and we have taken it to several flying events for charity. To date 57 pilots have flown the SFK on a buddy cord. It has been in the air for over 10 hours and just keeps getting better and better. Several weeks ago we took it to a flying event in Indiana where the winds were a constant 20-25 MPH (conservative number) right down the runway. Only 3 other planes flew for a few minutes because of the high wind. We had the SFK in the air three times for over 2 and 1/2 hours. At one point I got brave and pointed the SFK into the wind, drop the flaps and dropped power to a couple clicks above idle. At about 40 feet over the runway I stopped it dead in the air then proceeded to drive it backwards down the runway! That was totally cool. We have a 1/2 gallon tank in it with a G-62 and a 24 X 6 Zinger prop. When the 6-62 was new running on Lawnboy Ashless, it was underpowered turning that prop at 6,150. Now that it is broken in using Amsoil the G-62 is turning 6,600. I still would say it doesn't have much excess power but it is noticably better than before. Thats all for now.

Shawn
Old 06-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Bob757FL

Shawn,
Thanks for the update on your club's SFK. I did read about it in Model Aviation. You guys are doing a wonderful thing with that plane. You could carry a sharpie with you and let each person that gets a shot at flying it, sign it. I do that with my trainer. It does not have 57 signatures though! Not even close. Your club must have set the SFK record for most time aloft unless Bruce has been up flying his alot. The stopping in the wind and backing it up gives me something to shoot for now on a good constant wind day.
Bob

Reg, we aren't giving up on you. Its a lot of work for one person especially with double the engines, extra plumbing and fowler flaps too. Just want to encourage you to keep going with it. It will be worth the effort! And all the hatches will really come in handy later.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:02 PM
michaelburton01

It's gone....... It's all gone.......
A word to the wise.
If you have a backup battery system. Use it.
If you don't ..... GET ONE NOW!

Name:	Ge94754.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	145509  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:08 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

OOOHHH!! MAN!, That sucks!
Old 06-21-2004, 12:22 AM
regmason

[]Mike,
Your latest picture broke my heart. I had definitely planned on a dual receiver system and hadn't thought much about dual batteries, but that has now all changed. Further words fail me. I am so sorry.

Reg Mason
Old 06-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Bob757FL

Michael,
I too am sorry for your loss. This truly sucks. What a beautiful airplane you created. I'm glad you documented the Agscout on video for everyone to see including you for years to come.
Bob
What servos and battery system did you use?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:58 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heartbreaking and sickening. It hurts to see ANY model airplane go in, but especially ones that represent the fruits of you labor.

I don't know any more than you guys about this crash, but Michael mentioned batteries. A dual battery system of any kind is almost a must for this kind of investment. Dual receivers are good too, but if you had to pick one over the other, go with dual batteries (and switches). Use a cycler to stay on top of your battery's condition, and replace them every few years.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Michael. If any of you guys have been to his website, you know Michael is a creative, energetic guy. This is the kind of event that can turn a builder away from model airplanes, but my guess is Michael will come back with a vengeance. Hang in there friend, the hobby needs guys like you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.