Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

PPG Omni Paint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PPG Omni Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PPG Omni Paint

Its the only PPG i have ever used. And yes, 50% or so cheaper than concept
Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
SPLIT S

You will be fine after the 24 hour window.

Dan
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

The other option is to use an "inter-coat clear". The only one I know that has it is House of Kolor, but maybe there are other options. Going to be a bit heavier, though.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
SPLIT S

DBC500 is an example of an inter coat clear. If the base is going to be sitting for an extended length of time it's a handy product to have available. It has many uses but in this case it would be applied as your last coat after color. If enough time passes (days - in the automotive world ) it can be scuffed for adhesion of the next layer without damaging the underlying color.

The reason for the 24 hour window ( and that's very conservative ) is that further coats of paint or clear rely on chemical adhesion. You need what's called a green surface for the next to bond correctly. If the base dries out too much, the next layers don't have quite the ability to bond to it as they should. It's important to note that this all refers to an automotive use where the finish sees all kinds of abuse over the life of the car. The correct adhesion is very important when it comes to chip resistance and the like. Our jets are pampered far beyond the average car (at least it's finish ) and aren't having gravel and other crap from the road shot at it at highway speed. The rules can be bent very far to make the products work for us in these circumstances, things you would normally never try on a customer's car. Have at it, you'll be fine.

Dan
www.gocolours.com
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Ridges

Hey Bob just to give you an idea of what kind of finish the omni brand paint's can give you this is my f-86 that i built and painted almost three yaers ago have not had any issues with it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
hoppy99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys for the help. Makes me more at ease about just laying on the clear.

John
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Obed
My Feedback: (2)

Bob:

I have used Omni for about 6 years and painted or repainted three of my own airplanes and one of my friends uses it alot as well. I think it is great product. I have used it in both single and dual stage and prep is the same, fill and sand, fill and sand, fill and sand, fill and sand until you are happy with the prep then prime and shoot. As far as the smooth transitions between colors with single stage I have found it to be not as smooth as the two stage but you can reduce the transition by using 1500 wet and gentley easing the edges. After you are finished with edges you have to polish it out it get the gloss back. It can turn out great but it takes alot of time. As far as matching I haven't had any problems. I would agree with some of the other guys about reducing clear, reduce by at least 200%, any clear. I don't see any reason to spend more money on paint, but I don't paint as well as some of the other guys in our hobby. Just my 2 cents worth.

David
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM
tbi110

i have to agree with the above responder. just krylon it with gloss or add rustoleum clear and ur finish will be awsome..trust me.