Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Panther

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Panther

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther

I have one,with fiberglass fuse, how much for a set of wingtip tanks?
Old 08-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reserved Panther Kit

B777,

I would like to get on the list to reserve a Panther kit. Please E-mail me for the specifics. [email protected]

Thanks, Kevin Greene
Old 08-16-2002, 05:48 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

Default Panther

B777,
Please reserve me a kit also. I may have you do some assembly.
E-mail me to confirm.

Thanks,

Jack Beetz
[email protected]
Old 08-16-2002, 11:01 PM
B777

Default Panther

Thanks for the interest.

I have Warren, Wd40, JKS, Kevin and Jack on the list now plus three local guys here. I will keep one for myself so that leaves one Panther left. Please state your intention!! Reason for making ten is that I have to inspect the moulds after and see whether they can use for more production. Ten should be alright at the moment.

I can make extra wing tanks for you Terry and the cost will be very minimal, I promised. Love to help you get your Panther airbourne.

I am organizing the cost to make the Panther in ARF with retracts and brakes installed. My version has ailerons and flaps and would require total of 9 good servos plus one if you want emergengy shut down feature and minimal 8 channels radio.

Will keep you guys posted.

B777

you can contact me at [email protected] or more personally at [email protected]
Old 08-20-2002, 07:27 AM
B777

Default Panther

more picture..our squadron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22215_11884.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	9367  
Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Mach1
My Feedback: (5)

Default Panther

B777

Any idea on when the kits maybe ready to ship?

Will you offer gear and struts as shown?

Thanks
W.G. Hunter
Old 08-20-2002, 01:58 PM
jks

Default Photo

B777, THAT is one awesome photo! I've never seen a line-up like that before. You guys must like Drones.
Jim
Old 08-21-2002, 01:09 PM
B777

Default Panther

Yes, we love the Panthers and many of those in the pictures are Ramtec/OS91 powered. We have more and the picture just captured those that were there that Sunday!!! Most of them are still flying with very few casualties.

I will offer full retract/struts/brakes just like mine since we use these same system for larger turbine jets including the Kangaroos. I preferred air-in/spring-out retracts and this will be the offered system.

I have a picture of the last Panther from the original batch in primer. Full retract/hydraulic brakes as well. I am thinking of having the Panther in this stage of finish rather than ARF. What do you think? This one is for ducted-fan and my new batch will be for turbine only.

I found this Panther sitting around at one guy's house and offered to take it back. Still in good shape!!

B777

Name:	22349_11884.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	9368  
Old 08-21-2002, 01:14 PM
747drvr

Default Panther

What fluid are you using in the hydraulics ?

A few years back I was allowed to ride the jumpseat in a 777 going into Phuket. Nice machine !!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:12 PM
B777

Default Panther

Hi 747,

Phuket...that is nice..diving or just getting away from Jet A fume?

I was on 747-200/300 for 2 years then moved to 747-400 for 4 years and now with 777 (7 years now). Great Boeing planes.

I use automobile power steering fluid for my hydraulic brakes and this is more than adequate. The area of the piston is more critical for stopping power. I also use normal gasket sheet (0.8-1.5mm) for brake pad.

Do you come to Bangkok on duty? Email me if you are coming and I can take you around the PST Jets factory and through my jets collections. This offer is also good to any jet interested modeler passing by Bangkok!

B777

Name:	22391_11884.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	9369  
Old 08-21-2002, 07:33 PM
Terry Holston

Default Panther

What wheels are you using?

I have the Retracts for mine (Robart), but haven't coughed up the $380.00 Glennis wants for the scale wheels and brakes.

I might go for a set of yours, if the price is right.

Gettin' the hots to get the Panther DONE!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:11 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Default Panther

Please reserve me a kit also and send me a email.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:53 PM
B777

Default Panther

I use Sullivan SkyLite 3.5" for the main and 2.5" on the nose. Great combination and SkyLite wheels are the best so far for jets. Robart wheels are fine but you will need to put foam insert as these wheels are too soft for effective braking and they will warp after sitting for a week. I use SkyLite on all my turbine jets.

Wd40, I sent you email and you are already on the list.

Good thing about reserving the kit here is that you are not obligated to anything and I am certained that when the kits come out, I will have no problem finding owners for them if you guys decided not to take them. I have to prove to you that my Panthers is up to certain standards and that the price is right. The above two pictures of the Panther in primer showed the early production with simple glassing technique. Not so bad...right?

Only one more F9F Panther left from first batch...(second batch...don't know when).

I am looking at up to 4 weeks for all 10 Panthers to finish. I use computerized foam cutting for wings and stabs and laser cutting on wood parts. I have very good quality South Africa balsa sheets as well. Canopy is vacuum formed.

Next challenge is to get the bird to you guys at the least cost!!! UPS or similar methods...any suggestion from experience? Thailand to USA, Europe, and Australia. I will use cardboard box to save weight but the ARF will need stronger and heavier packing technique. I have seen some clever packing during the 4th JWM so I may pursue similar techniques.

Panthers always...
B777
Old 08-22-2002, 01:45 AM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What a nice machine

B777:

You do good work from the photos that you have included in this thread. I wished that I could order one of your next batch of Panthers but my budget is blown for the rest of the year now.

Checking back through this thread and looking at your pictures, are you going to write a instruction booklet to go along with this kit? If so, you should definetly use the pictures in this thread to illustrate the important parts and steps.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:39 AM
B777

Default Panther

Good points. Yes full illustrated instruction booklet will come with the kit. I will use my Panther along with the one in primer for contruction details. I love to take pictures and I use digital camera, so I don't think much..just aim and shoot then select the best ones later. Construction manual is not a problem and Marty Cowan has offerred additional references on Panther as well.

B777
Old 08-22-2002, 08:26 PM
Kevin Greene

Default Panther

B777,

While you are laying up the fuselage for my Panther can you put a little more material in the speed brake/flap/gear door area for me to stiffen that area up a little. I plan to make the speed brakes operational on mine as well as the inner flaps. I know that I will have outer gear doors, but I'm undecided about the inner ones. Let me know how much the additional cost (if any) will be. I've been waiting for a long time for someone to finally come out with a fiberglass fuse for the Panther. After bugging Nick Ziroli Jr. for years I finally gave up. I don't think that the Zirolis' understand just how popular this model could be. I can hardly wait for mine. Mine will be P-80 powered.

Thanks, Kevin Greene
Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Mach1

Default Panther

I'm with you Kevin, I can hardly wait! :spinnyeye

I've had the Ziroli plans for years and just couldn't bring myself
to cut that balsa tree down in my back-yard !

Hunter
Old 08-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Kevin Greene

Default Balsa tree

Mach 1,

It would take only one balsa tree?!?!? I just could not bring myself up to the task of planking that fuse. I even purchased a lot of foam to try to make my own plug. After getting started, planking didn't look so bad. I'm just glad Mr. B777 came along!!! This will be my winter project along with either an Avonds F-15 or F-16 that a friend wants me to build for him. I'm finishing up his Hot Spot now.

I was told that the fuse that was origially laid up by Nick Sr. was off by 1/8 of an inch "somewhere". I believe one side was wider than the other. It was invisible to the eye but when the formers were added the problem became evident. All sales of the fuse were supended and the molds wound up at Robart.

We're going to get that fiberglass Panther after all!!! What landing gear do you plan to use? I'm looking at the Robart 630's with Trim wheels for the mains with brakes. I have this setup on a Hot Spot and it so far has been bullit proof. I get super smooth stops with the Ultra Precision proportional brake valve.

I would like to keep in touch with everyone that receives one of Mr. B777's kits to track the progress and help each other if needed. I wonder if the Panther kit will come with a thrust tube?

Kevin
Old 08-23-2002, 01:52 AM
B777

Default Panther

I have very successful bifurcated pipes on the Panthers here and will work well with any turbine in the size of KJ66 or Mw54.

I can have this included. The fuse will be very strong with gel-coated so you can make all kind of mods in the gear and speed brake area. Wood formers will be modified from the original plan ensuring more precise fittings.

I cann't wait to get the Panthers out either...but I will have them out for sure. I stopped planting balsa trees for a long time now!! They grow much better in South Africa.

B777
Old 08-23-2002, 05:15 AM
cdellin

Default 747 Classic

Hi 777,

I would like to get your email so the next time I'm in Bangkok I can give you a call. I'm a 747 classic Captain with Atlas Air and have many hours on old birds of yours. I think we have six ex- Thai birds. In fact the sim we just bought is being modified to be like the Thai birds, ie three position HSI switch and ILS head on center console.

I have a friend finishing up a CAI Panther as his first turbine. I am trying to talk him into something a little simplier....

Sorry to intrude guys...

See ya....
Chris
[email protected]
Old 08-23-2002, 09:00 AM
B777

Default Panther

Chris, HSI...what's that? Just joking, I have flown the classic 747 as well. It has just been HD, PFD, FMS, GPS, etc...lately. Have not seen the classic HSI for awhile. Thai still has two 747-300s with classic instruments!!

My email is [email protected] or [email protected] and let me know when any of you guys are in town. If you are here on Sunday, we go fly jets.

B777
Old 08-23-2002, 08:57 PM
wd40

Default Ziroli Panther

I am going to fly the Panther Saturday for the frist flight. I hop it goes ok,you guys can give me some input on what to look out for.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Kevin Greene

Default Panther Pics

WD-40,

Can you post any pics of your plane now that it is ready to fly? If you do, please take some of the engine compartment and landing gear area too. I'm a BIG Panther fan---On my honeymoon my new bride and I took a time out and spent several hours at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola FL.!!! I shot two rolls of film on the Panther that is hanging from the ceiling there. The lighting is terrible there even with a flash but I got what I needed.

Michael, or anyone else, if you are in the west TN area---send me an E-mail. I have access to a full scale runway. We fly on weekdays only and in the morning. Full scale traffic is too heavy on the weekends but practically nonexistant during the week.

Kevin
Old 08-24-2002, 05:12 PM
wd40

Default panther

I would love to come down and fly call me at 931-490-1978 or give me your number and I will call form work.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:20 PM
B777

Default Panther

Hi Panther lovers,

Good news...the first two Panthers came out very nice with white gel coat and will ease lots of finishing efforts. Much lighter and stronger than the one I have. The moulds are still in very good shape. I am going to the factory this Monday to get them home and make refinement of wood parts before having them cut for kit. I will post photos here very soon...stay tune...F9F Panthers are coming...you guys will like the quality of the glass work. I was amazed as well.

B777

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.