Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Large Building Board

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Large Building Board

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Large Building Board

OPPS the attachment didn't attach. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88197.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	204351  
Old 12-18-2004, 06:12 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

VERY COOL site Mike. And very cool birds.

Ray
Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd recommend (as has already been mentioned) getting some kitchen countertop from the 'rejected' pile at Lowes or Home Depot. Just keep it flat as it will bend if not kept flat.

Jerry
Old 12-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Need some advice. I'm building a new building table and am putting two base cabenets together on top of a 3/4 sheet of plywood that has locking wheels on it. My goal is to be able to move the board to the center of the shop when I need to get around a project. The problem I'm seeing is that after putting the solid core door and a 1/2 in sheet of sheetrock on it the final surface level will be 40 inches high.

I want to avoid bending over to build and want a higher surface but this may be too high. How high are your tables???

Will post photos later.

Pete
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM
dicknadine

Whats the purpose of the 1/2" sheetrock? suggest that you glue a sheet of Formica to the door. when you are ready for drawing plans. then get out the other door, that has a layer of large ceiling tile-- NOT the Foam type, use the paste board type, glued to its surface for pinning to, myself, I invested in one of the commercial Balsa topped ones, a long time ago. after a few years you end up with all kinds of different tools of all kinds. they all come in handy. dick
Old 12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612
I want to avoid bending over to build and want a higher surface but this may be too high. How high are your tables???
My main work bench top is 44" off the floor. The building table is closer to 36", but I use a short stool when working at that table.

The metric I use for setting work surface height is the height of the point of my elbow off the floor, whether standing or sitting.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

Whats the purpose of the 1/2" sheetrock? suggest that you glue a sheet of Formica to the door. when you are ready for drawing plans. then get out the other door, that has a layer of large ceiling tile-- NOT the Foam type, use the paste board type, glued to its surface for pinning to, myself, I invested in one of the commercial Balsa topped ones, a long time ago. after a few years you end up with all kinds of different tools of all kinds. they all come in handy. dick
Dick,
The sheetrock is very good for pinning your project to the board. As others have mentioned the door may not be "perfect" in the past I have added layers of paper between the door and sheetrock to shim it into a flat surface where needed. If it ever needs to be adjusted just shim with more paper (I use old medical journals)

Best part is you just toss the sheetrock and put down another piece when the surface is shot. I'll get well over a years use at my current pace of work.

Fred,
Thanks for the feedback. I will likely go ahead and finish it and see how comfortable I am at that height.

Pete
Old 01-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Rocketman612

As promised here is how I made the table. I started with 3/4 in ply. I bolted two steel L shaped bars to keep the base straight and warp free over time. Then mounted the locking wheels. Joined the base cabinets and set them in the platform. Made sure everything was plum and level then anchored the cabinets to the platform (I had placed lengths of 2x4 along the sides of the cabinet base and screwed into it up through the platform) Then placed four 3.5in corner braces on the cabinets followed by the solid core door. Again checked for level and shimmed where needed and screwed the door on from underneath. A length of primed baseboard was screwed to the front edge of the door to act as a backstop. this really works great to pin work against . Only have to get the 1/2 in sheetrock and set it down.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69696.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	209733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79507.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	209734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47118.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	209735  
Old 01-02-2005, 07:20 PM
dicknadine

congratulations, Sure looks good. when do we see some of the end products- fabricated on it? Happy New Year. dick
Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

congratulations, Sure looks good. when do we see some of the end products- fabricated on it? Happy New Year. dick
Thanks,
As soon as I can get the rest of the shop together. I'll be making some sawdust [8D]

I have to setup a station for my drillpress, sander and mini table saw. The room is a decent size but it sure fills up fast. I may have to store the planes on racks in the garage to make it work.

Happy New Year,
Pete
Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM
signalrk
My Feedback: (1)

I use a solid core door on 4x4 legs and 2x4 frame underneath. For the pinning surface I use a !QUOT!backing board!QUOT! used for putting up tile that I picked up at a Building supply warehouse. I tried to read though the posts and see if anyone else uses such a pinning surface. I don't know the name of the product but it has a rubberized textured surface on one side @1/16 thick and the rest !QUOT!@ 1/2!QUOT! appears to be a pressed type of fiberglass. I have been using them for @ 9 years and the pins push in with a bit of pressure but they hold in place perfectly with no play. The rubberized surface faces down and I cover the fiberglass side with thick brown contractors paper. When the paper gets oily, full of pinholes, and spotted with glue I just replace the paper. The table stays straight if I keep the legs shimmed properly. If anyone else has used this stuff I would like to know, just curious.